What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What those advocating afl style expansion don't want u to know

Wb1234

Referee
You’ve been “on“ a terrace lol. Usually a good atmosphere at headingly. I miss the east stand at craven park.
You’ve been “on“ a terrace lol. Usually a good atmosphere at headingly. I miss the east stand at craven park.
I was at the kc too for the derby

rovers needed to win to not get relegated

a chunk of your fans had their shirts off the whole second half and were singing stayin uuup stayin uuuppp

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was at the kc too for the derby

rovers needed to win to not get relegated

a chunk of your fans had their shirts off the whole second half and were singing stayin uuup stayin uuuppp
Its a bizarrely English thing to do for fat blokes to take their shirts off lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not often I agree with Gould but he's 100% right in the half arsed way NRL has gone about expansion. No strategy, no investment, rushing them in, no long term support or expectation for the new club. So NRL.

I'd laugh my guts out if the Titans merged with the Burleigh Bears to become the Gold Coast Bears, killing any hope of North Sydney ever returning. It would be a great way for the game to add life into the Gold Coast and put an end to the stupid calls to being back North Sydney that have been going around for 20 years. I think it would give the Gold Coast club some clout and much needed respect as a formidable entity that killed a NSWRL club once and for all, which would mean a lot to Queenslanders and rile up passionate NSWRL fans.

mongoose

Coach
Not often I agree with Gould but he's 100% right in the half arsed way NRL has gone about expansion. No strategy, no investment, rushing them in, no long term support or expectation for the new club. So NRL.

I don't get Gould

He thinks we should have a draft but then he loves to bang on about his precious panthers juniors and how they all grew up playing together and how wonderful it is they are playing first grade together?

I'm also not sure about using GWS as an example of expansion done well, their support is woeful despite getting huge leg ups and having many millions from head office poured into them.

The Dolphins are not like the Giants or the Storm, they are an already established 2nd tier club being promoted to the top, not a brand new franchise in a non heartland area. The only thing he is right about is that they should have been given another year to recruit and of course there is the debate about whether they should have been the 17th team or not but that's beside the point.

Pippen94

First Grade

I don't get Gould

He thinks we should have a draft but then he loves to bang on about his precious panthers juniors and how they all grew up playing together and how wonderful it is they are playing first grade together?

I'm also not sure about using GWS as an example of expansion done well, their support is woeful despite getting huge leg ups and having many millions from head office poured into them.

The Dolphins are not like the Giants or the Storm, they are an already established 2nd tier club being promoted to the top, not a brand new franchise in a non heartland area. The only thing he is right about is that they should have been given another year to recruit and of course there is the debate about whether they should have been the 17th team or not but that's beside the point.

I get that too. He's talking down the new guys. Brisbane 2 should & will be a success. Perth, Adelaide like Melbourne are one's you have to worry about & require long term (always?) investment.

Colk

First Grade
I don't get Gould

Whilst I also disagree that the Giants are a good example, it is quite obvious that AFL do expansion better than us.

Also he is right that they have stuffed this one up. That’s not to say that it won’t be a success down the track, they have completely rushed this.

MugaB

Coach
Whilst I also disagree that the Giants are a good example, it is quite obvious that AFL do expansion better than us.

Also he is right that they have stuffed this one up. That’s not to say that it won’t be a success down the track, they have completely rushed this.
Goulds been wrong for the bulk of this year, barrett is our coach for the next 5 years, and he'll be coach way past my years, talks about expansion failing and uses AFL as a metric, thats an oxymoron right there, even with all the leg ups in draft picks and dispensation, they are still poorly managing with suns and giants, but that aside...
In regards to expansion, you expand where the presence is heavy, redcliffe is heartland, it will be fine... everyone is quick to judge the ARLC, but the final roster hasn't even been completed yet... it would be dumb to expand to an area that has not much league presence like Adelaide and give a year and a half lead time, fact is redcliffe have their juniors and they can fall back on them,
Also the fact is there hasn't been an expansion team ever to climb the ladder straight away barr the warriors and storm in the history of the game, most expansion teams ran bottom 2 in their first year... got to be reasonable, we can't just give the dolphins and extra lump sum of money on their salary cap, that means the competition is not just.. it also means the teams who've worked hard to climb off the bottom and are trying to get better get overthrown by a cashed up new "expansion" side thats not fair to the supporters of said team.. no one will ever want/vote for expansion ever again if thats the case.. let them run last, and over 3 seasons bennet will have something going.... we cant just throw money at the problems thats Greenberg policy...
Just coz the dolphins are the new shiny toy of the nrl, doesn't mean we have to give them wins, they gotta earn it, sink or swin muthaf**kas, UR A DOLPHIN!!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yen
Goulds been wrong for the bulk of this year, barrett is our coach for the next 5 years, and he'll be coach way past my years, talks about expansion failing and uses AFL as a metric, thats an oxymoron right there, even with all the leg ups in draft picks and dispensation, they are still poorly managing with suns and giants, but that aside...
In regards to expansion, you expand where the presence is heavy, redcliffe is heartland, it will be fine... everyone is quick to judge the ARLC, but the final roster hasn't even been completed yet... it would be dumb to expand to an area that has not much league presence like Adelaide and give a year and a half lead time, fact is redcliffe have their juniors and they can fall back on them,
Also the fact is there hasn't been an expansion team ever to climb the ladder straight away barr the warriors and storm in the history of the game, most expansion teams ran bottom 2 in their first year... got to be reasonable, we can't just give the dolphins and extra lump sum of money on their salary cap, that means the competition is not just.. it also means the teams who've worked hard to climb off the bottom and are trying to get better get overthrown by a cashed up new "expansion" side thats not fair to the supporters of said team.. no one will ever want/vote for expansion ever again if thats the case.. let them run last, and over 3 seasons bennet will have something going.... we cant just throw money at the problems thats Greenberg policy...
Just coz the dolphins are the new shiny toy of the nrl, doesn't mean we have to give them wins, they gotta earn it, sink or swin muthaf**kas, UR A DOLPHIN!!!
yeh nothing like setting up a new club to be sht for the first few years, great business model. lol

MugaB

Coach
Yen

yeh nothing like setting up a new club to be sht for the first few years, great business model. lol
Got to be realistic, unless you are throwing matches or paying off refs, the new club will have to sustain itself they way most other clubs have done their whole existence, leg ups aren't a good example, gold coast needed bailing out several times, they are not wanting to do that... this whole notion that expansion needs to succeed in its first year is rubbish, its never happened ever... and why the media and folks pushing that veiwpoint are getting a quick fix off of drumming bad news on a team that hasn't even kicked off yet... plus youre expanding the comp. not handing out brownlows and flags to all clubs in attendance like the AFL

Its also a good advertisement that the competition isn't going to waver from the salary cap, just coz a newbie is wet behind the ears... its a statement saying if you bidders wanna join the NRL, you better tow the line, no free rides

Wb1234

Referee
As if Gus as boss of the bulldogs would allow expansion clubs to be supported like afl clubs are

he was one of those who attacked Dave smith when he came up with the idea

gus isn’t a fan of expansion

Colk

First Grade
As if Gus as boss of the bulldogs would allow expansion clubs to be supported like afl clubs are

he was one of those who attacked Dave smith when he came up with the idea

gus isn’t a fan of expansion

I don’t think he is against expansion per se, he just has a massive conflict of interest. Now, I think he may be right but there is also a interest for him to criticise a new venture: that being to help his club in the recruitment of players

MugaB

Coach
I don’t think he is against expansion per se, he just has a massive conflict of interest. Now, I think he may be right but there is also a interest for him to criticise a new venture: that being to help his club in the recruitment of players
Maybe little wayne, is looking in his backyard at the moment, already scooped up his current hooker, might wanna have a stab at TPJ

Colk

First Grade
Got to be realistic, unless you are throwing matches or paying off refs, the new club will have to sustain itself they way most other clubs have done their whole existence, leg ups aren't a good example, gold coast needed bailing out several times, they are not wanting to do that... this whole notion that expansion needs to succeed in its first year is rubbish, its never happened ever... and why the media and folks pushing that veiwpoint are getting a quick fix off of drumming bad news on a team that hasn't even kicked off yet... plus youre expanding the comp. not handing out brownlows and flags to all clubs in attendance like the AFL

Its also a good advertisement that the competition isn't going to waver from the salary cap, just coz a newbie is wet behind the ears... its a statement saying if you bidders wanna join the NRL, you better tow the line, no free rides

I agree with what you say to an extent, Muga B. I am also not in favour of giving individual clubs too many leg ups, in whatever context; however I would argue that they have rushed the process - they should be coming in 2024 as it is a massive task to sign a whole squad of players within 18 months.

The second problem is the rigidity of the salary cap. If we are going to expand further we have to work out something to work in accordance with a salary cap.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There’s not many business start ups that take this approach, and for good reason! there seems to be a strange belief that everyone is equal in nrl when in reality it is nothing like equal for a wide range of variables. Proof will be in the eating, let’s hope we don’t end up with titans2. Too early to say but one thing we can say, which I also predicted, is this notion that because they were an established qrl club it would mean they didn’t pillage other clubs for players was unrealistic. This is where the nrl could have got creative with a “leg up” that would have helped the dolphins and reduced the impact of dilution of talent on the comp.,

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Such short sighted views. The Dolphins will put together a roster good enough to be mid table and the coaching skills of Bennett might even make them a surprise finals team. They are chasing Munster for 2024 but all of that is the short term.

The fact is the Dolphins are a powerhouse and will be in the NRL. They have just about all of the best QLD under 15 talent singed up and one of the largest junior nurseries in the country. Who cares if they run 12th in their first two season when they are a financial and RL powerhouse for the comp in years to come.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Strong ratings on Fox for the 6pm game last night. Having 3 games on Sunday works well. Lock in 6pm sunday for the ninth game!

Wb1234

Referee

Fumble fans themselves are question their own expansion and yet there are people on here saying we should be like them