What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Apey

Staff member
Watched Mystic River after a couple of reviews on here. Honestly thought it was pretty average. Great acting, decent premise, but overall fell flat on me.

Matua

Bench
The Night Comes for US: Indonesian action film similar to The Raid's 1 & 2 and with much of the same cast.

Really good if you like brutal action, extended fight scenes, lots of knives, and people who can absorb multiple stab wounds.

Weirdly some of the dialogue is in English despite having no characters who would be regular English speakers. Most dialogue is Indonesian with a little bit of Chinese sprinkled in.

edabomb

First Grade
I watched The Little Things. Thought it would be up my alley as a detective mystery with the 90s setting, not at all. Fell really flat for me. I'd compare it unfavourably to A Walk Among the Tombstones.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Going to see the stage show of Young Frankenstein next month so watched Young Frankenstein which i recorded onto the hard drive from SBS ages ago.
As with most Mel Brookes movies there is a lot of in humour, while it heavily borrowed from Frankenstein it drew lots from Bride of Frankenstein and even more so from Son Of Frankenstein and there were also nods towards Dracula and King Kong.
Gene Wilder was excellent as Dr Frederick Frankenstein but Marty Feldman steals the show as Igor.

Will be interesting to see how they stage the stage show from the movie.

Feild of dreams.

Crying like a baby, I don't even like baseball.

But

If you build ihey will come.

They will most definitely come Ray.

The final half hour makes me cry every time I see it. The Doc... :sob::sob::sob:

It’s one of those rare magical whimsy films that defined Costner as an aw-shucks good guy.

I've seen it a few times, but recently bought it on Blu-Ray.

Moon (2009) starring Sam Rockwell.

Moon_%282008%29_film_poster.jpg

Has a very small cast, with Rockwell on screen for much of the movie on his own. Has a sci-fi setting, but is more a mystery/thriller/drama than anything else. I can't say too much about it as it would spoil what it is about, but this is a great little 95 minute film but is really is an acting tour-de-force performance from Rockwell in this.

Thoroughly recommend it.

p.s.

It has a sci-fi setting but is not an action/shoot 'em up type movie.

Last edited:

nöyd

Staff member
The Little Things.

I don't mind a movie that's a slow burner as long as there is a payoff at the end. There is no payoff at the end of this film, except to say that someone gets away with murder, but not who you would expect. But I was beyond caring at that point and found myself watching the clock more than the screen.

I think it's safe to assume most moviegoers would expect more from 3 Oscar winners in the lead roles, but this just falls flat. Denzel just looked like he couldn't give a f**k, Rami Malek's character's traits seemed to change in every act, and Jared Leto is just meh.

I kept getting a Se7en vibe, but I feel dirty for mentioning this film in the same breath as that classic.

Avoid.

EDIT: I shit you not, I just watched Jeremy Jahn's review on youtube, he basically said everything I wrote above. I swear I did not see his review before posting mine lol

That was weird.

Last edited:
I've seen it a few times, but recently bought it on Blu-Ray.

Moon (2009) starring Sam Rockwell.

Moon_%282008%29_film_poster.jpg

Has a very small cast, with Rockwell on screen for much of the movie on his own. Has a sci-fi setting, but is more a mystery/thriller/drama than anything else. I can't say too much about it as it would spoil what it is about, but this is a great little 95 minute film but is really is an acting tour-de-force performance from Rockwell in this.

Thoroughly recommend it.

p.s.

It has a sci-fi setting but is not an action/shoot 'em up type movie.

This sounds like a bit of me.

Sam Rockwell is up there with my favourite contemporary actors.

I thought he was great as George W and also in 3 Billboards.

Will give this a spin if I see it.

Matua

Bench
The Little Things.

I don't mind a movie that's a slow burner as long as there is a payoff at the end. There is no payoff at the end of this film, except to say that someone gets away with murder, but not who you would expect. But I was beyond caring at that point and found myself watching the clock more than the screen.

I think it's safe to assume most moviegoers would expect more from 3 Oscar winners in the lead roles, but this just falls flat. Denzel just looked like he couldn't give a f**k, Rami Malek's character's traits seemed to change in every act, and Jared Leto is just meh.

I kept getting a Se7en vibe, but I feel dirty for mentioning this film in the same breath as that classic.

Avoid.

EDIT: I shit you not, I just watched Jeremy Jahn's review on youtube, he basically said everything I wrote above. I swear I did not see his review before posting mine lol

That was weird.
I was pleasantly surprised with this, as I'd kept hearing the Seven vibes about it (but I avoid reviews until after I've seen a film) so was expecting that - and to me t really wasn't anything like Seven.

I kept thinking he was going to kill Malek's hot wife.