What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

beave

Coach
Perth and this one have to be the next 2 teams.

Like I said in another thread, I just moved to Springfield 3 weeks ago and this area would be prime for it.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Like I said in another thread, I just moved to Springfield 3 weeks ago and this area would be prime for it.

Agreed.

But if NZ can get a good bid up and running in Wellington, then they might be able to nudge their noses in front of a second Brisbane team (hopefully this one or the Brothers).

bobmar28

Bench

Ipswich Jets and West Coast Pirates need to be the next teams admitted.

Will you switch your allegiance to the Jets?

beave

Coach
Ipswich Jets and West Coast Pirates need to be the next teams admitted.

Will you switch your allegiance to the Jets?

No way mate. I haven been an NQ fan since the day Arko announced our inclusion into the comp in 1992-93. It's been a tough journey but I'm proud of where I was born and raised and although i have moved around a fair but, I consider that part of my world 'home' and the team that represents that area, as frustrating a bunch of assclowns they have been, they are my assclowns.

However, I would buy season tickets to this new team down here just to spite the broncos and their fans. i wouldn't buy any of their jerseys or merch but I would attend their games and support them financially somewhat. I guess the old saying 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' applies??

CQ Italia

Juniors
based on merits no QLD bid comes close to CQ (yes I'm bias but when another bid besides CQ can get as much if not more corporate dollars than the broncos or collingwood let us know)

And a bid that needs to try and poach another bids sponsor/s? ;-)
Springfield project is now gone, Logan is gone (Canberra development set up & now large Broncos academy), two major talking points of the WC bid.

I would like to see WA, CQ & Western Corridor enter the NRL, but too many Sydney teams and maybe selfishness will permit too much expansion.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
based on merits no QLD bid comes close to CQ (yes I'm bias but when another bid besides CQ can get as much if not more corporate dollars than the broncos or collingwood let us know)

And a bid that needs to try and poach another bids sponsor/s? ;-)
Springfield project is now gone, Logan is gone (Canberra development set up & now large Broncos academy), two major talking points of the WC bid.

I would like to see WA, CQ & Western Corridor enter the NRL, but too many Sydney teams and maybe selfishness will permit too much expansion.

I call absolute bullshit.

I assume the companies you imagine would sponsor the CQ bid are big mining groups. How much advertising do you imagine these miners require? And im not talking about PR advertising to make themselves look better, i mean advertising for you to buy their shit over their competitors. Almost none, because you dont buy coal, your electricity company does.

Now, how much of this fraction of an advertising budget is to be directed towards the people of CQ? How much of the coal dug out of CQ is sold back to CQ? Again Im going to guess almost none.

The reason there are so many teams in the capital cities is because people in cities are consumers. It doesn't matter where things are produced; sponsorship is directed to the consumer.

Considering this, i ask you to explain how a CQ team has a better chance of gaining one of these sponsorships you talk about.

Canard

Immortal
Further ,corporate sponsorship, whether pledged or not, could disappear overnight due to various factors.

Population to draw a supporter base, having existing infrastructure (like a stadium), TV revenue and memberships are something are a much more stable and more important to any professional sporting team.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The religious angle against the Brothers bid is pretty weak.

That element of their history hasn't played a role for many, many years.

They stand as a combined, widespread group of clubs with established communication lines and paths of development. Therein lies their strength, something which no other bid possesses even in a remote way.

Garbler

Juniors
I like the brothers bid most. Bombers least.

Bout sums it up.

Probably totally wrong, but I get the impression the Bombers won't accept defeat humbly either when the time comes... Might throw a press release out there about appealing decision, legal avenues etc...

Canard

Immortal
Souths originated by murdering rabbits. You are talking about things that had relevance in the 40s.

The religious angle against the Brothers bid is pretty weak.

That element of their history hasn't played a role for many, many years.

They stand as a combined, widespread group of clubs with established communication lines and paths of development. Therein lies their strength, something which no other bid possesses even in a remote way.

I agree that Religion has no relevance in 2014, but it will certainly be perceived to be.

What about the Port Adelaide factor, of alienating more than 75% of the supporter base straight away. In every major QLD town, people who don't support or play for Brothers despise them.

By the way I played for Cairns Brothers, so Im not anti-Fish like some are.

CQ Italia

Juniors
I call absolute bullshit.

I assume the companies you imagine would sponsor the CQ bid are big mining groups. How much advertising do you imagine these miners require? And im not talking about PR advertising to make themselves look better, i mean advertising for you to buy their shit over their competitors. Almost none, because you dont buy coal, your electricity company does.

Now, how much of this fraction of an advertising budget is to be directed towards the people of CQ? How much of the coal dug out of CQ is sold back to CQ? Again Im going to guess almost none.

The reason there are so many teams in the capital cities is because people in cities are consumers. It doesn't matter where things are produced; sponsorship is directed to the consumer.

Considering this, i ask you to explain how a CQ team has a better chance of gaining one of these sponsorships you talk about.

Not imagining anything, the deals are set in place and are long-term agreements (not guess work but straight from the bid). And the brand MAY end up relating to these backers and hence all of CQ.

CQ companies or companies with a large percentage of their operations in CQ sponsoring a club on the national stage. Other mines/resource based companies sponsoring clubs in sport, namely at least 2 in the Knights, Aurizon & Hunter group...

CQ Italia

Juniors
I agree that Religion has no relevance in 2014, but it will certainly be perceived to be.

What about the Port Adelaide factor, of alienating more than 75% of the supporter base straight away. In every major QLD town, people who don't support or play for Brothers despise them.

yep - fact. People might despise brothers even more than anything NSW related in many towns.

Also many of the Brothers clubs are supporting other bids, i.e. Ipswich Brothers with WC Bid, Rocky now the CQ Leagues Club, Townsville brothers leagues club is backing a Townsville QCup bid...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Its better to have a team that is device than a team thats totally benign. If its a choice between a team like the roosters or manly (if you dont love them then you love to watch them lose) or a team like GWS or the titans (everyones second favourite team but really theyre a few generations away from being important to anyone and honestly who gives a shit about them), the smart choice is the latter.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not imagining anything, the deals are set in place and are long-term agreements (not guess work but straight from the bid). And the brand MAY end up relating to these backers and hence all of CQ.

CQ companies or companies with a large percentage of their operations in CQ sponsoring a club on the national stage. Other mines/resource based companies sponsoring clubs in sport, namely at least 2 in the Knights, Aurizon & Hunter group...

Alright then show us the definitive proof of these deals, because all I have heard of these deals is the little mentions here and there in articles about the bid, and just like every other bid that's all that there is to show for these supposed millions of dollars.

I mean lets be realistic here, firstly what would all these mining companies get out of pouring millions of dollars into an NRL team? Because as far as I can tell there's very, very little that a mining company stands to gain from supporting an NRL club, unless (like Tinkler and the Knights) the owner/s of said mining companies has a personal interest in sponsoring an NRL team.
Secondly why do we assume that these mining companies will be able/willing to pour all this money into the club forever and what happens to the club after their money inevitability dries up? Because from what I have seen it is unlikely that the CQ bid would be able to support themselves without a large backer to hold them aloft.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Again, i have to call bullshit.

I have no doubt they have expressions of interest, but thats not binding and their would be nothing major promised.
Its not like the bid team will come out and say this though, they just pretend its a done deal.

spoonman

Juniors
Even though the two doctors (Hello and Brown) like to rubbish the bombers over the brother bid. The bombers bid is the best chance for my money. I cannot not see a traditional community based bid get over the commercial structure of a corporate based bid in this day an age. Even though armchair critics don't like the Bombers name or that is it too much like the Broncos style of business ain't going to make a lick of difference to the NRL or to the other 90% of the Brisbane public. The NRL will be focusing on "commercial viability long term" not "tradition" when they choose the next teams. Unfortunately this day an age these two values are less likely go hand in hand.
I predict the Bombers and Perth will be the next two teams in 2018. Sorry Ipswich

Latest posts