What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what muscles do...

Martli

Coach
cWo 4 LiFe said:
how many times a week should i be going

Do you have a clear plan? Like do you know what day you exercise what muscles or are you one of those guys that goes does a few sets on the bench press a few bicep curls and then his the tredmil?? I don't think the amount of days really matters, as long as you do get some rest days in there - they're just as crucial.

Stranger

Coach
Work out 2-3x a week, if you are beginning just once. Depends on how hard you work and how long you need for recovery.

Should have ATLEAST a day and a half between muscles sets. Ur recovery can be swimming or something wich will work ur muscles but not to hard.

Eat Complex carbs such as pasta, not simple carbs such as jellybeans.

After a work-out you shouln't pack in the protein, but you should replace your energy stores. Thats why footballers drink poweraid or gatoraid, because its a simple carb. Your protein levels will be high because the protein doesnt get used till after you finish working out. Have the protein before a set not after.

u shud go gym like 3 days a week but dont do your entire body in one session

so, one day do your opper body, rest the next day, then do your lower body resting your upper, so on and so forth

Stranger

Coach
You can do different sets and still go 5x a week if you wish.
But Martli is right you need a plan.
For example
Monday - Chest
Tuesday - Legs
Weds- Arms
Thurs - legs
Frid - Chest

Of course you wouldn't follow that exact, but then you need to break it down even further to a PRECISE set, down to repetitions and sets.

les norton

First Grade
I'm a chick and do around 150 push ups per boxacise class...Plus tricep push ups plus bizarre torture esque ones as well...bring up a notch you skirt

Push ups only work when you maximise the number or alternate the style.

do pyramid sets aswell when doing weights

5 sets alternating reps and weight

eg

1st set - 16 reps at 15 kg less than your maximum strength
2nd set - 12 reps, same weight as above
3rd set - 10 reps at your maximum weight
4th set - 8 reps at your max
5th set - 12/14 reps at somewhere like the 1st 2 sets, i usually drop 10 kg tho

sh*t works for me, maybe not for you though donno

morri (cWo)

First Grade
Martli said:
Do you have a clear plan? Like do you know what day you exercise what muscles or are you one of those guys that goes does a few sets on the bench press a few bicep curls and then his the tredmil?? I don't think the amount of days really matters, as long as you do get some rest days in there - they're just as crucial.

thats me

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
i strted goin lately, and i eat tuna everyday, and have a protein shake postworkout like martli.

but i got a flexible program, not as structured as you guys, so i guess i must work on that.

Martli

Coach
I do something like this

Monday: All over upperbody (Chest, arms, shoulders, back, abs) Heavy day
Tuesday: Either off or cardio
Wednesday: Either off or Cardio (Depends on tuesday)
Thursday: Chest, Shoulders, Tris (Pushing Muscles)
Friday: Back, Biceps, Traps (Pulling Muscles) and abs
Saturday: Cardio if I can be f**ked :lol:
Sunday: Off

If I don't drink I lose 1kg a week doing that workout on about 200g of protein and 200g of carbs (No idea what my fat intake is but it's pretty low. Don't do legs since it doesn't help with my cardio (legs too sore) but when I decide to bulk i'll start doing my legs again no doubt.

But yeah, there are heaps of different combinations - that's just mine. What you need is to find yourself a structured workout that works best for you. I suggest getting one of the trainers at your gym to give you a program based on the goals you want to achieve.

Eelementary

Post Whore
You want to get huge? Follow Doctor Eele's tips:

* Eat nothing but fatty food for 6 months

* Drink nothing but beer for 6 months

* Once you're so fat you are out of breath after sneezing, hit the gym. Work your upper body, biceps, triceps - everything.

After a few months, you'll be MASSIVE.

Mr Saab

Referee
RaiderKate said:
In all seriousness, what is the purpose of push ups then???

Not much unless you have a significant weight on your back (like a 25kg weight or a person...which are called donkey pushups)

Mr Saab

Referee
Because they are a very simple exercise to do for the avg jane or joe....but if you want to add size to the chest (and seeing as you are a girl, that is not an objective of yours) then they are pretty much useless IMO.
Dumbells and barbells are where it is at.

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
I have highly toned right arm muscles......comes from many years of lifting schooner glasses! ;-) :sarcasm: :alcho: