What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What if Jarryd Hayne doesn't make the 49ers cut? Will he return to the NRL?

Card Shark

Immortal
If Ben Barba got hurt in the prelim final and was out of the GF and Cronulla had $10k left in the cap they could sign Hayne for one week and he could play.

Could happen, imagine the outrage if it did.

Surely in 109 years of rugby league there is a rule to outlaw this.

johnny plath

Juniors
the Broncos who will be 8th could draft Corey Norman so they have competent half.
Well no, Corey is a registered rugby league player... the point Greenburg made was that only a non rugby league player can be registered. Like someone said, apart from Jarrod Hayne, who is in transit, what other f**king player is going to waltz into a grand final team in the highest level rugby league comp in the universe,.fmd.... I can understand arguments about lower tier comps having a rule that prevents this, but its a non issue in NRL

Zigwaa

Bench
Well no, Corey is a registered rugby league player... the point Greenburg made was that only a non rugby league player can be registered. Like someone said, apart from Jarrod Hayne, who is in transit, what other f**king player is going to waltz into a grand final team in the highest level rugby league comp in the universe,.fmd.... I can understand arguments about lower tier comps having a rule that prevents this, but its a non issue in NRL

Rugby Union players. What's to stop NRL clubs signing a gun union player after 30 June if Hayne is allowed to sign-on?

AJB1102

First Grade
Rugby Union players. What's to stop NRL clubs signing a gun union player after 30 June if Hayne is allowed to sign-on?

Unless Izzy wants to jump ship I can't see too many RU players waltzing into a GF side. Even then, who'd have the available cap space in September?

NRL clubs don't sign RU players too often at any time of the season.

Zigwaa

Bench
Unless Izzy wants to jump ship I can't see too many RU players waltzing into a GF side. Even then, who'd have the available cap space in September?

I agree it's not very likely, but it will be/ is permitted.

I'm not just talking finals, anytime post June 30 it can be used to give a team an advantage.

AJB1102

First Grade
I agree it's not very likely, but it will be/ is permitted.

I'm not just talking finals, anytime post June 30 it can be used to give a team an advantage.

Is there some significance behind the June 30 cut off anyway?

Would it matter if clubs could sign players on August 6th provided they remain under the cap?

Could happen, imagine the outrage if it did.

Surely in 109 years of rugby league there is a rule to outlaw this.
That's the point. There was no rule in the old days and players did show up and play grand finals. Not necessarily in Sydney but in other comps around the country. Remember in semi-pro days there was little to no difference in match payments between Sydney and bush comps. That's why they brought the deadline in.

I know an old fella who played in the 1952 Wests side that won the NSWRL who then got on a train and went to Cairns and won the Cairns grand final. He's supposedly the only player to win comps in both states in the same year, which is pretty plausible considering how unlikely such a thing would be.

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench

Available cap space? What is being discussed could be as low as $10-30k.

As an example say a Jonothon Thurstan level player goes down injured in a prelim final. Whats to stop a team throwing $30000 at a recently retired or sacked union player? Especially if this player has a history in rugby league.

Special K

Coach
The idea of getting rid of Foran in 2016 to make room for Hayne is dumb given no team can take on Foran this season because the cut off is passed.

It is such a mess. Typical Parra.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The idea of getting rid of Foran in 2016 to make room for Hayne is dumb given no team can take on Foran this season because the cut off is passed.

It is such a mess. Typical Parra.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...an-waltz-back-in-to-game-20160715-gq6spv.html

Foran last Friday officially requested a release just nine months into his $4.8 million, four-year Eels contract to deal with personal problems that earlier this season culminated in him standing down from playing to seek treatment after being rushed to hospital following a prescription drugs overdose.

Jarryd Hayne has messed up his career big time. He left the NFL because he could not learn the new playbook of the San Francisco 49ers, and took a punt on making the Fiji national 7s team for the Olympics, which he failed to do. He should have stayed with the 49ers. He could have hired a teacher to learn the playbook but he was too stupid to even think of that. He has lost over a million dollars because of stupid decisions. He cannot play rugby union for Australia because he played for Fiji. He talks of playing rugby union in France or Japan. His ultimate humiliation will be to re-sign with the Parramatta Eels for 2017 and not make the playoffs.

BadSport

Juniors
Well its easy to judge after the risk has already been taken, but that Fiji thing certainly wasn't the smartest way to build up a bidding war.

I think people would have had more respect if he just said I've been given the tap on the shoulder and I'm no chance.

But if it really was his dream he'd have had another crack it. You never know what might happen with injury and form.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Hayne seems reluctant to come back to RL. Can tell by his tweets that he has no time for the Sydney RL media, always taking shots at them. Actually saw him interviewed for an hour on a NZ rugby show a couple of weeks ago before he got cut by the Fiji 7's team. Aussie super rugby teams don't want him because he can't play for the Wallabies so it seems his only option is Japan/France RU or to return to Parra?

Perth Red

Post Whore
His super 15 "dream" is over before it started. Good job NRL will fall over themselves to welcome him back lol. Awaits the "I have a dream to help the eels win a premiership" quote just before his announcement for 2017 season.