What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

PJ

First Grade
Holy Spider. 8-8.5

Based on a true story, set in Iran about a serial killer.

We found it very interesting.

Can stream it from SBS

Frederick

Staff member
Took the kids to see Inside Out 2 on Saturday. Just as good as the first one IMO. Being the father of two pre-teen daughters, it's given me the a glimpse into the future

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Watched Longlegs the other night, the trailer looked kinda creepy and I had heard it was kinda Silence of the Lambs meets David Lynch which intrigued me.

Although I can see how people would draw the above comparison it definitely doesn't live up to that sort of hype, unfortunately the movie itself ended up leaning a bit too far into supernatural realm for my liking, and I wasn't really satisfied with how it all tied up in the end.
At least it was pretty funny seeing Nic Cage as the psycho antagonist just due to how batshit insane he was (especially with all the makeup to make him not resemble Nic Cage at all). You think you've seen all the different types of crazy out of Nic Cage, he goes and pulls out yet another example hah!

horrie hastings

First Grade
Whatever Happened To Baby Jane

The first of the Grand Guignol or hag horror movies and probably the best ,veterans Bette Davis and Joan Crawford give a grand and chilling performance of two former movie stars, one a child hood actor and star and the other who became a more famous actress, the story revolves about the two sisters one is crippled and depends on the other for care but there is resentment and the sister isolates and tortures her older sibling who is crippled, what sets this apart from just being a macabre tale is the performances of both ladies, Bette Davis is totally believable as the totally deranged former child star who is slipping further into madness and then Joan Crawford who plays the victim Blanche but does hold a very big secret. Ably supported by Victor Buono as the slovenly Edwin Flagg, Anna Lee as the next door neighbour and Maidie Norman as the maid Elvira this movie is a notch above your shclock horror flick and started a cycle of aging actresses playing more macabre horror roles.

Last edited:

Game_Breaker

Coach
Iron Claw

True story of the Von Erich wresting family.
I thought it was good, but they rely too much on the audience knowing the story and lacked some exposition, I vaguely knew about the Von Erich curse but more exposition would help

The story is so sad they had to tone it down to make the movie. They completely removed the younger brother from the story which I don’t agree with. Having 5/6 brothers die as opposed to 4/5 is a bridge too far

Surprisingly good performance from Zac Efron.

Reactions: PJ

Zoidberg

First Grade
Every quick review I’ve seen for Joker 2 says it’s bad. I quite liked the first one so this is pretty disappointing. Not sure if I’ll get the opportunity to see it at the cinema, may wait for streaming now.

PJ

First Grade
Salem's Lot. 6.5

Nowhere near up to the book, but probably only 3 or 4 movies of Kings are. When will they realise the strength of his writing and stories are the characters.

Not as good as the 70s version but better than the naughties. Some parts were better a lot worse.

Could have been a very good 4 or part miniseries.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Watched to kill a sacred deer

I get why it’s rated so highly but didn’t do it for me. Well directed and acted but overall found it slow, boring and the awkward character interaction got old quickly. Small spoiler: It also made no sense, did the merkin have supernatural powers? I don’t know, it was all weird. Then at the end after all the shit happens it’s like everything’s sweet now. 2 stars, both because you got to see Nicole Kidman naked and for her age she is f**king banging

Game_Breaker

Coach
Every quick review I’ve seen for Joker 2 says it’s bad. I quite liked the first one so this is pretty disappointing. Not sure if I’ll get the opportunity to see it at the cinema, may wait for streaming now.

It’s a flop
Comic book fans don’t want to see a musical
Musical fans won’t go see a comic book movie

Was a terrible idea to begin with

Not as much of a flop as Megalopolis

Munky

Coach
It's What's Inside

On Netflix and really enjoyed it, went in blind which I'd recommend

Last edited:

YoHadrian

Juniors
Can concur about Joker 2. Saw it today in my hungover condition with Mrs Hadrian even if seeing a f****** musical whilst feeling like sh*t wasn't the best idea I've had today.

Boring & annoying & whoever had the idea to turn it into a musical is moronic.

Joaquim Phoenix does a good Joker however he must have gritted his teeth & thought of the money when someone showed him the script with songs & Lady GooGoo.

Matua

Bench
I hated Joker 1, poor facsimile of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, maybe I'm going to like 2 if all the people who liked 1 don't like it? ;)

Although, I hate musical movies (I like live theatre musicals) so probably not.

kit66

Bench
Harakiri 1962
I've been meaning to see this again for years (saw it in the early 80's) as it seems to be on everyone's top 10 or Letterboxd 4 or a Criterion Closet pick lately.
Harakiri means ritual suicide, actually disemboweling yourself then your "second" lops your head off.
You can't give too much away without spoilers for this so suffice to say it's an incredible film with a mighty performance by the lead Tatsuya Nakadai and all involved. Lots of tension with a long slow build up to the climax and at 2 1/4 hours you'll need a little patience. B&W with subtitles isn't everyone's cup of tea but well worth it for this and many other old Japanese Samurai flicks.
This won't make my top 10 but it's up there. 8/10

Hollow Point 2016

From the sublime to the nearly ridiculous. This is a No Country For Old Men wannabe and it almost gets there but a poor script, direction, execution and a 3rd rate leading lady let it down. Great cinematography, good score and a good story keep it afloat and the performances of Patric Wilson, John Leguizamo and Ian McShane are admirable, John Belushi is ok too if a little stilted. The action scenes in particular could have been handled a lot better.
With a better script and director this could have been something special. Worth a watch though - free on Tubi. 5/10

PJ

First Grade
Speak No Evil, western remake. 8/10.

Speak No Evil on SBS. Danish original. 5.5/10

Rare case where the western remake is superior. Largely due to how good McEvoy was but also the fleshed out the story a lot and added some humour.

Some parts are near word for word re enectment but there are plenty of differences up until act3, then they are very different films.

If I'd seen the original first I wouldn't have watched the remake.

mongoose

Coach
I hated Joker 1, poor facsimile of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy, maybe I'm going to like 2 if all the people who liked 1 don't like it? ;)

Although, I hate musical movies (I like live theatre musicals) so probably not.
Same, I didn't like the first Joker, didn't get the point of it... it was unnecessary and awkward.

Latest posts