What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"When Souths are going well, rugby league is going well"

natheel

Coach
Pretty sure if souths win it then I'm pretty sure it'll be massive. So many old fans will jump out of the woodwork etc

I'd like to see cronulla win imagine how big it would be

Lucky Roy

Juniors
Can anyone actually point to someone from Souths (the club that is, not forum nuffies) actually saying this? As in, ever?

Galeforce

Bench
these sayings were NOT started by Souths supporters nor club officials.
They have and continue to be uttered by media from time to time due to a rich history.
Souths supporters do not dispute them and have fun responding to those who try to argue against them.

LRC69

Juniors
I think when Parra are doing well then rugby league is doing well.
Not a fan at all ... but strategically this is the heart of it all, encompassing the old working class suburbs in the area and the newer middle class hills district where so many of the kids who grew up in the old areas now live.
Its also the area where the AFL are targeting most.
When the eels do well then TV ratings boom..they have by far the biggest fan base specific to a geographic location in Sydney and beyond.
And crowds swell. (when interest rates are low)

BigRedV

Juniors
Not a fan at all ... but strategically this is the heart of it all, encompassing the old working class suburbs in the area and the newer middle class hills district where so many of the kids who grew up in the old areas now live.
When the eels do well then TV ratings boom..they have by far the biggest fan base specific to a geographic location in Sydney and beyond.

Yeah, cause Belmore and Kograh and Campbelltown and Penrith are all affluent high class latte sipping social hubs. Gimme a break.

Parra and it's diminishing fan base have very little to contribute these days in terms of success of the league.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Are you an idiot? They've finished 15th and 16th the last 2 years and we more than doubled our tv rights deal.

LRC69

Juniors
Yeah, cause Belmore and Kograh and Campbelltown and Penrith are all affluent high class latte sipping social hubs. Gimme a break.

Parra and it's diminishing fan base have very little to contribute these days in terms of success of the league.

Comprehension is obviously not your strong point.

I know if I owned TV station which teams I would want going well from a marketing and advertisement point of view.

If souths stopped existing tomorrow the game would not miss a heart beat as it didnt when they were not in the comp.(same as my team )

If parra were not to exist tomorrow...that leaves that whole area form silverwater to rooty hills and from Canley vale to Baulkham hills vacant.. This is where the AFL are targeting ...this is where the "aspirational" types reside who would rather their little Johnny play the trend game of AFL because they have never met a Collingwood supporter.

And Bunniesman ... it doesnt matter what the TV deal is...it should have been double the last deal except for a muppet running the show... if parra were not in the comp I reckon it mightn't be worth as much...if souths werent in the comp it wouldnt make a difference.
And dont worry...my team is even less valuable than yours.

Strategically the league would love the eels/dog/dragons/tigers in the finals ahead of any other sydney team... souths would probably be the 5th choice.. add the storm/broncos and knights to this and you have every TV market covered in league heartland (Except Melbourne ..but they do add to ratings for the GF)

BranVan3000

Coach
Comprehension is obviously not your strong point.

I know if I owned TV station which teams I would want going well from a marketing and advertisement point of view.

If souths stopped existing tomorrow the game would not miss a heart beat as it didnt when they were not in the comp.(same as my team )

If parra were not to exist tomorrow...that leaves that whole area form silverwater to rooty hills and from Canley vale to Baulkham hills vacant.. This is where the AFL are targeting ...this is where the "aspirational" types reside who would rather their little Johnny play the trend game of AFL because they have never met a Collingwood supporter.

And Bunniesman ... it doesnt matter what the TV deal is...it should have been double the last deal except for a muppet running the show... if parra were not in the comp I reckon it mightn't be worth as much...if souths werent in the comp it wouldnt make a difference.
And dont worry...my team is even less valuable than yours.

Strategically the league would love the eels/dog/dragons/tigers in the finals ahead of any other sydney team... souths would probably be the 5th choice.. add the storm/broncos and knights to this and you have every TV market covered in league heartland (Except Melbourne ..but they do add to ratings for the GF)
Didn't miss a beat? 100,000 people marched for a reason

I believe the NRL said earlier in the year that Souths Brisbane would be their first choice for a finals in terms of ratings, they both rate the highest.

Souths area is the whole South East of Sydney minus everything east of Randwick. Which obviously belongs to East. It is the heartland of Sydney and one of the areas where the game was born in Australia. It's the reason AFL targeted it first. Surrendering that area would be a laugh. Saying its not important? You must be joking

I agree with what you are saying about Parra though

Bananabender

Juniors
Look at all the supporters who have come out of the woodwork this year for South Sydney. It's true ..so true..if Souths are doing well, the other teams look like crap.

LRC69

Juniors
Hard to disagree that Souths making the GF would be huge because they've done bugger all for so long..you'de expect every one to come back out and the general story itself would be a good story.

It would be massive this year or next or when they finally do something useful. Same with Cronulla.

But if they didnt exist tomorrow again..the game would move on...losing parra would be a huge hole to fill!

But that would be the same for a few Sydney teams .. this comment and my post purely relate to the comment in the subject of this thread.

Which really should be that if Parra are doing well, league is doing well...

And I do realise Souths themselves never came up with that comment.

Its actually been a shit comp cause the Saints havent been travelling well, the euphoria around the 2010 grand final win wont be replicated anytime soon when another club wins it. Saints by far create the biggest and best atmosphere at grand finals....with pure red n white crowd domination.

Lol.

Souths, Dogs, Tigers, Parra would all create a similar or better atmosphere than the Dragons IMO.

You, my friend, are delusional.

M2D2

Bench
Hes a dragons fan. 2010 doesnt even hold a candle to 2005 and i LIVE in the St George District.

kbw

Bench
When $ouff$ are doing well, crowds are down , TV audiences are down.
More people than ever are disappointed with the NRL

papabear

Juniors
I tend to think it goes parra 1, st George 2, problem with st George is they need to figure out what they are doing week to week.

then theres a bit of a drop off
with souths, dogs and tigers

then theres the nuffty teams.

Latest posts