What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When are NRL teams going to get serious about their sponsors?

El Diablo

Post Whore
You could quite possibly be the stupidest person ever born.

That's it from me on this. That's all that needs to be said.

eagle_eye

Juniors
Id much rather have a company on my jersey like Delmege knowing their behind the club, willing to put in plenty of dollars. If a company stays sponsering a jersey for long enough they become well known anyway. I'm not sure what your arguing though, would you rather big companies just to make the game look better? As mentioned before, more money behind the club, the better is for the club and the game

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
El Diablo said:
You could quite possibly be the stupidest person ever born.

That's it from me on this. That's all that needs to be said.

Good then f**k off, because you've added sweet f**k all in this thread apart from a dirty great stain around posts 70-80.

Have a nice day Parrascum.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
eagle_eye said:
Id much rather have a company on my jersey like Delmege knowing their behind the club, willing to put in plenty of dollars. If a company stays sponsering a jersey for long enough they become well known anyway. I'm not sure what your arguing though, would you rather big companies just to make the game look better? As mentioned before, more money behind the club, the better is for the club and the game

If the company can commit and make a name for itself as Delmege is slowly but surely doing, it is excellent and I agree. The money is good for the game. What I'd rather, and I think Moffo is on this wavelengths, is that clubs who seem to cycle through sponsors frequently stop choosing to take companies on board who fall through easily.

The Tigers have been notorious for it, and I'm not sure what it is, my best guess is that Noyce has no idea how to pitch to a big name company. Even less successful clubs on field like the Cowboys managed to get a huge name like Toyota on board, and as their success built Toyota decided to stay. Cronulla have never won a premiership, but miraculously, they've had LG on board since 2001 - next year they will have sponsored them for 6 years! The Warriors were hopeless until 2002 - but they've held onto Vodafone as a major sponsor since 1999! The point is, success or not, long term, higher profile sponsors are what the game needs. Delmege is slowly becoming one of those through it's continued support. Might sound silly but I would like to see at least 12 of the 16 clubs have the same sponsors on their jerseys by 2010. Commitment and longevity from sponsors needs to be a priority IMO, like Telstra and the premiership. Winfield hung around for 15 years before it was legally turfed out as the naming rights sponsor. It's what's for the good of the game, and teams signing sponsors who clearly don't have the legs or a visible name, or the proper money to support it, don't deserve the contract. I love this game but clubs that continue to show poor business nous will flounder. FGS, Newcastle took almost 2 months to find a sponsor! They almost went financially kaput!

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
eagle_eye said:

I agree I would much rather someone who has the best interest of the club at heart with their name on the jersey throwing in the cash than some company who just wants more exposure. As a Wests Tigers fan I wish JFTA could have stuck around and upped the cash as the owner is a fan who helped out when were were in need. I dont think he really had much to gain out the sponsorship. I think about half the Broncos sponsors have gone broke in their time in the league so I don't think a clubs success has much to do with who is tipping in the cash for a name on the jersey.

eagle_eye

Juniors
dodge said:
If the company can commit and make a name for itself as Delmege is slowly but surely doing, it is excellent and I agree. The money is good for the game. What I'd rather, and I think Moffo is on this wavelengths, is that clubs who seem to cycle through sponsors frequently stop choosing to take companies on board who fall through easily.

The Tigers have been notorious for it, and I'm not sure what it is, my best guess is that Noyce has no idea how to pitch to a big name company. Even less successful clubs on field like the Cowboys managed to get a huge name like Toyota on board, and as their success built Toyota decided to stay. Cronulla have never won a premiership, but miraculously, they've had LG on board since 2001 - next year they will have sponsored them for 6 years! The Warriors were hopeless until 2002 - but they've held onto Vodafone as a major sponsor since 1999! The point is, success or not, long term, higher profile sponsors are what the game needs. Delmege is slowly becoming one of those through it's continued support. Might sound silly but I would like to see at least 12 of the 16 clubs have the same sponsors on their jerseys by 2010. Commitment and longevity from sponsors needs to be a priority IMO, like Telstra and the premiership. Winfield hung around for 15 years before it was legally turfed out as the naming rights sponsor. It's what's for the good of the game, and teams signing sponsors who clearly don't have the legs or a visible name, or the proper money to support it, don't deserve the contract. I love this game but clubs that continue to show poor business nous will flounder. FGS, Newcastle took almost 2 months to find a sponsor! They almost went financially kaput!

Yeh true I see your point, but in todays game and world I think its just too hard to get long term sponsers unless your a successful club or well known like broncos dragons dogs roosters. You can see that in the teams as well that get new sponsers, this year knights had no one till later in the season, souths are continually getting new sponsers, and tigers in the ast few years were constantly recycling jerseys. I too would much rather see a team get a long term sponsership but its just too hard for some clubs

TUFF TITAN

Juniors
which one will it be ;()

1185_23x02x200540627PM.jpg

choc_soldier

Coach
Moffo said:
great insurance company? Can't use those words together!

But realistically, they aren't what you'd call a high profile company

But they could increase their profile by aligning themselves with the Bunnies, whom itself is is quite a powerful brand in Australian sport. Makes good marketing sense.

Moffo, clearly you're 17 years old with no idea how the real world works. You're reasoning is wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

Just briefly, you had a go at Coal and Allied... connected to a mob called Rio Tinto... ever heard of them? It's Newcastle's biggest sponsorship deal in their ENTIRE CLUB HISTORY! Something like $8-900,000 a season. Not to mention it's a great tie to the local area as wellm basically making it the perfect sponsor for Newcastle in all regards (financial and community).

Clubs MUST take the biggest offer they can get! Most clubs just scrape by from year to year. If they knocked back 200-500,000 a year just so they can have 'prestigeous' backers (that little-moffo has heard of) they'd be gone.

I could get right into this but there's no point, you're clearly a bigger fool than I orginally thought and I'd be wasting my time.

Moffo

Referee
Man_of_Steel_1982 said:
Moffo, clearly you're 17 years old with no idea how the real world works. You're reasoning is wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

Just briefly, you had a go at Coal and Allied... connected to a mob called Rio Tinto... ever heard of them? It's Newcastle's biggest sponsorship deal in their ENTIRE CLUB HISTORY! Something like $8-900,000 a season. Not to mention it's a great tie to the local area as wellm basically making it the perfect sponsor for Newcastle in all regards (financial and community).

Clubs MUST take the biggest offer they can get! Most clubs just scrape by from year to year. If they knocked back 200-500,000 a year just so they can have 'prestigeous' backers (that little-moffo has heard of) they'd be gone.

I could get right into this but there's no point, you're clearly a bigger fool than I orginally thought and I'd be wasting my time.

I'm not here to play internet insults so first of all, i think you should take some of your own advice and grow up. You come across as the 17 year old with your post above.

That aside, you have also missed my point. For starters, I have heard some very interesting things about the Coal and Allied sponsorship. Newcastle went without a sponsor for what....most of the year?? Anyways if I say anything more I'll get the site into trouble

I've never doubted that clubs should take the biggest offer they can get. You have joined the list of people who are misunderstanding what I'm saying. Bigger companies are in a better position to offer more.

Anyways, I don't expect you to understand what I'm saying so i'd say i'm the one wasting my time here

Moffo

Referee
parra_panther said:
But they could increase their profile by aligning themselves with the Bunnies, whom itself is is quite a powerful brand in Australian sport. Makes good marketing sense.

Most definitely does for the company and good on em if they get in. Its more a reflection on Souths, not the company itself

gaterooze

Bench
dodge said:
If he thinks that an organisation won't look at the prestige and profile of the company wanting to sponsor them, or at least attempt to seek out one with a relatively high profile - then he is delusional.

Wrong. Sponsorship is for the benefit of the sponsor, that is why they pay for it. The only benefit the club receieves is financial.

It makes absolutely zero difference to the club whether it has Sony or Don's Small Goods displayed -- their money is just as good. The only exception is if the sponsor is of bad character in which case it wouldn't even be considered.

I fully understand Moffo's original point and in some ways agree with it, but it's just not the way it works in practice.

Moffo

Referee
ParraDude_Jay said:
:lol:

Moffo, you're a dumbass, what a pointless and stupid topic, started by a tool with nothing to back up what he says :lol:.

:lol:, once again, i'm not here to play internet insult games. That said, i think your mum should take away your internet access as you are clearly wasting her money

Iafeta

Referee
Moffo, moffo, moffo. You must have drunk a gallon of Jack Daniels' finest before posting that.

It comes down to whomever bids highest for the spots - whether it be Best & Less, Bonds Jockeys, FHM, Johns Dildos and Nipple Pumps or Shell. Thats reality.

Moffo

Referee
Te Kaha said:
Moffo has penis envy.. that is all it is.... he "sees" the AFL clubs with big name sponsors and then thinks NRL clubs should have even bigger sponsors so he can say to all the AFL fans..."ours are better than yours"...

In the end as long as the money is there to keep the clubs and therefore the game moving forward, who really cares who sponsors them?....only Moffo it seems.

Te Kaha, lets take that back a step

What would you think if Chelsea were sponsored by Chelsea Spare Tyres or if the New York Yankees were sponsored by Manhattan Burgers. Would it be a good corporate look?

To be honest, I think you are a bit of your depth. I think you are missing the context of this discussion

Moffo

Referee
gaterooze said:
That logic may seem like common sense, but in business practice is doesn't work that way.

A 10bn company will be well-established and has less need for promotion than a smaller upstart trying to penetrate a market and looking for maximum visibility.

The bigger company is not willing to pay as much as the smaller company, because they will get less value out of the promotion.

Everything in commerce is "costed" -- Coca Cola may value the promotion of a jersey sponsorship at $600k and be willing to pay that much, but to Mortgage House that same "product" may be worth $800k.

That's how it works. And a club is not going to knock back an extra 200 grand for a bit of "prestige."

lol gaterooze

A company that makes $1m dollars a year may allocate 20k to marketing and promotion

How much do you think a $1bn company will allocate to it? Come on Gater, think about it. Come on Gater, think about it. I've worked in that $1m dollar company and i currently work in one that makes several billion a year. So I've seen the differences

Your comment about promotion is a massive assumption and not really relevant to the argument

Moffo

Referee
El Diablo said:
I've got nothing? lol

you two are the dickheads saying these big companies will pay more but can't provide figures backing it up

Look El, you seem angry. Perhaps you should turn the computer off for a few hours and have a sleep

In the mean time though, take a read of this

http://www.theage.com.au/news/business/afl-the-sport-of-kings-for-sponsorship-value/2005/09/06/1125772522144.html?from=moreStories

Now tell me, how many AFL clubs have major sponsors that are dicky?

You are missing the context of my argument. I thought you were a bit more clever than that to be honest, apparently not

Moffo

Referee
Iafeta said:
Moffo, moffo, moffo. You must have drunk a gallon of Jack Daniels' finest before posting that.

It comes down to whomever bids highest for the spots - whether it be Best & Less, Bonds Jockeys, FHM, Johns Dildos and Nipple Pumps or Shell. Thats reality.

Iafeta, never argued that. All im saying is that NRL clubs in general would be able to get more out of targeting the bigger companies. That combined with the 'image' benefits of being associated with these companies make it a very attractive carrot to reach for

Some NRL clubs have caught on, others havent

gaterooze

Bench
Moffo said:
A company that makes $1m dollars a year may allocate 20k to marketing and promotion

How much do you think a $1bn company will allocate to it? Come on Gater, think about it. Come on Gater, think about it. I've worked in that $1m dollar company and i currently work in one that makes several billion a year.

And which do you think would gain more benefit from sponsoring a League jersey?

There's your answer. The company who gains more will value it higher, and will pay more. Corporates put a value on everything -- it's a simple economic calculation, nothing more.

Now, that's the reality from the corporate point of view. From the club's POV... I agree with eagle_eye -- I personally would much rather have Coal & Allied sponsoring the Knights than, say, Microsoft.

On the other hand, I hated Herbal World sponsoring the Tigers because the colours clashed. But I liked Wokka noodles on their sleeve because I like Wokka noodles :)

Horses for courses.

Latest posts