What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

T-Boon

Coach
It's a great movie. Tom Cruise isn't the kind of person I would want to have a beer with but most of his movies are very watchable.

Haha, I think he would be great to have a beer with.
Loonies are good company over the beer.

I agree on Reacher, but Live Die Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow was a real good film

Edge of Tomorrow was an awesome film for mine. I watched Oblivion a little while ago which I quite liked also (Also a Sci-Fi, saving-humanity-type-movie), although I much preferred Edge of Tomorrow.

Personally there's not many Tom Cruise Movies i've seen that I truly dislike. Although Vanilla Sky was probably the closest thing. I love a mindbender movie but couldn't get into this - I've given it a second go too.

azzah72

Bench
I love tom Cruises big dick energy in his movies.

Particuarly the 80's movies.

I like most of what he's been in, regardless of the man himself.

M.I movies are great, agreed with edge of tomorrow, Minority report is great. Jerry Maguire, collateral, a few good men. there's so many more.

Who could forget Les Grossman!

Jim Rockford

Bench
For me the only 2 Cruise movies I would still watch are Colour of Money and Born on the Fourth of July. Thats more to do with who directed those films rather than Cruise being in them.

Generalzod

Immortal
aliens-989223912-large.jpg

I guess he didnt like the corn bread lol

Frederick

Staff member
If I had to vote right now for most under rated movie I would go Edge of Tomorrow.
It does not have the greatest ending, but the concept and the first 70 minutes or so are great and I find Cruise to be funny in it. Each of his deaths where he screams like a women is good stuff.
There's a new movie coming out starring Frank Grillo called Boss Level which basically seems like edge of tomorrow without aliens

As comical as 6 foot 3 Hugh Jackman playing 5 foot 3 Wolverine?
Never watched a wolverine movie so can't comment.
the jack Reacher series is probably the most read book series in the last 15 years .
Those that have read the books (long before TC bought the rights to make the movie) would have a picture of JR in their minds .
& id bet it's nothing like Tom Cruise.
Worst casting I can think of .

Eelementary

Post Whore
Never watched a wolverine movie so can't comment.
the jack Reacher series is probably the most read book series in the last 15 years .
Those that have read the books (long before TC bought the rights to make the movie) would have a picture of JR in their minds .
& id bet it's nothing like Tom Cruise.
Worst casting I can think of .

I don't know if it'd more read than the Harry Potter series, or the Twilight series, but fair point.

I don't disagree, necessarily - I like Tom Cruise, but it was a weird decision to cast him.

My point was that Hollywood does it all the time, and Tom Cruise is a proven Hollywood action star, so it kind of makes sense.

When the first Jack Reacher film came out, there weren't many bankable Hollywood stars as physical as Jack Reacher is.

Now, you could use Chris Hemsworth, Dwyane Johnson, etc.

But back then, maybe not so much; a few of the beefier cast members from Twilight tried their hands at action roles.

They lacked charisma, and big acting chops, and as a result, their careers stagnated.

At the very least, Tom Cruise has an impressive back catalogue of action films - regardless of how believable he may have been in them.

Parra

Referee
Saw Jojo Rabbit. One of those movies you just pick on a plane. I had no real idea or expectation. Loved it. Brilliant satire. Can't believe you could pitch this and get it funded and made. They pulled it off though. Could rewatch it already.

RedVDave

First Grade
Jack Reacher series by Lee Child I have read and thoroughly enjoyed all 25 books, dare I say one of the best crime/thriller I have ever read.

Jack Reacher is a monster of a man who intimidates people with his size and was played by Tom Cruise a great actor no doubt but not suited to the role at all. Sean Bean, Dwayne Johnson etc. Would have been far more suited to the be Jack Reacher, I hope they create a TV series or something to do redeem those movies.

Matua

Bench
Jack Reacher series by Lee Child I have read and thoroughly enjoyed all 25 books, dare I say one of the best crime/thriller I have ever read.

Jack Reacher is a monster of a man who intimidates people with his size and was played by Tom Cruise a great actor no doubt but not suited to the role at all. Sean Bean, Dwayne Johnson etc. Would have been far more suited to the be Jack Reacher, I hope they create a TV series or something to do redeem those movies.
They are creating a tv series. Lee Child is involved, but Lee Child was also supportive of Cruise's version and the movies.

I don't read the books, so I just took the movies at face value, the first one was good, the second was ok.

Saw Jojo Rabbit. One of those movies you just pick on a plane. I had no real idea or expectation. Loved it. Brilliant satire. Can't believe you could pitch this and get it funded and made. They pulled it off though. Could rewatch it already.

I’m really keen to see this movie.

I don't know if it'd more read than the Harry Potter series, or the Twilight series, but fair point.

I don't disagree, necessarily - I like Tom Cruise, but it was a weird decision to cast him.

My point was that Hollywood does it all the time, and Tom Cruise is a proven Hollywood action star, so it kind of makes sense.

When the first Jack Reacher film came out, there weren't many bankable Hollywood stars as physical as Jack Reacher is.

Now, you could use Chris Hemsworth, Dwyane Johnson, etc.

But back then, maybe not so much; a few of the beefier cast members from Twilight tried their hands at action roles.

They lacked charisma, and big acting chops, and as a result, their careers stagnated.

At the very least, Tom Cruise has an impressive back catalogue of action films - regardless of how believable he may have been in them.

It does happen all the time. And with the amount of blockbuster book adaptations Tom Cruise does, this is not the first time it has happened to Tom Cruise.

People were also howling when he played Lestat in Interview with the Vampire, none more than the books author, Anne Rice.

She later went on to recant her criticisms and admit Cruise did a fine job acting the character.

Another Anne Rice novel was adapted into a movie called “The Vampire Lestat”. The bloke cast as Lestat may have been more true to the novels “Lestat” but nobody remembers because it was a largely forgettable movie.

Maybe this was when Rice recanted her criticism, I can’t remember the timing of it all.

Tom Cruise maybe a weird, short Scientologist but he is also an excellent actor who has stayed relevant in the business for as long as I’ve been watching movies, and with that he attracts to his movies other big acting stars, big name directors and also big budget approvals.

I wouldn’t even say I’m a big Tom Cruise fan but I was talking with the missus just recently about his career and it is pretty impressive.

I did also really enjoy how he tore shreds off some the crew that didn’t share his “focus” about keeping the movie in production during Covid restrictions. It was pretty f**ken great hearing him lose his shit in real life. It actually sounded a bit like him in Jerry Maguire. :joy:

Also, a very enjoyable movie!

P.s: I haven’t seen any Mission Impossible’s. I hear they are actually pretty good, and I am sure they are but I’m not in any hurry for them.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It does happen all the time. And with the amount of blockbuster book adaptations Tom Cruise does, this is not the first time it has happened to Tom Cruise.

People were also howling when he played Lestat in Interview with the Vampire, none more than the books author, Anne Rice.

She later went on to recant her criticisms and admit Cruise did a fine job acting the character.

Another Anne Rice novel was adapted into a movie called “The Vampire Lestat”. The bloke cast as Lestat may have been more true to the novels “Lestat” but nobody remembers because it was a largely forgettable movie.

Maybe this was when Rice recanted her criticism, I can’t remember the timing of it all.

Tom Cruise maybe a weird, short Scientologist but he is also an excellent actor who has stayed relevant in the business for as long as I’ve been watching movies, and with that he attracts to his movies other big acting stars, big name directors and also big budget approvals.

I wouldn’t even say I’m a big Tom Cruise fan but I was talking with the missus just recently about his career and it is pretty impressive.

I did also really enjoy how he tore shreds off some the crew that didn’t share his “focus” about keeping the movie in production during Covid restrictions. It was pretty f**ken great hearing him lose his shit in real life. It actually sounded a bit like him in Jerry Maguire. :joy:

Also, a very enjoyable movie!

P.s: I haven’t seen any Mission Impossible’s. I hear they are actually pretty good, and I am sure they are but I’m not in any hurry for them.

The Mission: Impossible series is pretty good fun.

Lost of zany action sequences, which Cruise is very good at.

Amazing thing is, Cruise does a lot of his own stunts too.

I find I own most of his catalogue too.

Oblivion is a great one to watch. Edge of Tomorrow too.