What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

_Johnsy

Referee
The journey of 15000 posts begins with a first post!

Pondering the future of Queensland rugby league is going to be fairly topical whether you like it or not!

Your comments don't quite mirror your comment above.

Bye bye Ipswitch!

The more interesting question is, what does the future hold for Broncos? With this kind of flooding becoming common place over the next 10 to 20 years thanks to global warming, how much longer can they remain viable in the NRL? Fancy building your club on a flood plain!

Well it is always under water for a start.

Who is joking. Brisbane is built on a flood plain. To what extent will it even be worth rebuilding much of the damaged areas when it is only going to happen again, sooner rather than later with the erratic weather that is going to accompany global warming.

Queensland is a state in decline, not one that needs more rugby league teams. There are too many teams in Queensland as it is.

Don't rebuild Brisbane only for it to be washed away again. I suppose these people could be our first climate refugees.

A 45 minute drive is a 24 hour swim! Any Ipswitch team is dead!

Either you are extremely thick, or just stiring the pot (albeit very poorly).

What about other NRL clubs, have you looked at the topography and surrounding catchment areas? probably not. If you have do you have any idea about hydrology? probably not.

Topical my ass, your just making moronic comments being an A-grade merkin.

2nd account possibbly (Gaba, Bunnies man.......................)

Last edited:

BearsForever

Juniors
It is quite consistent Johnsy. I stated the future of Queensland, and therefore Queensland rugby league is in doubt. I have taken the side of the argument that the future of Queensland is bleak, based on an appeal to authority RE climate science.

Brisbane and Ipswitch are built on a flood plain. Don't blame me, they pitched their tent
in a dry creek. These areas have been catastrophically flooded twice in 37 years, hopefully this time they learn their lesson (don't stick your tent there again).

None of the Sydney clubs are built on a flood plain :)

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I'd like to know who's alt account this is.

Surely the mods can check to see which user is posting from the same IP as this stirrer and then share it with us?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
There is of course more than one way to skin that cat. A short term plan would be just to throw another team at Suncorp to get a game there every week. A long term strategy would be to look at the ground as more a regional hub for blockbuster games like the MCG or SCG was in the old match of day era.

In the regional hub plan you work towards having complete regional coverage with teams ringing the SE Queensland region, north (Sunshine Coast), south (Gold Coast) and west (Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Toowoomba) in addition to a team at the centre (the Broncos). Each team has its own home ground and distinct area to support it while serving to leave no openings for rival codes to gain a foothold without having to take us on head-on from day one.

Each of the perimeter teams plays nine home games at their smaller local grounds and then takes their blockbuster derby games to the regional hub so that supporters from both local teams can get to the game. So when Gold Coast play Sunshine Coast twice each year, those games get played at Suncorp. Same when the Sunshine Coast play the Western team. If you throw in games against the Cowboys as the third derby match for each team then you don't end up having to hand the Broncos any extra home ground advantages.

By planning for the long term instead of just throwing another team at Suncorp, you provide local access to teams in each part of the entire region nine times each season and you ensure that the additional nine games at Suncorp are all high drawing local derbys. In fact you go from a situation where you have just the 12 Broncos home games with only two of those being Queensland derbys to having 18 games (a game at Suncorp three out of every four weeks) and potentially 13 of those being Queensland derbys.

The aim here isn't to just use to Suncorp every week for the sake of using it but rather to make use of it to the best advantage of Rugby League across the entire SE Queensland region. in my opinion that is best achieved by working towards ensuring we have distributed coverage of teams across the entire area and maximising the number of true blockbuster derby matches available to take to Suncorp.

Leigh

Quoting this just so it doesn't get over-looked in the sh*t-stirring.

mongoose

Coach
It is quite consistent Johnsy. I stated the future of Queensland, and therefore Queensland rugby league is in doubt. I have taken the side of the argument that the future of Queensland is bleak, based on an appeal to authority RE climate science.

Brisbane and Ipswitch are built on a flood plain. Don't blame me, they pitched their tent
in a dry creek. These areas have been catastrophically flooded twice in 37 years, hopefully this time they learn their lesson (don't stick your tent there again).

Twice in 37 years??? whoaa

I guess 37 years doesn't seem like a long time to a Bears fan since their last premiership was 90 odd years ago...

Why even bother bringing back this pathetic joke of a club just so they can have another 90 years of agony? surely their fans dont want this?

BearsForever

Juniors
Twice in 37 years??? whoaa

I guess 37 years doesn't seem like a long time to a Bears fan since their last premiership was 90 odd years ago...

Why even bother bringing back this pathetic joke of a club just so they can have another 90 years of agony? surely their fans dont want this?

Queenslanders will have to flee South, quite possibly becoming Bears' fans as they move to
higher ground. At least North Sydney oval has decent facilities. A football stadium should provide a football ground not a swimming pool. As I write this, Bear park is bathed in sunshine with a beautiful playing strip and a legendary oak tree.

BDGS

Bench
Queenslanders will have to flee South, quite possibly becoming Bears' fans as they move to
higher ground. At least North Sydney oval has decent facilities. A football stadium should provide a football ground not a swimming pool. As I write this, Bear park is bathed in sunshine with a beautiful playing strip and a legendary oak tree.

I am for the Central Coast Bears and they will get in but you're an idiot.

_Johnsy

Referee

Are you sure about that ?

There was flash flooding in South Sydney in June this year (areas also affected were the CBD and the eastern parts of the metropolitan area.
I take it you forgot about the Sydney floods in 1986 that killed 6 people.

You can have a bit of a search and I am sure you'll find that the Parramatta River Catchment is in fact considered a major flood risk.

http://www.uprct.nsw.gov.au/Maps%20&%20Overheads/whole%20catchment%20map.pdf

The Tank

Bench
BearsForever said:

Dude, just f**k off. You're not funny and your trolling efforts are in bad taste.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
There is of course more than one way to skin that cat. A short term plan would be just to throw another team at Suncorp to get a game there every week. A long term strategy would be to look at the ground as more a regional hub for blockbuster games like the MCG or SCG was in the old match of day era.

In the regional hub plan you work towards having complete regional coverage with teams ringing the SE Queensland region, north (Sunshine Coast), south (Gold Coast) and west (Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Toowoomba) in addition to a team at the centre (the Broncos). Each team has its own home ground and distinct area to support it while serving to leave no openings for rival codes to gain a foothold without having to take us on head-on from day one.

Each of the perimeter teams plays nine home games at their smaller local grounds and then takes their blockbuster derby games to the regional hub so that supporters from both local teams can get to the game. So when Gold Coast play Sunshine Coast twice each year, those games get played at Suncorp. Same when the Sunshine Coast play the Western team. If you throw in games against the Cowboys as the third derby match for each team then you don't end up having to hand the Broncos any extra home ground advantages.

By planning for the long term instead of just throwing another team at Suncorp, you provide local access to teams in each part of the entire region nine times each season and you ensure that the additional nine games at Suncorp are all high drawing local derbys. In fact you go from a situation where you have just the 12 Broncos home games with only two of those being Queensland derbys to having 18 games (a game at Suncorp three out of every four weeks) and potentially 13 of those being Queensland derbys.

The aim here isn't to just use to Suncorp every week for the sake of using it but rather to make use of it to the best advantage of Rugby League across the entire SE Queensland region. in my opinion that is best achieved by working towards ensuring we have distributed coverage of teams across the entire area and maximising the number of true blockbuster derby matches available to take to Suncorp.

Leigh

You are a thoughtful and interesting contributor, and probably far smarter than I, but I must take you up on this point.

I don't buy the regional hub plan as one sufficiently encapsulating football supporters in the South-east region. For a start, it assumes that support for the Broncos comes from the inner ring of suburbs. I don't have figures on this but I would say the majority of support and attendees at Broncos matches do not come from this area.

Gold Coast is a separate city, it has it's own identity and it is incidental that it is within 100km of Brisbane. This club would have been a success even if it was 1000km from the capital.

Limiting possible future teams to the areas you mentioned significantly weakens their future prospects for growth. A bid needs to tap into an area from Wide Bay to Toowoomba and down to Logan, just as the Broncos do reasonably successfully at present. It can base itself and have its training ground and clubhouse somewhere in the Springfield region or whatever, that's fine, but it needs to play every game at Suncorp Stadium. By doing this it puts itself at the heart of public transport networks and at the forefront of the regions consciousness.

You regional idea also assumes that SEQ and the NRL needs two new sides. I don't believe it does. One more side will create an unbelievably strong rivalry in the city and more than likely firm the support of the Broncos club. With this being the case, it could be a case of 'two's company, three's a crowd' if you were to dilute the market.

'Brisbane' can easily work as a name. There have been some poor examples used by some to claim otherwise. The Victory/Heart example is hardly worthy of discussion, because in Melbourne soccer is a second string sport in regards to the levels of support. I would prefer to use Manchester as a better example and one that Brisbane would be more synonymous with. That is, two different types of clubs representing the one city.

Brisbane Diehards all the way!

BEARSFOREVER, I see through your lies. You're either talons or one of the usual Bears haters on here trying to discredit our bid by having a second account and being an idiot fan.

Just quit it. Its pathetic and not welcomed.

BearsForever

Juniors
Johnsy

It is about infrastructure, not lives. The deaths of 12 people/ 6 people etc are trivial in the scheme of things (not for their families obviously but from national perspective).

Our rainfall patterns are nothing like what has caused the current flooding in Queensland, combine that with the way they have degraded the land and you have a completely different situation. You are clutching at straws.

BearsForever

Juniors
BEARSFOREVER, I see through your lies. You're either talons or one of the usual Bears haters on here trying to discredit our bid by having a second account and being an idiot fan.

Just quit it. Its pathetic and not welcomed.

I'm sorry pal, but I'm 5 mins from Bear park and 5 mins from North Sydney Leagues. The Bears will be back. You should be grateful that the Ipswitch bid is dead.

I was there back in the days of pigdog, the flo, Billy Moore, Gary Larrrrsssssoon.

_Johnsy

Referee
Johnsy

It is about infrastructure, not lives. The deaths of 12 people/ 6 people etc are trivial in the scheme of things (not for their families obviously but from national perspective).

Our rainfall patterns are nothing like what has caused the current flooding in Queensland, combine that with the way they have degraded the land and you have a completely different situation. You are clutching at straws.

It was originally about floodplains, now it's infrastructure. Can you keep the goalposts still.

The rainfall patterns that have occured up here can happen anywhere, the intensity of the rainfall & the topography of where it fell is the issue. Give up, your ridiculous claims re: topography, floodplains, rainfall and land management are making you look foolish.

Your comments are offensive in the extreme.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Either you are extremely thick, or just stiring the pot (albeit very poorly).

What about other NRL clubs, have you looked at the topography and surrounding catchment areas? probably not. If you have do you have any idea about hydrology? probably not.

Topical my ass, your just making moronic comments being an A-grade merkin.

2nd account possibbly (Gaba, Bunnies man.......................)
How about we don't insult me? The merkin is talking crap like Brisbane shouldn't be rebuilt and it should be moved somewhere...he's dumber than me even when I'm posting drunk. And it's only Wednesday, the possibility of drunk bunniesman posts doesnt come up until friday/saturday night. This merkin aint me.
I'd like to know who's alt account this is.

Surely the mods can check to see which user is posting from the same IP as this stirrer and then share it with us?
I'd really like this too. Smells like a double account, and some idiots have the nerve to accuse me too.
I am for the Central Coast Bears and they will get in but you're an idiot.
+10000000000000000. He's an embarassment to anyone supporting the Bears bid.

_Johnsy

Referee
I'm sorry pal, but I'm 5 mins from Bear park and 5 mins from North Sydney Leagues. The Bears will be back. You should be grateful that the Ipswitch bid is dead.

I was there back in the days of pigdog, the flo, Billy Moore, Gary Larrrrsssssoon.

Wow, in the grand scheme of things all of 10 minutes. Congrats old timer.

BearsForever

Juniors
It was originally about floodplains, now it's infrastructure. Can you keep the goalposts still.

The rainfall patterns that have occured up here can happen anywhere, the intensity of the rainfall & the topography of where it fell is the issue. Give up, I have certainly got you covered in this topic, this is obvious via your ridiculous claims re: topography, floodplains, rainfall and land management.

Your moronic comments are offensive in the extreme.

The goal posts washed away when they built the infrastructure on the flood plains!

So Brisbane is not on a floodplain (washed away twice in 37 years)?
The land has not been mismanaged? Try googing "topsoil in Queensland".
As for the Queensland and NSW having the same climate, you are deluded.

Latest posts