What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where should the next team be located

Where should next nrl team be located

• Central Coast

Votes: 54 32.0%
  • Darwin

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Perth

Votes: 55 32.5%
  • Freemantle

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Hobart

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Wellington

Votes: 27 16.0%

• Total voters

Misanthrope

Staff member
CENTRAL COAST
Pros: Great stadium, solid junior depth, interest in the game
Cons: Can't get a decent crowd to trials or regular NRL games

ADELAIDE
Pros: Showed interest in the game they had, solid crowds in their last NRL run, more sympathetic to league than Melbourne
Cons: AFL city

PERTH
Pros: Still largely 'untainted' despite a Super 14 and AFL franchise, good crowds in last run, third strongest league playing state in the country
Cons: Travel expenses, competition with Super 14 and AFL

FREEMANTLE
Pros: ??
Cons: It's Freemantle

HOBART
Pros: Unclaimed by any major sporting code
Cons: Small population, close to AFL strongholds

WELLINGTON
Pros: Decent crowds, second New Zealand side
Cons: Rugby Union area

DARWIN
Pros: Solid interest in the region, unclaimed by major sporting codes
Cons: Low population, travel expenses

For mine I'd like to see Perth or Adelaide in next, Central Coast can have a relocated Sydney side. In the long run, if the game continues to grow as it has - I'd also like to see Wellington and possibly Darwin/Hobart eventually get a run. That'd be a truly national competition.

LESStar58

Referee
Adelaide is a long way off considering the crowd at hindmarsh on saturday...

Pert next then the Central Coast. Put the Bears there. They got shafted despite their loyalty...they need a presence imo.

Beaches Boy

Juniors
Central Coast had their chance, Perth were very unluck to lose the Reds, they deserve a team. Perth Sharks all the way...... Go West

Perth Red

Post Whore
In my biased opinion, Perth!

3rd strongest RL state, can still draw a crowd, strong corporate presence, soon to get a redeveloped 27,000 stadium, growing population, great city to live making it easier to tempt players to relocate here.

Razor

Coach
Darwin, ... and there is no team based in the Northern Terrirtory.

The reason is that there is no people and no money. The team wouldn't survive. Same reason as why there is no AFL team in Hobart

Knightmare

Coach
Beaches Boy said:
Central Coast had their chance, Perth were very unluck to lose the Reds, they deserve a team. Perth Sharks all the way...... Go West

What chance? The Northern Eagles were nothing more than Manly waiting until they were strong enough to go it alone once more. A return to Brookvale full-time was always on the cards.

They should be working towards a world comp as the first code that does will reap the benefits of such a positive move.

If it was upto me the following would occur

Souths relocated to Perth - Perth Rabbitohs
Cronulla relocated to Adelaide- Adelaide Sharks
Wests Tigers relocated to Hobart - Hobart Tigers
Manly relocated to Darwin - Darwin Sea Eagles
Canterbury relocated to Macarthur(Campbelltown) - Macarthur Bulldogs

Merge Parramatta and Penrith- Parramatta Panthers

Bring in Central Coast- Central Coast Bears

16 team comp with teams in all capital cities.

Humphrey

Juniors
Any one that votes Wellington just wants some other club to take the prospective wooden spoon mantle away from the Warriors
We are currently proving over here that we havent got the talent to field one NRL side let alone two.
If it goes to Wellington we'd need an Aussie coach cos no one heres standing out and wed need a depth of your Aussie players especially in the halves area

rugged

Juniors
marshall stalin said:
They should be working towards a world comp as the first code that does will reap the benefits of such a positive move.

If it was upto me the following would occur

Souths relocated to Perth - Perth Rabbitohs
Cronulla relocated to Adelaide- Adelaide Sharks
Wests Tigers relocated to Hobart - Hobart Tigers
Manly relocated to Darwin - Darwin Sea Eagles
Canterbury relocated to Macarthur(Campbelltown) - Macarthur Bulldogs

Merge Parramatta and Penrith- Parramatta Panthers

Bring in Central Coast- Central Coast Bears

16 team comp with teams in all capital cities.

Funniest thing I've read in a long time.

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
Forget about the Central Coast. Another NSW team should be pushed right into the background, especially since recently some have either failed or merged:

Souths (now back in)
Norths
Wests and Balmain
Illawarra and St George

Perth would be a good option to come in next. Even though they have the Western Force, the public has embraced them and shown support, even though they've not won a game. They can be called the Perth Puppets

NZ and QLD should get a look in for more sides. QLD depends on how much pressure the Gold Coast puts on the local area.

Then I think Broome is deserving of a side. Rugby League has ignored this region for far too long. The Broome Brooms should be in the NRL by 2015.

the kirwan kid

Juniors
milton said:
where should the next nrl team be located

Definitely not perth in the short term ... we've missed that boat. I hate aussie rules but I have to give it to them when it comes to marketing their game. They stick it out and reap the rewards. Rah Rah is in WA now and that's enough "rugby" (as the refer to both codes) in that AFL stronghold for now. The corporate dollar won't be there for it.

Personally I think we need to weed out some teams from Sydney and make them move to another region. After all Brisbane is a league stronghold and we only have 3 teams in that area.

The SE QLD area has 3 teams, NQ 1, Vic 1 and the rest are all basically within 1 or 2 hrs from Sydney.

If we could find the corporate dollar then my ideal geographical line-up in 10 years from now would be:
1. Brisbane
2. Gold Coast
3. North Queensland
4. NSW Central Coast (possibly even further up towards the north coast)
5. Newcastle
6. Melbourne
7. Wollongong/South Coast
8. Central QLD (Mackay or Rockhampton)
9. New Zealand
10. Adelaide (lots of military and migrants from rugby union nations)
11. Perth (as above)
12-16. 5 x Sydney Teams

I'd love to see a team from PNG but there's no way the NRL could make it an attrcative place for players to live and take families. Plus there's no $$ to be earnt up there.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
5 teams in Sydney? What east, west, north, south and central. Bring that in and watch league die, without a strong Sydney we can kiss goodbye large TV contracts and the big corporate dollar it brings. You're idea may look good on paper but without a link to the traditional links of the game we have nothing but a souless franchise sport, which is what SL tried to do and turned people away. We need to find a balance between our traditional Sydney clubs and growth, Sydney is the bedrock of our sport weaken it and watch it crumble.

HannahMc

Juniors
I'd like to see it in Darwin, myself. The population there might not be as great as that of other cities, but as it really doesn't face any threat from other major sports, the population would likely concentrate itself on supporting such a team, allowing it success despite it's lower population. Plus, the travel wouldn't be quite as terrible as adding another team in Perth, for example.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Humphrey said:
Any one that votes Wellington just wants some other club to take the prospective wooden spoon mantle away from the Warriors
We are currently proving over here that we havent got the talent to field one NRL side let alone two.
If it goes to Wellington we'd need an Aussie coach cos no one heres standing out and wed need a depth of your Aussie players especially in the halves area

What absolute bollocks. NZ easily has the talent to field a premiership winning team, our problem is the Warriors are sh*thouse at developing and retaining that talent. Look at the Kiwis, look at the ESL, look at almost every other NRL side, there's a wealth of top tier players from NZ. Unfortunately for us Warriors fans our club has consistently failed to harness that talent for all but 3 seasons of it's existence.

nqboy

First Grade
SpaceMonkey said:
What absolute bollocks. NZ easily has the talent to field a premiership winning team, our problem is the Warriors are sh*thouse at developing and retaining that talent. Look at the Kiwis, look at the ESL, look at almost every other NRL side, there's a wealth of top tier players from NZ. Unfortunately for us Warriors fans our club has consistently failed to harness that talent for all but 3 seasons of it's existence.
Exactly. It's good to see a club's own fans put the blame where it lies.

Humphrey

Juniors
SpaceMonkey said:

So whys a different NZ franchise going to be any better? Wheres the money going to come from to harness and develop the talent? Theres no sponsorship dollar here for the game of league

I do look at the Kiwis mate and I see every non Warrior Kiwi has developed a special something from being in an NRL or ESL Club with a balance of different players and coaches that go the hard yards to get to the top. Dont just rate the ex NZ players because there BORN on these shores mate as that would be pure jingoism. Give some credit to the other clubs and a avariety of Flegg and Premier and First grade O/S coaches need to get the accolades for how these players have nurtured and grown there raw talent and for getting the ambition and drive. Steve Matai for example was full of talent but dedication and commitment and a better tackling style he got from Desi Hasler not from his passport