What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

Desert Qlder

First Grade
How would people feel about a second team being called Brisbane City Diehards or whatever...just to differentiate from Brisbane. For some reason 2 teams called Brisbane irks me :lol:

The emotion gets the better of me when I suggest Diehards. I used to hate Valleys, Brothers and especially Wests back in the day but I guess absence has made my heart grow very fond of these clubs. Actually, not Wests ;).

Naming the second side 'Diehards' is probably not a very good idea but I'm warming to your suggestion of 'City'.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeah but they aren't the Perth Dockers and Perth Eagles tho.

That;s my point. You've got one team with a broad name and one with a smaller suburban name. Hasn't hampered Fremantles ability to draw crowds of 30k and large corporate support despite, in name, only representing a smallish area of greater Perth.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
for a WESTERN australia team?
Western doesn't describe what part of the country the team is from, unless of course you are from WA! Fine when it was a one city suburban comp but as an evolving national comp Brisbane or Queensland has to be in title imo.

Using an AFL reference, do you have a problem with the Western Bulldogs being based in Melbourne?

Im not in favour of calling a second Brisbane team "Western", Id rather something with the name Brisbane in it. Something that references a location.

_Johnsy

Referee
Bretheren, come on Brothers. Would be quite easy to form very strong bonds playing for a team with the moniker brothers, we are all bretheren. etc

9240_1_S.jpg
brothers.gif
284066_1_S.jpg
24276_1_S.jpg

721236_1_S.jpg

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
The emotion gets the better of me when I suggest Diehards. I used to hate Valleys, Brothers and especially Wests back in the day but I guess absence has made my heart grow very fond of these clubs. Actually, not Wests ;).

Naming the second side 'Diehards' is probably not a very good idea but I'm warming to your suggestion of 'City'.

Well yeah the point of my post was the 'City' part, Diehards was a placeholder...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Using an AFL reference, do you have a problem with the Western Bulldogs being based in Melbourne?

Im not in favour of calling a second Brisbane team "Western", Id rather something with the name Brisbane in it. Something that references a location.

Yep for exactly same reason, in a National comp you should only use a compass point if you are actually at that point in the country or you have the city as well as the georgraphic area eg South Sydney

Excuse my ignorance but what has Brothers and leprechorns got to do with each other? Is Brothers some sort of irish link and if so why would it mean anything to someone in Sth-West Q'land?

_Johnsy

Referee
I think you'll find there is a brothers club in most RL towns. There has always been one in the town I live in. There would be close to hundreds of brothers clubs around Oz.

I know there is a Brothers FC & Brothers Junior club in Ipswich. There is a link with the Catholic Church, however not entirely sure of the Leprachaun.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
Yep for exactly same reason, in a National comp you should only use a compass point if you are actually at that point in the country or you have the city as well as the georgraphic area eg South Sydney

Excuse my ignorance but what has Brothers and leprechorns got to do with each other? Is Brothers some sort of irish link and if so why would it mean anything to someone in Sth-West Q'land?

I agree but disagree at the same time. I think in a national competition you should just throw away the compass altogether. Every name of every club should state exactly where they are from with few exceptions. I think mergers would be my only exception.

But it does cause some problems, West Coast Eagles (west coast of?) there are plenty of other examples. Btw does anybody else think the name "West Coast Eagles" sounds american?

RedVee

First Grade
That;s my point. You've got one team with a broad name and one with a smaller suburban name. Hasn't hampered Fremantles ability to draw crowds of 30k and large corporate support despite, in name, only representing a smallish area of greater Perth.

But does Fremantle have an attractive reputation?
as opposed to Ipswich...

Brothers has an Irish link, but more directly a link to schools that were run by Catholic religious orders, ie Brothers. Some of these orders have an Irish link, eg Christian Brothers &, at a guess, Patrician Brothers. Sometimes the Brothers clubs are known by similar names like 'Past Brothers', 'Brothers Old Boys' and similar clubs also exist called Collegians, eg in Wollongong and a unior club in Campbelltown, amongst other places. Brothers seems to be a particularly popular club name in Qld which has a confraternity of Brothers clubs that have a gala style comp amongst themselves (I think).

BTW I actually have an Ipswich Brothers cap upstairs. A very fine looking bit of kit it is too! (thanks Hugh!).

Perth Red

Post Whore
wouldn;t linking the club with a particular religious group be an issue? Not sure I'd weant anything to do with teh catholic church! I do like the leprechourn though!

What other names are out there not used in NRL
Jets obvious
Bombers link to jets if Newtown complain
Spartans great logo
Gladiators bit camp?
Pirates/Buccaneers too much like Raiders?
Grizzlies just to really annoy North Sydney ;)
Wombats now there's a marketing opportunity!

what else?

RedVee

First Grade
South brisbane Brothers

Dark bottle green (preferred over blue) & white.
mackay-brothers-elite-rugby-league-jersey-2010.jpg

I like! My first ever league team (my primary school) was a green n white butchers stripe design, though the colour was pretty close to the green you picked for the numbers. Build one like that and I'd consider buying it!