What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What movie have you seen #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Bear

Referee
Watching The Trip, following Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon as fictionalised versions of themselves around the north of England, quite good thus far​

Eelementary

Post Whore
"Crazy, Stupid, Love", though a romantic comedy, is highly recommended by me. A clever and more adult take on romantic comedies. An under-rated film - funny, but also very touching and clever.

Springs

First Grade
The Tree of Life - 8/10

I liked this movie a lot, but it was still a bit disappointing. It's a lot like The Thin Red Line with the kind of questions asked, and it has a great script and concept but the execution was off. The editing didn't seem right, the transitions between the normal narrative and the creation scenes don't get the message through. The meaning of the universe scenes and the connection between them and the family scenes weren't clear enough for the average viewer.

It is a very deep, meaningful movie, a bit like 2001. It's still quite good but I thought it had the potential to be one of the greatest films, all the things were in place for a very powerful film about love, meaning and existence. But a lot of it was lost because the execution wasn't quite right. Still probably one of my favourites for the year though, at least until The Muppets come out.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Watched the Inbetweeners and We Need to Talk About Kevin.

There's nothing I can say about the Inbetweeners that hasn't been said. Top film, 7.5 out 10.

As for We Need To Talk About Kevin, I'm a little disappointed. Just like the book the film started off really boring and difficult to understand, however in the book this was about 60 pages, which is less than a fifth of the book, in the film this was 60 minutes, which was more than half of it.

If you haven't read the book the film will just be a weird and disturbing experience, if you have read the book you will feel that the director failed to include some key moments in the hope of making the film more of that artistic type of weird.

I absolutely adored the book, it gave me chills and these chills lasted a couple of weeks after reading it. The suspense was built more effectively and it was just generally more thought provoking.

50/50 - wow I really likes this movie
It was depressing but had its good humor to it too.
Joseph gorden levit would have to b one of my favourite actors
He's always great in indie/low budget type flicks

Brick is great (also with jgl)

My favorite jgl movie is Mysterious Skin. Pretty powerful movie. Check it out if you haven't already.

Him and Ryan Gosling are the future.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Watched the Inbetweeners and We Need to Talk About Kevin.

There's nothing I can say about the Inbetweeners that hasn't been said. Top film, 7.5 out 10.

As for We Need To Talk About Kevin, I'm a little disappointed. Just like the book the film started off really boring and difficult to understand, however in the book this was about 60 pages, which is less than a fifth of the book, in the film this was 60 minutes, which was more than half of it.

If you haven't read the book the film will just be a weird and disturbing experience, if you have read the book you will feel that the director failed to include some key moments in the hope of making the film more of that artistic type of weird.

I absolutely adored the book, it gave me chills and these chills lasted a couple of weeks after reading it. The suspense was built more effectively and it was just generally more thought provoking.

I haven't read the book, but thought the movie was great. Had a few strange choices in terms of story telling (ie never explaining the daughters eye, although the assumption is there). It's a truly chilling movie and you're not quite sure what to make of it by the end of it. It did have some pretty significant shortcomings, but it isn't really an easy subject matter or context to convey to the viewer, which I thought it did very effectively.

Cliffhanger

Coach
The book is one long letter from Eva to Franklin. As it's all from Eva's perspective they can't really tell you what happened to Celie's eye as even she doesn't know for sure that it wasn't her fault. In the book Celie starts using a glass eye and Kevin takes it out after he kills her and he gives it to Eva in their final meeting.

Another thing which was important I felt was the fact Eva constantly brought up the other school shootings to Kevin and tried to provoke a reaction out of him and even though you still get the idea she is partly at fault for his actions it's not to the same degree.

In the book she also asks him why he didn't kill her and he told her something about her being the audience and that's important in trying to figure out why he did it.

Ramsay did a good job making you question Eva and her attitude towards Kevin, she also did well in not making you totally resent Kevin.

Cupid Stunt

The Inbetweeners - Am I the only one here that didn't like it? It went nowhere, did nothing. There was short shots of what makes the series funny but they were much to few & far between.

Warrior - Was ready for it to be a poor mans Rocky simply because of the subject. But i have to admit it was 1000x better than I thought it would be. It almost dipped it's toe into the pool of moral endings but thankfully didn't.

Red Dog - This is an awesome movie. Didn't know the story prior, but what a brillantly acted & shot film. Aussie without being yobbo.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
The Inbetweeners - Am I the only one here that didn't like it? It went nowhere, did nothing. There was short shots of what makes the series funny but they were much to few & far between.

I must admit I didn't really find it funny. The dance scenes were pretty much the only real times I laughed in it, but nothing you haven't seen in the series anyway. It was a slightly entertaining flick, but certainly not worth any of the rave it's getting.

skeepe

Immortal
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel - watched it knowing nothing other than Chris O'Dowd was in it and it was low budget. Brilliant movie. Very well written, occasionally over-acted but very good overall.

natheel

Coach
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel - watched it knowing nothing other than Chris O'Dowd was in it and it was low budget. Brilliant movie. Very well written, occasionally over-acted but very good overall.

just watched the trailer

going to watch it after chrissy, looks quite good

crawfs

Juniors

Yep, kinda makes you glad they didn't make a fourth season.

I don't think structure of the show really lent itself to film - the tv series moved at a much faster pace and were able to reset at the conclusion of each show. The movie had the same amount of material as one episode but dragged out over 90+ minutes. The crudeness became a little tiresome.

Inbetweeners - big episode of the show really...some parts were good. my group of mates has taken to the "he shoots he scores, right up the vag" catchphrase...
juvenile. yes. hilarious...probably.

Piranha - So it starts with Richard Dreyfuss (last seen on the orca) being attacked by more fish..
Then theres spring break at the lake...standard gore, tits and dumb acting.
the underwater nude scene would have been boss in 3d.
juvenile...yes.

Hot tub time machine -
enjoyable. juvenile......
had some funny parts.

yeah i see quality films.

MI4 - Good for entertainment value, not much substance to it though

Trespass - Enjoyed it for a movie that has 2 actors I dont really like, Nick Cage and Nichole Kidman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts