What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who hates Wagon?

Redback71

First Grade
apart from runing out and then missing that bloody tackle on bowen, his one of the best defenders we have.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Leasa said:
Sorry it took me so long to comment I am just shocked that once again Wagon is getting picked on!! yes I have rose coloured or maybe that is wagoncoloured glasses on most of the time ccause i am his biggest fan and yes he ran up off the line against the cowgirls but he has done that before and saved tries and this one time it didn’t come off!!
He has shown a hell of a lot of loyalty to the club and always puts in his best effort, esp defensively. Don’t forget the nearly every game we lost last year was when Wags wasn’t playing…….interesting!!! I know I feel better when I know he is playing and not just cause I like to perve on him!!
Sick of hearing the bagging of him so why don’t you go bag him out to his face and see how it goes,

OK I'll bite (you obviously weren't serious... were you?).

You have the credibility of BBSF when talking about Daniel Wagon. You're implying we weren't winning games because Wagon wasn't playing? :lol:

Wagon can't defend, is absolutely no threat to the opposition in attack, is dominated in every tackle, can't pass, can't kick and I don't know where people get this hard worker crap from. When he makes 35-40 tackles (which isn't often anymore) he ends up on about 5 hitups for 20 metres, and if he only makes 20 tackles in a match then you could add another 2 hitups and 7 more metres to those totals.

The bloke offers nothing to the team on the field, anyone defending him and saying he should be in first grade (or worse, is one of our best players) obviously doesn't care about winning. Mateo, Delaney, Robinson and Perenara are all younger and far more talented locks than Wagon, and that's the truth.

However I agree that hate is very harsh, I don't like him much though.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That was harsh, man.

Everyone has their favourite player - Andrew KcFadden and Ben Kusto being mine, for instance.

Clarkieel

Juniors
I never said we lost those games because Wags wasnt playing just meant that he certainly isnt the reason we lost the games. We must be watching different games if you dont think wagon does any work on the field. and to say I am as bad as BBSF well u can go ....yourself, I always said Wags is my fav player and I joke around but bloody hell I know my footy esp my eels

Eelementary

Post Whore
Leasa said:
I never said we lost those games because Wags wasnt playing just meant that he certainly isnt the reason we lost the games. We must be watching different games if you dont think wagon does any work on the field. and to say I am as bad as BBSF well u can go ....yourself, I always said Wags is my fav player and I joke around but bloody hell I know my footy esp my eels

Well said!

It's like the people bagging Ben Justo. No idea...

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Leasa said:
I never said we lost those games because Wags wasnt playing just meant that he certainly isnt the reason we lost the games.

This is too easy :lol:

For starters, I never said you said that we lost because Wagon wasn't playing (in fact I made sure not to say that because your comebacks are quite predictable). What I said was you hinted at that, and unless you edit your post it's right there for people to read.

Leasa said:
We must be watching different games if you dont think wagon does any work on the field.

You must be watching a different game, because guess what, the stats back up what I've said. I suggest you put away the 2001 tapes and start watching the 2005 ones, because that's the only reason you could use to justify Wagon being a "hard worker".

Leasa said:
and to say I am as bad as BBSF well u can go ....yourself

Wow that's nice, resorting to cheap insults? I said your credibility when talking about Wagon is that of BBSF (when talking about Covell), and that's true. BBSF talks up a bad player in Covell up as a world beater, and if you changed the name BBSF to your name, and Covell to Wagon that works perfectly as a description for you.

Leasa said:
I always said Wags is my fav player and I joke around but bloody hell I know my footy esp my eels

I have no doubt you know your Eels, but you can't look at them objectively, especially not Wagon. Wagon's way past it, he is a weak defender who NOBODY fears, his attack is also very weak (both in workrate and effectiveness), he goes missing when the going gets tough and for the past 3 years has been nothing for the team on the field.

You may know your Eels, but obviously you don't want them to win. You seem to rather that all the old buddies are playing together and they have a good time and that the result doesn't matter. That might be nice for under 10's, but not in the NRL. If someone isn't doing their job, you get rid of them, regardless of who they are friends with or how long they've been there.

bartman

Immortal
Wasn't a fan of Wags at five-eighth, but he filled the gap there when we didn't have anyone else (John Morris) ready to play there. Wasn't a fan of Wags in the centres either, but he filled the gap there until we had someone else (Ben Smith) ready to play there. I see a pattern forming... which shows Wagon's value to this squad.

I think his best use is at lock, with solid reliable defence workrate amongst the forwards. I haven't seen anyone else show they are ready to do that in that position. His attack isn't usually gamebreaking, but we have other players to do that. I felt Robinson was a bit inconsistent last season to lay claim to a regular starting 13 spot just yet, and Widders is dynamite in his role off the bench, so why change it? Mateo - the jury is still out. O'Dwyer - at a pinch but not week to week.

If/when a junior or other player develops to the point where they are a better attacking and defending option than Wagon, then I'd love to see them wearing the first grade 13, and for Wags to move to fill yet another gap... like using his experience developing others by captaining Premier League?

But until there's another name in the club that sits easily in 13 alongside 11. Hindmarsh and 12. Morrison - and can cover their workload when either is absent - then Wags is still your man.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Daniel will always be a legend in my book, he's given the club tremedous service over the years whether as a captain, winger, five-eight and off the field he's been an absloute champion, but fare to say he'd be under a great deal of preasure this year to hold his spot but whatever the case he'll do his best, as Daniel always does.

Hellsy

Immortal
eelavation said:
Daniel will always be a legend in my book, he's given the club tremedous service over the years whether as a captain, winger, five-eight and off the field he's been an absloute champion, but fare to say he'd be under a great deal of preasure this year to hold his spot but whatever the case he'll do his best, as Daniel always does.
Here Here Eela :clap:

surfsup

Juniors
i don't like daniel wagon. he is one of our worst players and cost us the game against the cowboys last year and for that i will never forgive him.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
well most of us see the little things he does each and every week and know that without him in the team, we probably wouldn't have made it that far!

surfsup said:
i don't like daniel wagon. he is one of our worst players and cost us the game against the cowboys last year and for that i will never forgive him.

Good to see you shoot from the hip Surfsup. Say it as you see it!!

(You wont win any friends in here, being against the grain though - let me tell you.:) )

Clarkieel

Juniors
lol yes he stuffed up against the cowboys but to blame the whole loss on him?? i dont think so most of the team was to blame

surfsup

Juniors
he was the one who got us on the backfoot and rugby league is a game of momentum, especially with the style the eels employ. remember, we are talking about someone who trouble passing the ball

Wags certainly isnt the most classiest player, but I like him.
And for some of you to say he is a sh*t defender, well in my opinion he's one of our best.
Some people only seem to remember back to our last game. Yes he f*cked up, yes he may have got us on the backfoot, but I think the rest of Daniel's team mates helped him in doing a pretty good job of losing us that game.
During the few games he was injured last season, I noticed how much we missed his defence.
Go Wags in 2006!

That is all.

Hellsy

Immortal
Well said QHF!!!

You could also say that 'had Eric have caught that ball' the game would have turned as well..............
There are too many 'ifs' and 'buts' in this arguement.
No single player was to blame for the Teams meltdown against the Cowbies

Parra Guru

Coach
queanbeyhole hindy fan said:
Wags certainly isnt the most classiest player, but I like him.
And for some of you to say he is a sh*t defender, well in my opinion he's one of our best.
Some people only seem to remember back to our last game. Yes he f*cked up, yes he may have got us on the backfoot, but I think the rest of Daniel's team mates helped him in doing a pretty good job of losing us that game.
During the few games he was injured last season, I noticed how much we missed his defence.
Go Wags in 2006!

That is all.

I'm not a Wagoner myself, but I don't think anyone was to blame for the Cowboys game. None of them turned up to play that day. Simple as that.

I hope every conversation doesn't turn into an arguement about that Cowboys game, because the game doesn't reflect all of the good things about 2005, and for once I didn't know how to feel after it.

In other years it has been like, OK, they stuffed it, but this time it's different. It's just left you wondering why it happened again, not who to blame for it!!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Agreed. Rugby League is a game of momentum.

Why, then, doesn't anybody refer to Gur dropping that kick? It wasn't Timmy's best, but I've seen the replay countless times - and 9 times out of 10, Guru would have caught that ball and scored.

That was in the first 10 minutes of the match - talk about momentum. That would have calmed our nerves and given us the momentum necessary to finish off the job.

So Wagon, or Smith/Grothe? Who cost us the match?

Hmm...

In my view, there was only a small handful of players (Riddell, Grothe, Vella, Burt and Tahu) that were good. The rest were woeful.

But alas that was last year.

It's time to kick arses and take names in 2006.

Parra Guru said:
I'm not a Wagoner myself, but I don't think anyone was to blame for the Cowboys game. None of them turned up to play that day. Simple as that.

I hope every conversation doesn't turn into an arguement about that Cowboys game, because the game doesn't reflect all of the good things about 2005, and for once I didn't know how to feel after it.

In other years it has been like, OK, they stuffed it, but this time it's different. It's just left you wondering why it happened again, not who to blame for it!!

Yup, Exactly right.
I was just saying that nobody can base their "wags is crap" claims on his game against the cowboys. I wasn't laying the blame on anyone.

But that game is over now, It's in the past, the 2006 season is what? about 7 weeks away. Bring it on! :D