What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your most unpopular opinion about the NRL?

Reflector

Juniors
Craig Bellamy isn't as good a coach as he's made out to be. His legacy at the Storm was built off the back of having an awesome spine, and much of that can be attributed to the fact they were kept together illegally.

For 3 years he was in charge of the NSW Origin team and it coincided with the Blues playing the most uninspiring, grubby football I can recall from NSW. The only difference between those Bellamy NSW teams and Bellamy's Storm teams is he didn't have Smith, Slater, Cronk, Inglis etc to put the polish on all the ugliness.

He is the Tim Sheens of our times.

axl rose

Bench
Craig Bellamy isn't as good a coach as he's made out to be. His legacy at the Storm was built off the back of having an awesome spine, and much of that can be attributed to the fact they were kept together illegally.
Can't stand him and his tactics have ruined NRL as a spectacle but they said he wouldn't have any success after Inglis left, then after Cronk left, then Slater. See what happens when Smith retires in 2025 I guess.

Tiger5150

Bench
The NRL/Referees actively push certain teams to win
66216692_2522426004476750_1919393538525626368_n.jpg

Reflector

Juniors
The Broncos and News ltd have held back Rugby League in QLD

State of Origin has held back Rugby League in Australia

If the Reds, Rams and Crushers were all kept after SL they would all be big profitable clubs.

1. Agree. If commonsense had prevailed, the Crushers would only have died through their own mismanagement, ditto the Chargers and nearly 25 years later we may already have QRL teams like Redcliffe in the NRL.

2. Agree to an extent. Origin is a great spectacle no matter where it's played, but players outside NSW or Qld should never feel like they have to find a way to be eligible for Origin in order to have a hope at playing for the Kangaroos.

3. Agree with the Reds and the Crushers, not so sure about the Rams. They're an AFL town with a smaller population than Melbourne and a smaller RL presence than Perth, with limited growth.

I've got plenty...

1 - Players who 's qualification criteria for SOO default to the ACT should not qualify to play for NSW,

2 - The interchange should remain at 8 per game, but have more than 4 players available on the reserves bench (say 5 or 6) - mainly to account for injury/concussion needs that may arise.

3 - 2019 is the worst season in terms of the quality of teams as a whole in the NRL era.

4 - I'm a fan of Gus Gould. He's brilliant even if I disagree which what he's saying

5 - True representative football is dead.

6 - 2 referees are better than 1.

7 - Extra time after after a draw shouldn't be golden point. Continue 5 mins each way, highest score wins but a try wins and ends the game (ie - penalty goals & field goals still count, but the try trumps all).

8 - Kalyn Ponga is an extremely talented player but he's getting his tyres pumped up far too much by many in the media. Not "over-rated" but in my opinion there's a gulf between what he's being made out to be by many out there versus what he is right now (an extremely talented player in the early years of his career only). Let's see how he develops in future seasons.. yeah I'd have him at the dragons in the blink of an eye but all the hype bores me to tears.

9 - Referees should referee to the true rules of the game - not to "let the game flow". They did at the start of last season and I was all for it. Then the "outrage-campaign" from many started and things changed "to create a spectacle". Yeah it wasn't pretty to watch at first but they it was refereed to the rules.

Change the rules if needed (especially to make things simpler) but let the referees work to the rules. It's currently farcical.

10 - I like the alternative NSW playing strip used in Perth for SOO II.

AJB1102

First Grade
When he's not playing the jester, i feel Brett Finch is actually a smart guy.

Agree. Actually since he had his kid a month or so back he's dropped the self-loathing 'jokes' and started offering some insight and opinion. Usually when asked what he thinks the halfback should be doing he'd be like "dont ask me I was shit and drank a lot" but last weekend he was confident and broke down what he thought was going good or bad and where to improve etc.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Too many Sydney clubs

State of Origin should be a stand-alone three-week rep window which would allow for international tournaments and series' to be played mid-season.

Travitoh

First Grade
Too many Sydney clubs

State of Origin should be a stand-alone three-week rep window which would allow for international tournaments and series' to be played mid-season.

I agree there should be stand alone rep windows but would spread them out to once a month. Feb - April is the opening of the season. May, June and July all have a rep round first weekend. Then the run home to finals in September.

Someguy

First Grade
The new one on one strip rules are bad for the game! Storm roosters game best example slowest ugliests set of 6 this year.

Saying that my team has benefited most from the change

Latest posts