What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Generalzod

Immortal
I'm up the coast at Grassy Head and tv wise where I'm staying is a black spot and have to rely on satellite to watch anything, Twister was on and thought I would watch it because I haven't seen it in a long while, started watching it and a huge electrical storm came through which disenabled the satellite signal so couldn't watch anything, it is back now but missed half the movie.

Twister is one of those first movies I bought when set up my home theatre set up back in 1998.. Great movie show case the home theatre set up

Generalzod

Immortal
Twister & Independence Day out in the same year. Spolit for choice :smile:

DisloyalMiniatureBrownbutterfly-size_restricted.gif
I saw Independence Day twice when it was release in cinema I’ve pulled out my DVD copy out the other day and watched it the god it has aged horribly

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Twister is one of those first movies I bought when set up my home theatre set up back in 1998.. Great movie show case the home theatre set up

My first home theatre set up was around 1997-98 and I used to love show casing Jumanji on it. My current set up is about 5 years old now and a few months ago my better half while dusting knocked some of the cables out of the sound bar, I put them back where I thought they should go but some how the sound just seems a bit out of whack compared to what it used to, still sounds ok but there just a difference I notice sometimes, the set up looks right to me but originally I had some IT guy set the whole thing up, just thinking I might call him to have a look at it or maybe it’s a case of after 5 years the sound bar is just showing signs of age and wear and tear.

Anyway I have bought Earthquake on blu Ray, I know it is a sh*t movie and hasn’t aged well but I want to give the Earthquake sequence a huge rip through the sound bar to see whether it will crack my ceiling like the sensurround did to the theatre ceilings when the movie first screened back in 1974/75.

Generalzod

Immortal
My first home theatre set up was around 1997-98 and I used to love show casing Jumanji on it. My current set up is about 5 years old now and a few months ago my better half while dusting knocked some of the cables out of the sound bar, I put them back where I thought they should go but some how the sound just seems a bit out of whack compared to what it used to, still sounds ok but there just a difference I notice sometimes, the set up looks right to me but originally I had some IT guy set the whole thing up, just thinking I might call him to have a look at it or maybe it’s a case of after 5 years the sound bar is just showing signs of age and wear and tear.

Anyway I have bought Earthquake on blu Ray, I know it is a sh*t movie and hasn’t aged well but I want to give the Earthquake sequence a huge rip through the sound bar to see whether it will crack my ceiling like the sensurround did to the theatre ceilings when the movie first screened back in 1974/75.
Like wise my wife had enough with speaker wure she moved the couch to do a bit of dusting the speakers fell she went of her rocker god damn wires so i bought a soundbar Bose it was like I was literally having speakers all around you...

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Like wise my wife had enough with she moved the couch to do a bit of dusting the speakers fell she went of her rocker god damn wires so i bought a soundbar Bose it was like I was literally having speakers all around you...

Yeah with my latest set up it was great to get rid of the speakers and cable that went with it, the sound bar which is a Harman Karden was perfect for my small unit and the sound enveloped the whole room, now though sometimes the tv sounds a bit more trebly through it and I have some drop outs when I play my iPod through it( iPod is so old it hasn’t got Bluetooth lol), will play with again sometime before I either call my IT guy to see if I have reset it wrong or whether it is getting close to getting a new one.

shiznit

Coach
Captain Marvel - pretty good.

Cool setting in the 90’s... the story was really cosmic but felt a little different to the other cosmic Marvel films like Guardians, Ragnarok & Dr Strange.

I liked a lot of aspects to it but it also felt kinda dated... not because of the period it was in... but it kinda felt like a phase 1 film...

The story felt like an origin story similar to the original films... and not like some of the later origin stories like Ant-Man, Dr Strange and Guardians.

It also has the feel like I was watching an extra long episode of Agents of Shield.

Definitely worth a watch if you enjoy comic book films... has its issues but I think they can build a good franchise from this.

Jude Law and the Kree are interesting... I’d love too see maybe for Guardians V.3 they crossover with maybe the Kree... that would be interesting.

Generalzod

Immortal
Captain Marvel - pretty good.

Cool setting in the 90’s... the story was really cosmic but felt a little different to the other cosmic Marvel films like Guardians, Ragnarok & Dr Strange.

I liked a lot of aspects to it but it also felt kinda dated... not because of the period it was in... but it kinda felt like a phase 1 film...

The story felt like an origin story similar to the original films... and not like some of the later origin stories like Ant-Man, Dr Strange and Guardians.

It also has the feel like I was watching an extra long episode of Agents of Shield.

Definitely worth a watch if you enjoy comic book films... has its issues but I think they can build a good franchise from this.

Jude Law and the Kree are interesting... I’d love too see maybe for Guardians V.3 they crossover with maybe the Kree... that would be interesting.
Nah wasn’t made for me :smile:

Game_Breaker

Coach
Captain Marvel was alright, nothing too special
Plot was able to be told to the audience without confusing them, which it did have the potential to do if rushed or they DC'd the screenplay
I was expecting a whole lot of feminism to be crammed into this movie, but it wasn't really there (or not shoved in your face)
Final battle scene was a CGI-fest that didn't look right, but I accepted it as a set up for upcoming movies

Best part was the the mid-credit scene, because that was the whole point of the movie - the set up for End Game

Parra

Referee
Bad Times at the El Royale - f**k me this overshot and was just plain bad. Like The Room but with a budget and a lot of pretension.

I had to download The Big Short immediately after so I could watch how a great story unfolds, even with different perspectives and timelines. Put the world right again.

Bad Times was an attempt at Tarantino style - think Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction but without the dialogue, story or direction. And the way they kept chopping to some shite pop music right on cue - we were joking anticipating the next one - and nailed it. No thought went into it. And certainly no effort went into the script. It was awful. Then that Aussie acting all Manson-esque turns up. Again, no point.

The opening scene was so interesting. And that was it.

Matua

Bench
Captain Marvel was alright, nothing too special
Plot was able to be told to the audience without confusing them, which it did have the potential to do if rushed or they DC'd the screenplay
I was expecting a whole lot of feminism to be crammed into this movie, but it wasn't really there (or not shoved in your face)
Final battle scene was a CGI-fest that didn't look right, but I accepted it as a set up for upcoming movies

Best part was the the mid-credit scene, because that was the whole point of the movie - the set up for End Game
I thought it was fun in the recent Marvel space movies (Guardians, Thor Ragnarok etc) style and it was cool to see Fury in an extended role in a Marvel movie.

Edit: Also, the de-aging of Fury and Caulson was awesome, they're getting better at it with each subsequent movie.

It's interesting you mention feminism as I was tracking the IMDB rating for this - mainly because my Youtube loving mate said he wasn't coming to see it because of the "IMDB" rating. Now here's the thing with this IMDB rating, it had almost equivalent numbers of 10s and 1s (which were two thirds of the ratings) before the movie was even properly released. Also, the number of 1s, I remind you before the movie was released, had eclipsed the 2nd Thor and the Hulk move, mostly acknowledged as the two worst movies by Marvel. Since it's been released it has been showing a normal ratings movement with more normal ratings. But I do wonder if IMDB have a system to rule out politically motivated film ratings?

Last edited:

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Captain marvel, really enjoyed it. Agree it was more of an antman than the most recent few marvel releases but I was still pretty keen to see the story as I didn't know anything about the character at all from my limited comic book knowledge.

Hopefully goose joins the battle against thanos

Also watched overlord, meh.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Anyone else watch Leaving Neverland?

Wow... what an eye opener

I always thought the previous accusers were just after Jackson’s money. Obviously always thought he was a complete weirdo but he was always so childlike that I couldn’t actually imagine him being sexual in any sense..

Prior to watching the doco I couldn’t fathom how one of the subjects could be so adamant in the past that he hadn’t been abused and then all of a sudden after his death come out and change his story. However after watching the documentary it helps you understand the mindset these boys were in.

There are still Jackson defenders out there and there always will be,but I have no doubt now that he was an out and out peadophile.

horrie hastings

First Grade
All good. I happen to own The Core on Blu-ray. No excuses.

Just had a look at the trailer for Core, very interesting, think I would probably enjoy watching it, I definitely know my better half would love it.
As for Earthquake, when I was growing up the two block buster movies at the time when I was around 12 years old were Earthquake and The Towering Inferno, both had a massive run at theatres and at my age they were amazing to see on the big screen, The Towering Inferno I was mesmerised by and I still count it as my favourite movie, Earthquake itself has aged badly, back at the time it was easy to gloss over the movies deficiencies but now watching it now some of the special effects are just down right embarrassing, although some are still pretty good especially before CGI, the whole movie just looked like it was rushed through to beat the release The Towering Inferno and the scenes with the psychotic national guardsmen where he stalks Victoria Principal and shoots dead the thugs are just plain disturbing. Still though I am going to enjoy watching it again on Blu Ray sometime in the not to distant future.

Latest posts