What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What movie have you seen #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Pete

Referee
I thought it was a pretty solid movie, nothing outstanding but at least a 6.5. Gordon-Levitt fleshed out his role pretty well, the romance was pretty token and not very well though out though. It's certainly worth watching, but probably not at the cinema.

Yeah, I'm pretty stingy with my ratings. A 5 in my book is generally a 7 in most others.

I agree with your thoughts.

azzah72

Bench
I'm surprised you guys only thought 50/50 was middle road, I thought it was a refreshing dramedy that was just great to watch.

It is seriously one of my fav movies now. JGL was exceptional in his drama and comedy timing, rogen was a great foil for him, the support cast was great.

The scene with his mother nearly broke me without him having to say a word, and his absolute rage and helplessness in the car.

Loved it.

It was hardly a "unique" concept, the director already made a similar but much better executed movie in Gattaca. Replace time with DNA and you virtually have the same movie, but with far less cheese. As said earlier, it also has some pretty big similarities with logan's run which the island clearly got it's idea from as well.

It started out pretty decent, but some of the gaff's in it were just bizarre... ie having 2 hours to live when attending a night party, then being in broad daylight with no time added and 30 minutes on the clock? My favourite was when the military was shooting at the front of a car and they showed bullet sparks on the boot of the car.

It was enjoyable at times, but by the end you feel pretty cheated, the plot was paper thin cookie cutter stuff and there were plot holes everywhere. Plus olivia wilde got nowhere near enough screen time.

6/10

Should have made it clear, the movie was "unique" to me because I have not watched any movies with a similar plot to this.

I checked out the trailer for "Gattaca" and it seems to old for my liking, will probably watch it though to see what all the fuss is about. :)

.............................................................................................................................

Was recently coerced into watching Tron(thought it wouldn't be my thing), I was actually surprised because its an awesome movie. Olivia Wilde :).

8.5/10 for Tron.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Should have made it clear, the movie was "unique" to me because I have not watched any movies with a similar plot to this.

I checked out the trailer for "Gattaca" and it seems to old for my liking, will probably watch it though to see what all the fuss is about. :)

.............................................................................................................................

Was recently coerced into watching Tron(thought it wouldn't be my thing), I was actually surprised because its an awesome movie. Olivia Wilde :).

8.5/10 for Tron

Funnily enough I saw Tron at the cinema and absolutely hated it. Then ended up getting given a copy of the 3d blu ray from my birthday and enjoyed it on 2nd viewing... I really didn't like how it looked in the cinema ( and lets face it there isn't much else to it ), but it looks a bucketload better on a 60in 3D TV. A good movie to watch in a pitch black living room with the stereo cranked

Tommax25

Bench
The Inbetweeners Movie. Very funny, stays true to the series. A little corny at the end, but still great.

Funnily enough I saw Tron at the cinema and absolutely hated it. Then ended up getting given a copy of the 3d blu ray from my birthday and enjoyed it on 2nd viewing... I really didn't like how it looked in the cinema ( and lets face it there isn't much else to it ), but it looks a bucketload better on a 60in 3D TV. A good movie to watch in a pitch black living room with the stereo cranked

I watched this at a friends house in HD, I usually don't like movies like this but it just seemed so in your face(the viewing experience that is) and the idea behind the movie was kinda cool. Olivia Wilde also adds extra rating to the movie. :) Although I have to add, I didn't like the ending(won't describe it just incase people have not seen it).

azzah72

Bench
Avatar was simply Pocahontas with aliens but that is I tried and true story, so I thought it made a great movie.

Granted I knew what was going to happen but it didn't make it any less enjoyable for me.

Saw a screening of a few best men today. Great fun, if you liked death at a funeral or hangover, this is like a cocktail of that, funny stuff.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Moneyball - First good film of the year. Not Oscar status like some are saying but an enjoyable underdog story tied together nicely by Sorkin's style of writing.

50/50 - A decent enough story but terribly predictable and nothing about it really stands out. The only aspect of it I liked was the casting. Normally I can't stand Rogen, but as a side character he works well. I've been a fan of JGL since (500) Days of Summer and he puts together a tidy performance here.

Watching through The Beaver at the moment, will be my 3rd attempt but I don't think I can take the concept seriously.

Haven't seen "Warrior"? Brilliant flick. Our generation's "Rocky", IMO.

Big Pete

Referee
I haven't seen a bunch of films.

Drive, Beginners, Rango, Melancholia among others are all on the list.

azzah72

Bench
you have or you haven't seen drive?

I liked it but it was sssooooo artsy that it frustrated me a little, I got it but i dunno something about it bugged me.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I haven't seen a bunch of films.

Drive, Beginners, Rango, Melancholia among others are all on the list.

Drive was awesome.
TT3D although it's a documentary
127 Hours
The Ides of March is pretty solid
Rise of the planet of the apes
X-Men First Class...

But it's pretty slim pickings this year unfortunately.

Big Pete

Referee
you have or you haven't seen drive?

I liked it but it was sssooooo artsy that it frustrated me a little, I got it but i dunno something about it bugged me.

I forgot to finish my thought - on my list to watch.

Firey - I consider 127 Hours a 2010 film since it was released in November in the US.

On the other hand, films like Super & Submarine I'd classify as 2011 releases as that's when they received a wider release outside of film festivals.

Both were decent flicks too, I particularly enjoyed Submarine - very Wes Anderson.

Chook Norris

First Grade
just watched 50/50 - i loved this movie tbh. All the actors were great. Joseph Gordon Levitt outstanding. Pretty good com/rom. I guess what big pete said was right about the plot being predictable, but to me it didnt really need to be unpredictable

natheel

Coach
50/50 - wow I really likes this movie
It was depressing but had its good humor to it too.
Joseph gorden levit would have to b one of my favourite actors
He's always great in indie/low budget type flicks

Brick is great (also with jgl)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts