What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When Losing Hurts

Would you rather your team make a GF and lose it, or get knocked out in a semi-final?

• A Grand Final loss

Votes: 53 57.6%
  • Get knocked out in a semi final

Votes: 39 42.4%

• Total voters

Brad Joyce

Juniors
As a fan, would you rather your team make the Grand Final and lose it, or get knocked out in a semi-final, and not have to suffer the pain of Grand Final defeat?

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Brad Joyce said:
As a fan, would you rather your team make the Grand Final and lose it, or get knocked out in a semi-final, and not have to suffer the pain of Grand Final defeat?

I can't remember the feeling of either, so I am simply happy when we win a normal game. :crazy:

Cheers

Dani

Immortal
The way i felt when the siren sounded in last years grand final is a feeling i never want to experience again.

Brad Joyce said:

Surely to the latter would make the person a defeatist. :shock: Unheard of.

Might aswell be a rugby union fan:crazy:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I voted for losing a GF, because I know damn well that it hurt more in 2002 than 2003 and I was at both matches.

Having you team turn to sh*t and end up close to the spoon the following year hurt more than either though....

Burwood

Bench
I'd much rather lose in the Grand Final. There is nothing worse than getting knocked out one week earlier and seeing the team that beat you put in a poor performance or never looking like winning in the Grand Final. The 2000 season is a perfect example of this feeling for Newcastle supporters.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
In 2002 the Warriors lost in the GF and then in 2003 they lost in the semi and I felt worse after the semi against the Panthers. I was so happy the boys just made the GF and despite the loss the game was a contest for most of the match (Stacey Jones try still the highlight for any Warriors fan). I'd take a gf loss any day over a simple play off loss.

I imagine it would be a bit different for Melbourne fans seeing as they were the best team all year and were on the wrong end of some pretty tough calls. At least the 2002 Warriors can say they gave it everything but just got beaten by a better team on the day which makes it a lot easier to take and be satisfied with what the team achieved rather than what they didn't.

simon says

First Grade
Yeah...making to the GF is a lot of fun......losing hurts,but it would still be a great year supporting your club to have gone so well.

Choppies

Coach
For me every loss hurts. Thank god for my good friend Mr Tooheys.
But I would rather lose a Grand Final than in the finals.

Nuke

Staff member
Only ever having supported Newcastle, I don't know first-hand what it's like to support a team that loses a Grand Final ... but I can only imagine it's painful.

Personally, I would prefer my team to lose a semi-final than a Grand Final.

That being said, the overwhelming joy at winning a Grand Final is like nothing else, so you have to live on the edge sometimes ... to win a Grand Final, you have to come as close as 80mins away from losing one.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
I think that it's stupid to say that you'd rather have your team lose in the SF than in the GF. I personally don't know the pain of losing the GF, but wouldn't you rather say that your team came 2nd to the GF winner's rather than 4th?

Charlie124

First Grade
I voted for GF loser.

It hurt to lose to the Tigers in '05 but nowhere near as much as losing the semi to the Roosters in '04 in very controversial circumstances

Garts

Bench
Lose the GF

At least you get to experience the happiness of winning the SF and knowing you are in the big one.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Garts said:
Lose the GF

At least you get to experience the happiness of winning the SF and knowing you are in the big one.

Totally agree. 1994 and 1998 the Dogs got outclassed, but both times I was at the edge of my seat willing the boys to dig deeper. Even if they lose, at least you know you were one of the best 2 teams of the year.

And in 1998 because we lost to the Broncos, we got to walk out of the stadium singing "We're the best in NSW, do dah, do dah". Always got to look at the bright side of things, though it did help that I had sunk at least 12 beers during the games at the stadium.

t-ba

Post Whore
Garts said:

Agreed.

1995 Sucked. Balls. Complete and utter. balls.

But I can't imagine I would have enjoyed watching my team lose 5 grand final Qualifying matches over 4 years in the 1990's like Bears fans...That would have been worse than losing to a seventh tackle try and Lamb pass that went about 100 metres forward.

The Preacher

First Grade
Getting beaten in Grand Finals is the worst feeling in the world. Much worse than going out in the semis, and I should know as we've been doing both quite a bit since '79. :(