What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
SQ Diggers - I don't mind the Jets but imagine if you could come up with an arrangement with the Mines and RSL as two key potential identity groups.

Diggers as a name is iconic as an Aussie image, unlike most of the recent team additions (mine included) It would contrast like day and night with the Broncos, which would be key in creating rivalry but also clear distinction for new fans. If you use 'Diggers' in a doubled way (with a miner) you would also invite obvious connections with the corporate dollar found in the mining industry.
I think you'd be hard pressed getting RSL or public approval using 'diggers'. Personally, I believe that diggers should be reserved for the men and women who served our country in war rather than be used as mere mascot or promotional tool, which is what a team name in essence is.

Brutus

Referee
There is little doubt that Ipwich should be able to use the Jets name because... after-all... they are called the Jets and there has never been a team called the Jets in the NRL before.

In saying that, I'd like to see the next Brisbane team use an old BRL name, as I have mentioned before. If not; the Jets will do.

bobmar28

Bench
Exactly. That's why the NRL will prefer a 2nd SEQLD/Brisbane over a team from a small regional town.

Small regional town? Just how small is Brisbane? Campbelltown is a suburb 51k from Sydney CBD. Ipswich is 40k from Brisbane CBD and you describe it as a small regional town?

bobmar28

Bench
Totally disagree. The NSWRL is the forerunner to the NRL. Newtown played in the competition that is the forerunner to the NRL. Wynnum-Manly didn't.

Don't believe me? Check out David Middletown's yearbook and have a read through the list of premiership winners - 2010 says St. George Illawarra, 1999 syas Melbourne, 1998 says Brisbane, 1994 says Canberra, 1983 says Parramatta, 1976 says Manly, and 1910, 1933, and 1943 says Newtown.

Did Newtown have the Jets nickname in 1943?

bobmar28

Bench
No didn't complain 30 years ago because Ipswich was playing in a separate competition, but I wouldn't have blamed Newtown if they did complain. It as no different to Balmain Tigers/Easts Tigers or Penrith Panthers/Wests Panthers or Wests Magpies/Souths Magpies.

Newcastle Jets play Soccer, not Rugby League.

Not exactly sure about the Bluebags name, but I think it has something to do with the blue bags that were used in washing machines at the turn of the century, which according to folklore were used to then make players jerseys century ago, hense the all-blue Newtown jersey.

Am I to assume that Newtown were ok with Ipswich adopting the name Jets 30 years ago but now it is a problem?

bobmar28

Bench
Yeah, as if Redcliffe had any hope of entering the NRL - they stopped the Gold Coast using Dolphins and they are not even bidding for 2013.

Whether Newtown have no hope of re-entering the NRL or not is irrelevant.

What is relevent is that Ipswich have had the name Jets for 30 years and Newtown have had no problem with that.

Redcliffe complained about the Gold Coast Dolphins name the same week that name was adopted stating the fact that they may wish to enter a team in the NRL soon.

Newtown will never have a team in the NRL. There are way too many teams in Sydney as it is.

Last edited:
Totally disagree. The NSWRL is the forerunner to the NRL. Newtown played in the competition that is the forerunner to the NRL. Wynnum-Manly didn't.

Don't believe me? Check out David Middletown's yearbook and have a read through the list of premiership winners - 2010 says St. George Illawarra, 1999 syas Melbourne, 1998 says Brisbane, 1994 says Canberra, 1983 says Parramatta, 1976 says Manly, and 1910, 1933, and 1943 says Newtown.

Never dawned on me before. 10+33=43. Newtowns premiership years. Interesting.

As you were carry on.

BDGS

Bench
They should drop the idea of Western as well. As much as it hurts BDGS the NRL isn;t some small time suburban comp anymore.

What is this refering to? If you haven't forgotten I'm pushing for a national comp here, and into the future a comp that is greater then just a national comp.

South Brisbane Brothers will incorporate the whole of Brisbanes South, Logan & Ipswich (considering their proximity and general stereotypical association with South Brisbane).

Won't that just add fuel to the calls of "Brisbane Broncos little Brother" having the word 'Brothers' in there?

Swing and a miss...

You don't understand the word 'potential' do you?

BDGS

Bench
What is relevent is that Ipswich have had the name Jets for 30 years and Newtown have had no problem with that.

Redcliffe complained about the Gold Coast Dolphins name the same week that name was adopted stating the fact that they may wish to enter a team in the NRL soon.

Newtown will never have a team in the NRL. There are way too many teams in Sydney as it is.

That is irrelevant. If the Dolphins can stop the GC NRL team from using the name Dolphins and apparently the Sharks stopped the GC AFL team from using the name Sharks, then the Newtown Jets can stop anyone using the name 'jets'.

The fact that Ipswich used the name in a competition that the Newtown Jets were never apart of does not come into the picture when talking about an NRL bid.

But i probably can't expect that kind of understanding from you, especially when you can't even understand how to spell Ipswich in your Signature.

Brutus

Referee
That is irrelevant. If the Dolphins can stop the GC NRL team from using the name Dolphins and apparently the Sharks stopped the GC AFL team from using the name Sharks, then the Newtown Jets can stop anyone using the name 'jets'.

The fact that Ipswich used the name in a competition that the Newtown Jets were never apart of does not come into the picture when talking about an NRL bid.

Guess what??? Newtown have also never been part of the NRL, giving them no right to challenge Ipswich.

Ipswich are perfectly entitled to use the name because it's their name.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I m not disputing the poker machine issue. That is a separte arguement for another day.

You Sydney-haters just don't get it. Using the lame excuse that "Newtown will never re-enter the top-flight so Ipswich can use the Jets name" doesn't cut it. Why? Because that same Newtown club still exists. If the Newtown club did not exist at all in any way shape or form, then another team using Jets is fine. But Newtown still exists. The same Newtown that participated in the top-flight as the Jets. And because they still exist, the currrent Newtown in part and quite justifiably uses its proud history of being in the top flight for 76 years as a powerful method of promoting the club and their history and achievements to sponsors, etc. And that includes the Jets name.

If another NRL team called themselves the Jets, it would hurt the current Newtown commerically and financially. It would erode the current Newtown's name and image as a past participant in the top flight, so Newtown has every right to protect and defend it's name.

I have nothing against a 2nd Brisbane team and good luck to them - so long as they call themselves something else.

My personal opinion is that irrespective of the Newtown issue, unless the 2nd Brisbane team decides to promote themselves as an Ipswich-only team then it isn't going to be such a smart idea using the Jets name and alienating themselves from the rest of Brisbane.

I know that the usual Sydney-hating suspects such as Perth Red, Bobmar, and some (not all) Queenslanders that have been raised from birth to hate anything NSW irrespective of the reasoning or logic behind any constructive debate will no doubt send in their brainwashed anti-NSW replies... I am just stating my opinion and you are entitled to disagree.

I just feel that the arrogant way that some on this thread have called the Queensland bid 'Jets' as if Newtown Jets do not exist, that the Jets naming issue at least deserved a comment from a Newtown Jets fan which I feel is relevant on this Ipswich Jets bid thread.

I'll leave my comments at that on this topic. There is no point in replying to this post expecting another reply from me, as I don't want to waste my time arguing with Sydney-haters.

tl;dr I'm taking the bat and ball and going home. Also anyone who disagrees with me can be pigeonholed as a 'Sydney-hater'.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Yeah, as if Redcliffe had any hope of entering the NRL - they stopped the Gold Coast using Dolphins and they are not even bidding for 2013.

Whether Newtown have no hope of re-entering the NRL or not is irrelevant.

Redcliffe didn't actually stop anyone from doing anything. They said that they might pursue legal action if the GC didn't decide upon another name. Shortly thereafter the GC let the public choose the name and the rest is history.

Guess Searle/Broughton didn't want the bad press.

Mike_Jets

Juniors
Newtown has the name Jets registered for something... not sure what and how it works but I do know Newcastle had to clear it with us to use the name for the soccer team.
More importantly we are the Mighty Bluebags and I dont think we would care if a new team took the Jets name - most of us follow Newtown because its a great day out (3pm every other Saturday) for all - KBs on the hill and everybody welcome (even St George and Easts fans!).
If a new team even suggested that they might play a regular season game at Henson Park (the jewel in the crown of rugby league), I am pretty sure we would even sell their merch at ever game!!!

BDGS

Bench
Guess what??? Newtown have also never been part of the NRL, giving them no right to challenge Ipswich.

Ipswich are perfectly entitled to use the name because it's their name.

It doesn't matter what the name of the competition was whether it was the NSWRL or the ARL or the NRL it's all one competition that has had different names to represent what are the competition covers. I.e. NSWRL was was it covered NSW (although out of state teams competed it was based around NSW) it then changed into a National comp and then called the NRL. It is all the one competition that has progressed through time. Just look at the records books and seeming as thought the Newtown Jets were apart of the history of the NSWRL they are now apart of the NRL history.

Now have a cry about how i still think the competition is NSW or that i have a Sydney-centric view ... that is usually the standard response for that. But that fact is the old BRL clubs records and etc aren't counted in the record books but the Newtown Jets are.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
More importantly we are the Mighty Bluebags and I dont think we would care if a new team took the Jets name - most of us follow Newtown because its a great day out (3pm every other Saturday) for all - KBs on the hill and everybody welcome (even St George and Easts fans!).
If a new team even suggested that they might play a regular season game at Henson Park (the jewel in the crown of rugby league), I am pretty sure we would even sell their merch at ever game!!!

Thats the spirit. If the Ipswich Jets were smart, they would take advantage of the Newtown Jets supporter base and have a blue jersey and have an arrangement with Newtown. Play a trial game at Henson Park against Souths. Sell some merchandise and tickets at $15. Souths would do it.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Thats the spirit. If the Ipswich Jets were smart, they would take advantage of the Newtown Jets supporter base and have a blue jersey and have an arrangement with Newtown. Play a trial game at Henson Park against Souths. Sell some merchandise and tickets at $15. Souths would do it.
Brilliant idea. I've always thought that the key to the broncos success is that their support base isn't just confined to Brisbane. And the jets blue jersey is a classic.

BDGS

Bench

Great idea but it would have to be a NRL match and not a trial match to make it feel like a real connection and not just a thing for popularity or a charitable experience.

otori

Juniors
I still do not understand how a team with a generic name can sue another team trying to adopt that name in another competition. I don't think that Redcliffe "forced" the GC bid into anything but they'd have rather pick a name that was easy and wouldn't ruffle feathers than pick a name they'd have to fight over.

Jets is a bloody generic name with the brand represented in several sports across several countries. If a soccer franchise started calling themselves the Rabbitohs then Souths would have recourse but if they decided to be the Ispwich Rams I doubt Adelaide or the QLD baseball team or the St. Louis Rams would be able to sue them over it.

Latest posts