What Movies Have You Seen III

Discussion in 'The Music & Movies Forum' started by Frederick, Oct 9, 2014.

1. azzah72

azzah72 Bench

Tend to agree, there's a great idea and concept in this movie but the writing is no good.

Biggest issue for me outside of the story faults is there was such little action.

In a 2.5 hr movie that could have easily been 2, was there 4 actions scenes in total? Amounting to about 20 mins?

A tighter story and editing, it could have been great because there was a cool idea in there but not to be.

2. Matua

Matua Juniors

The worst thing about it is that if it was just a straight up action movie it could have been class.

Nolan always threatens to disappear up his own ass, I think he did with this one, although I was happy enough while watching it and will probably rewatch it too. :D Better than Dark Knight Rises but probably only that of his films.

3. soc123_au

soc123_au Coach

I saw it for the first time as well a few days ago. I remember the hype train when it came out & probably avoided it for that reason. I'm a dick obviously because like you said it was very good. I never rated Penn much originally, but as I get older I appreciate him more, very good at his craft.

Lemon Squash likes this.
  4. Wizardman

Wizardman First Grade

I watched "The Equalizer" with Denzel Washington. Okay movie....not great but not terrible. 3 out of 5.

RedVDave likes this.
  5. Zoidberg

Zoidberg First Grade

Jojo Rabbit. Not as jokey as I was expecting (because of Waititi) but loved what it actually was. Emotional, dark, heartwarming and funny. Made me think about what WWII would’ve been like for children more than I ever have. Really good movie worth watching.

jargan83 likes this.
  6. Matua

Matua Juniors

I thought this was great, and actually hilarious at times.
    The fat Nazi giving the kids the various weapons and bombs had me in hysterics.
    Although, one of the guys I saw it with hated it, so it's clearly an each to their own.

to_ddeath and jargan83 like this.
  7. Wizardman

Wizardman First Grade

I watched "Last Vegas" last night. Great actors (De Niro, Freeman, Kline, Douglas) appearing in an unfortunately typical sterile American comedy. It was ok....but not gut busting comedy. 2 out of 5.

8. Rhino_NQ

Rhino_NQ Immortal

Kuso......wtf did i just watch.

Never seen a movie where not a single scene made any sense whatsoever until now. There was some serious drug abuse happening while writing this.

9. Styles clash

Styles clash Juniors

End of the Century

Watched this after reading it's a time travel movie but my interpretation is it's more a slight fantasy movie. Certainly a "real movie" movie and a snug watch at under 90 minutes.

10. RedVDave

RedVDave Bench

The first one was pretty enjoyable (could of been trimmed by 25-30 mins though) the second one however was pretty bad.

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg First Grade

Just watched this for the first time after you reminded me of it, it’s on my “to watch” list (and has been for many years). Very powerful movie and yeah, Sean Penn...wow, probably one of the best performances I’ve seen, in any movie.

axl rose, soc123_au and Lemon Squash like this.
  12. Matua

Matua Juniors

What's a real movie? TBH, the trailer makes it look like something the first year students at the film school I used to work at would throw together.

13. Matua

Matua Juniors

The Dry - Aussie thriller/drama starring Eric Bana. Was decent. Would probably have been better if I hadn't read the book, would have been quite harrowing in parts.

14. Styles clash

Styles clash Juniors

No explosions, gun shots, things of that nature.

15. Lemon Squash

Lemon Squash First Grade

Green Book - exceptional film. Don’t think I’ve ever watched a movie where I have gritted my teeth in anger, teared up with emotion and laughed out loud multiple times.

I know it sounds strange for a movie that won Best Picture at the oscars to be underrated but this movie is. Perhaps not with film buffs but in general with the everyday punter, not many people have even heard of it let alone seen it.. tremendous shame.

16. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Referee

I just finished the book and enjoyed it. Movie do it justice?

17. Fufu Andronez

Fufu Andronez First Grade

The Judge - 7.5 / 10

18. Matua

Matua Juniors

Well that's just a strange take on movies. Each to their own I guess ...

Yeah, it's a good adaption, not 100% the same obviously and a few characters were completely different than how I imagined them (the look mostly).

If you want to see it on the big screen then worth going now, but if you're going to watch it at home maybe leave it a bit so you have a bit of a gap.

Vic Mackey likes this.
  19. mongoose

mongoose First Grade

Sweet Country - Set in post WW1 South Australian outback i'm guessing. About an indigenous man who kills a white fella in self defense and the local law enforcement go after him. A bit slow and understated but some beautiful shots of that part of the country.

20. shiznit

shiznit Coach

Yeah it’s polarising....

a lot of people I know absolutely love it... me and the Mrs thought it was abit meh... overrated IMO.

Being Kiwi and Maori in particular i’m familiar with nearly all of Taika’s work... so his humour falls right in our wheelhouse.

but Jojo would be well behind Wilderpeople, Boy, What we do in the shadows and maybe just ahead of Ragnarok and Eagle vs Shark.

But for a film who people have been telling me it’s his best... I just didn’t think it was that funny.

it had one REAL shocking moment... the ‘shoe scene’ but apart from that it was okay...

maybe because I’m more used to his kiwi/maori humour this was distinctively not a kiwi/maori film so the comedy didn’t hit as much with me...