What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What book Have You Read Lately.

Red Bear

Referee
Recently finished the first casualty by Ben Elton. Just about finished Popcorn, also by Ben Elton

brook

First Grade
Halfway through Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Its pretty dark stuff but a very good read

warren

Juniors
just finished a child called it by dave pelzer - an extremely sad book. so ive opted for some light reading after it, so ive just started a girls night in part 4 - its good so far.

Rexxy

Coach
I tell a lie. For the last 3 years i have been reading, The Short Life and Fast Times of John Belushi . The writer copped a lot of flak when it came out, but I reckon it's pretty close to the real deal...

Eelementary

Post Whore
I've been re-reading a lot of my favourites recently:

Matthew Reilly's "Ice Station"

PJ O' Rourke's "Modern Manners"

Robert Harris' "Fatherland"

OVP

Coach
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.

f**king unreal. I adored the movie with Sean Connery but god damn the book is the only thing better.

Red Bear

Referee
Southernsaint said:
Sunrise With Seamonsters - Paul Theroux
Man, i read Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux, one of the most wanky n sh*tty books of the manyi have read. Can only hope the one you are reading is better

Misanthrope

Staff member
About a third of the way into Tad Williams' brilliant 'War of the Flowers'. Great world building and storytelling.

Southernsaint

Staff member
GoTheBears said:
Man, i read Mosquito Coast by Paul Theroux, one of the most wanky n sh*tty books of the manyi have read. Can only hope the one you are reading is better

His fiction is sh*te, IMO.

But I really enjoy his travel books even though he's a pretentious Seppo bastard!!

He once wrote that, when travelling, he knew he'd hit rock bottom when he found himself in the company of Australians. Surely he meant the Israelis?!?!

Dread

Juniors
I'm part of the way through a book called 'The Devils Picnic' by a fellow who's name escapes me. About some dude who travels the world, trying out the illegal foods and drinks of the places he goes to. Very interesting social commentary.

I'm also working my way through '1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die'. Fairly wanky but there's some top albums in there.

Also have a rediculous stack of Lonely Planet books cluttering up my space.

I just read The Long Walk by Richard Bachman that was a REALLY good book, scary but good, but not scary as in horror scary, more scary when you think what of what happens and how much of the violence in the book is in the world around us.

OVP

Coach
Squishy_Da_Byatch said:
I just read The Long Walk by Richard Bachman that was a REALLY good book, scary but good, but not scary as in horror scary, more scary when you think what of what happens and how much of the violence in the book is in the world around us.

Richard Bachman = Stephen King. Its part of the The Bachman Books along with The Running Man. The long walk was a great read.

carcharias

Immortal
I'm stuggling through "the third secret" it's not bad but I keep falling asleep while reading it.

millersnose

Post Whore
state of fear - michael crichton - good and bad (the plot sucks and some of the events are quite silly but the background data presentations into GW are a big eye opener)

inside out - nick mason - a funny read