What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What movie have you seen #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcharias

Immortal
Diary of a wimpy kid.
actually quite funny in parts.

social network....yep.......I was no chance at inventing facebook it turns out.
great pic.

Hot tub time machine - Pretty decent actually definately worth a watch if you have foxtel.
I love you man - Very average but a decent a flick worth a rainy sunday arvo.

legend

Coach
Bridesmaids. Utter shyte! A try hard female version of the Hangover but it was an epic fail IMO.

Generalzod

Immortal
Company men a fantastic movie which I can relate to, after working 23 yrs in a well established Australian company we were told the Indians can do it better.

andrew057

First Grade
That is my point, Bale hasn't been 'outshone' in a negative way, he is performing his role in the film. It's only the average movie-goer who brings up the 'outshone' and 'overshadowed' arguments in films to bring down an actor, when usually the reason for it is obvious and it isn't a negative thing, if you understand anything about the fundamentals of writing characters to fit into a story.

Just like Ledger was performing his role in The Dark Knight and the other actors were the counterpoint, it isn't a competition to see who can be the most entertaining on the screen, a cast of characters requires balance (I know you know this, I'm just thinking out loud). In The Fighter, Wahlberg is getting some hate because the other characters are over the top and he is very dull and normal, but without his character the film wouldn't work.

I think Bale gets some unwarranted heat from general movie-goers because he is one of the few method actors who has made it as an A-Lister. He isn't a movie star, you don't go to a movie to see him be his charming self, like George Clooney or Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt (Pitt at least tries to mix it up a bit). He is an actor, not an entertainer, his primary goal is to service the film, not entertain the audience and people are confused when a big star does that.

The over-the-top portrayal of Batman as a beast, with the growling voice was Nolan's decision. It's right there in the screenplay. I'm pretty sure they even edited Bale's voice in The Dark Knight in post production to make it more over the top (I have no evidence, but I remember reading it in an interview with Nolan, and fans always bring it up). As a reader of the comics, I think it's the most accurate portrayal of Batman by far (Nolan nailed the essence of the Joker too).

p.s. My 'finally' comment in the first post was a little bit of a bait, I can argue about topics like this for hours. While I believe Bale has had several performances worthy of award recognition, The Fighter is the first time he has actually been in contention, because all of the others either weren't released in the awards season (which is crucial, it's all about buzz) or the subject matter was too out there (American Psycho).

Fantastic post.

carcharias

Immortal
Cars 2.

very busy....great action scenes etc ...but all over the shop...little kids will have no idea what is going on.

legend

Coach
Cars 2.

very busy....great action scenes etc ...but all over the shop...little kids will have no idea what is going on.

I'd put little kids well in front of you when it comes to intellectual capacity. They'll have no trouble understanding it.

Dragon

Coach
Transformers 3

Dragged on and on, needed less USA propaganda bullshyte and more robots fighting. Optimus steals the show but couldn't save it from being bollocks

4/10

abpanther

Staff member
Transformers 3 was terrible, special effects and action scenes way over the top, can't even tell WTF is going on, storyline was all over the place, they really need to stop now

Somebody kill Michael Bay please, wow, the way he has killed my childhood by raping Transformers is unforgivable.

Ahhh Reservior Dogs was awesome I have not seen Kill Bill yet but I fully intend to at some point.

Actually I could be wrong but I though Inglorious Basterds was a remake as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inglorious_Bastards

I read somewhere that Q just took the name because he liked it but I'm not sure because I've never seen the original. I just can't respect somebody who openly admits they steal from others and then dresses it up by saying "oh but that's what artists do" but that's a rant for another day.

Coaster

Bench
Demolition man was on the other night, haha

It is set in the future, way in the future 2015 apparently the last know murder was in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts