What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is more important? World Club Challenge or Charity Shield?

Minotaur

Juniors
What a pointless thread - it's like asking people would they rather eat chocolate or their own turd.

One game is the best aussie team versus the best pommie team - the other is a trial match that only dragons and souths supporters care about.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
If the Dragons go over there and lose and then make excuses they should be kicked out of the NRL,i hate losers who make excuses when we lose that WCC.

Wah wah wah we should play it in Australia,wah wah you guys are already playing your season,wah wah wah wah wah excuses excuses wah wah wah

meltiger

First Grade
Nobody is doing that though mate?

Im saying its just excuses from the Australian teams fans about "out of season etc".

To many NRL teams just treat the trip to UK as an excuse to do a Andrew Johns at the Church and pill up rather than knuckle down and play.

Thats not the bathless pommies fault.

Yeah fair enough. On re-read, your post said no such thing lol

Have been having an argument elsewhere with someone who has been using 94 as a guide, and completely misread what you wrote having that argument in the back of my mind.

Sorry :)

Canard

Immortal
Yeah fair enough. On re-read, your post said no such thing lol

Have been having an argument elsewhere with someone who has been using 94 as a guide, and completely misread what you wrote having that argument in the back of my mind.

Sorry :)

No problemo.

Starting to get a bit quite round these boards!

I was looking forward to my fix of League this weekend by going to watch England v Australia, but cause its a long weekend here (Melbourne) my missus has booked us in for a week away!

David G

Juniors
Due to the signing of Greg Inglis to Souths, we are looking at the option for Souths to play the WCC against Wigan.

It's a farce that the team playing in it was last years winner, so we are looking to make it so it will be this years winner. With the signing of GI, there is no doubt in any ones mind that South Sydney will be this years NRL champions, with the worlds best player (GI) to get the CC medal.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Due to the signing of Greg Inglis to Souths, we are looking at the option for Souths to play the WCC against Wigan.

It's a farce that the team playing in it was last years winner, so we are looking to make it so it will be this years winner. With the signing of GI, there is no doubt in any ones mind that South Sydney will be this years NRL champions, with the worlds best player (GI) to get the CC medal.
Oh Mr Gallop, keep going and I might just be your fan. That's the first sensible thing you've said in years.

What a pointless thread - it's like asking people would they rather eat chocolate or their own turd.

One game is the best aussie team versus the best pommie team - the other is a trial match that only dragons and souths supporters care about.

You could probably go a bit further on that.

It is Souths Sydney's Grand Final!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
RFL confirmed today the match will be played Sunday 27 February 2011 at DW Stadium, Wigan, 7:15pm local time kickoff.

For those not making the trek (that would be most), this means a Monday 28 February, 6:15am kickoff in Sydney/Melbourne/Hobart - 5:15am in Brisbane.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
They've only just announced it ffs, keep your pants on.

I dare say we'll find out more about television rights at the beginning of next year. Although I do believe Nine has taken it live the last few years using Sky Sports' commentary.

adamkungl

Immortal
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...harity-shield-under-cloud-20101115-17ueh.html

STAR Rabbitohs recruit Greg Inglis has been ruled out of the Indigenous All Stars team and is set to miss Souths' annual Charity Shield clash with St George Illawarra - unless the Dragons withdraw from the World Club Challenge in England.

With the WCC against Super League champions Wigan set down for February 27 and the Charity Shield scheduled for February 26 at ANZ Stadium, the NRL premiers have been trying to find an alternative date or venue for one of the fixtures.

It is understood Souths and the Dragons have agreed to shift the Charity Shield to February 13, the day after the All Stars match at Gold Coast's Skilled Stadium, but St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust last night told the Herald the club had not yet agreed to play in the WCC.

Advertisement: Story continues below
''We would obviously like to be involved in what is a highly regarded event but there is no obligation on us to play,'' Doust said. ''At this stage, we are still trying to work around what is a highly complex set of circumstances but we are certainly not interested in going if we can't meet the special needs of our club.''

Doust said there were financial issues involved after the Dragons' proposal to stage the WCC in Australia for the first time since 1994 was rejected as Super League starts on February 12, and Wigan did not want to travel in between matches.

A shoulder injury has ruled Inglis out of the Indigenous All Stars team to be announced today, along with Brisbane centre Justin Hodges (Achilles), but Souths officials hope he will be able to make his first appearance in a Rabbitohs jumper on February 19 against the Titans at Coffs Harbour International Stadium.

The Rabbitohs and Dragons both have pre-season games scheduled on February 5, with Souths hosting Newtown in their annual members-only match at Redfern Oval and St George Illawarra meeting Melbourne in Perth.

As a result, the Charity Shield can only be played on February 13 or February 26, and Doust said there was no way the Dragons would abandon a 28-year tradition to play in the WCC.

:lol: What a f**king idiot.

Deacon

First Grade
Souths are turning out to be that friend/relative that you know you dont want to go visit, but if you dont go to see them they'll have the sh*ts and whinge consistently for months on end

Gippsy

Bench
Tough question. A game between the 2 premiers of the 2 strongest RL competitions in the world to determine the best club team in the world, or, a trial game?

adamkungl

Immortal
Tough question. A game between the 2 premiers of the 2 strongest RL competitions in the world to determine the best club team in the world, or, a trial game?

but but the trial game is a 28 year tradition :roll:

This whole situation is a joke. It's not the Dragons fault - well not entirely, Doust is a f**king moron for even considering that the trial match is more important. The WCC needs to be moved to Oct and given the relevance it deserves,

BunniesMan

Immortal

Well it seems like even the Dragons CEO has answered the question that started this thread. And he'd rather play Souths. I'm shocked that the Dragons have got such a smart and intelligent CEO. This Doust, he's a good bloke. Looks like he's trying to do both, but if he can't Charity shield wins. As it should.

Ulysseus

Bench
IS this sh*t still going on?
Why the f**k don't Wigan want to come over here?
Every f**king year an Australian team has to go over there, for f**ks sake be a bit fair and start doing it year in year out as far as location goes.

I still maintain my earlier opinion though and hope that Saints send a f**king 3rd grade team out to play as it is f**king pointless.
Both sides wont have teams resembling their GF teams, for Saints Saffy, Costigan and Smith will be gone, Weyman probably wont play and that's a kind estimate.
For Wigan, Riddell will be gone and Richards injured himself in the GF didn't he?

The Poms win it most of the time anyway, for a variety of reasons
1) It is usually the australian team that has to go over there
2) Look at Newcastle's 2001 premiership team, the one that went over to play in the WCC didn't look a f**king thing like it
3) Ditto Penrith, 2003
4) Ditto, most other teams that have trudged over for it

Well it seems like even the Dragons CEO has answered the question that started this thread. And he'd rather play Souths. I'm shocked that the Dragons have got such a smart and intelligent CEO. This Doust, he's a good bloke. Looks like he's trying to do both, but if he can't Charity shield wins. As it should.

Do you actually believe your own tripe?