What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should be the new team ?

Gold Coast
Central Coast
Perth
Wellington

and why ?

I think the way they are in order would be the way to go if the league is thinking of expanding past 16 teams, In my books I would have the CC in first as they have all the infastucture in place

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
A why was asked for mate.

You GC loons never seem to be able to give the reasons for, just the reasons why CC should not...

Stranger

Coach
I wont give reasons why ill give reasons why not
Gold Coast - My pick
Central Coast - Cant hold a crowd on a regular basis. Sure plent of money but the support from public wont be there.
Perth - Simply will cost the team to much. Maby in 4-5 years although IMO are a long way infront of CC and Wellington. Still need to prove with a few more NRL matches that they can sustain an acceptable crowd.
Wellington - Gee The warroirs are having great crowds... And the matches in Wellington have had dismal crowds aswell.

MayMoo

Juniors
It should be the Central Coast; As you pointed out the infrastructure is in place. It is Rugby League Heartland, The area is also screaming out for this, and the CC deserves this.

Also, to quote David Gallop:

"It would heal the last wound by bringing back the only foundation club which completely missed out in the rationalisation process," &
"It would also reconnect the code with the affluent north shore."

Southernsaint

Staff member
Ideally I'd invite both the Central & Gold Coasts...

But if I had to chose one for now, it'd be the Central Coast - they've got a stadium built (unlike the GC), John Singleton has promised financial backing, there's a strong junior base & Norths were a foundation club who were planning to move there anyway, giving a ready-built fan-base...

DIEHARD

----
GOLD COAST.

Queensland is home of 40% of all registered rugby league players in Australia, yet only represented by 2 NRL clubs.

Has a rich history and tradition of rugby league stretching back to 1907 just as long and as relevant as the NSW competition.

State of Origin is the jewel of rugby league, yet its success is based on the competitiveness of the Queensland side. With only 2 QLD based teams to draw resources from pitted against 10 from NSW how long can the men of Queensland fight above their weight? How well would NSW play with just two clubs.

The Brisbane Broncos should not be the sole representative of rugby league in SEQLD, the fastest growing region in Australia comprising Brisbane, Redcliffe, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba, Ipswich and many other regions, which would probably all receive NRL franchises if they were based in NSW.

What team are traditionalist fans supposed to rally behind? Fans who supported the ARL, got their teams shut down (Chargers and Crushers) or supported the Brisbane comp or QLD CUP all their life? There is no other option in Southern Queensland, only one NEWS LTD team, the Broncos the heart and soul of the Super League conflict. And we are left with two News Ltd teams covering the entire state, we deserve better.

Queensland is the state every other code wants to conquer, yet we leave the door wide open. The Brisbane Lions and the AFL are pushing massively into Queensland and the best way to combat them is to bring in a rival NRL team.

Queenslanders shouldn't have to be forced to move interstate or overseas to play football. Queenslanders should be able to play footy in Queensland in front of Queenslanders. It should be a birth right. 32 first grade positions aren't enough. Look at the class of players that have to relocate and then think that if 40 % of all RL players are in QLD, where are the rest?

The Gold Coast is the next obvious target for AFL expansion. They have about three clubs on deathrow. And the AFL are fully willing to make the decision to relocate them and then fully support them financially.

The Gold Coast is Australia's 6th largest city and Australia's tourism capital.

The Gold Coast's last team was shut down as a sacrifical lamb in the peace process. They were the only RL club to make a profit during Super League.

The Queensland government is fully behind the new franchise and will fund the new stadium entirely and support them any other way neccessary. A new team on the Gold Coast would give path ways to local juniors in SEQLD, add more troops for State of Origin, create tribalism in Queensland between the Broncos and Cowboys, create a real local derby that is a quaranteed sell out twice a year at Lang Park, create media interest and take valuable column inches in newspapers away from union and AFL and much more.

Queensland is the 2nd largest rugby league stronghold in the world. Not providing it with adequate service and leaving it open for assault from rival codes is extreme stupidity.

There are thousands upon thousands of southern Queenslanders who hate the Broncos and have no NRL team to follow. They only can passionately follow Queensland footy during the Origin. It is time to capitalise on this hatred of the Broncos and use it to our advantage and create one of the most potent rivalries in rugby league history.

Time to make the National Rugby League really relevant to Queenslanders. Our local derby is against the Cowboys but Newcastle is actually closer.

The Gold Coast have the money in the bank, the potentional sponsors such as Heniken, Adidas and OzEmail, have the funding from the government to make a new stadium, have one of the countries best rugby league areas to set up in with no other rival team, can draw on the thousands of disenchanted SEQLD rugby league fans. (Broncos and Super League.) Bring home Queenslanders to play at home.

GOLD COAST ALL THE WAY!

wittyfan

Referee
dodge said:
A why was asked for mate.

You GC loons never seem to be able to give the reasons for, just the reasons why CC should not...

The reason is that there is no doubt who will be the 16th team. :sto:

Timbo

Staff member
Gary Freeman just asked a very interesting question on NRL on Fox-Why can't we just invite all three?

There's enough talent in the lower grades and in England to justify inviting 3 new teams, and we know they've all said they have the necessary funds, so, why not all three?

And that way, in a few years, when the time comes to expand more, Perth and Adelaide will be ready to go with no competition.

Iafeta

Referee
Stranger said:
I wont give reasons why ill give reasons why not
Gold Coast - My pick
Central Coast - Cant hold a crowd on a regular basis. Sure plent of money but the support from public wont be there.
Perth - Simply will cost the team to much. Maby in 4-5 years although IMO are a long way infront of CC and Wellington. Still need to prove with a few more NRL matches that they can sustain an acceptable crowd.
Wellington - Gee The warroirs are having great crowds... And the matches in Wellington have had dismal crowds aswell.

Don't let facts stand in the way of a good story. Where's the I'm with Stupid Emoticon gone when you need it?

Wellington's lowest crowd, at the dismal depths of the Warriors last year when the coach and Lauitiiti were about to be punted was 13,500.

They have usually gone 15-16,000, and in some instances over 20,000.

Christchurch too got a very good crowd.

Take a look at the Hurricanes in a dismal Super 12 season, the crowd doesn't diminish too much. Wellingtonians are renowned for getting out to sporting events for the atmosphere, not necessarily result related. Plus you grab the Southern half of the North Island, and a short ferry ride across you also grab the South Island including strong rugby league areas such as the West Coast.

Iafeta

Referee
Timbo said:
Gary Freeman just asked a very interesting question on NRL on Fox-Why can't we just invite all three?

There's enough talent in the lower grades and in England to justify inviting 3 new teams, and we know they've all said they have the necessary funds, so, why not all three?

And that way, in a few years, when the time comes to expand more, Perth and Adelaide will be ready to go with no competition.

Depends on the seriousness of the bids, and the depth of their proposals I guess.

None of us have seen the Central Coast or Southern Orcas bid, so there may be something that we don't know about holding it all back. From the outside, the Orcas bid looks great - internationally used stadium, parochial crowd base which despite the ill informed tripe posted above support teams very well, a large Polynesian community ripe to turn to league, the South Island strongholds a mere ferry trip away, and the backing of a Belgian billionaire fully underwriting the team and all travel/accomodation expenses the other teams will face, and the support of Daniel Anderson who has said he will coach the Orcas and undoutably the increase in Sky TV Rights to the NRL. Its a damn long drive to Auckland from Wellington, I doubt therefore its going to severely impact the Warriors.

Thats the story - perhaps the facts aren't that at all. We need to see the proposal to comment. I agree with Daley, thats what bugs me, the NRL aren't giving us the facts on why certain bids are being turned away and are leaving it up to heresay.

As far as player depth goes, lets remember the tips for the standings this year. A lot of people had Manly, Cronulla and Canberra down near the bottom. I ask, where are they after 9 rounds? Even look at the respective benches of clubs, guys like PJ Marsh, Tevita Latu, Ashton Sims, Corey Parker, Shane Tronc, Anthony Tupou, Iafeta Paleaaesina, and even blokes who can't get a regular gig at the moment like Leigh McWilliams, David Faiumu, David Myles, Henry Perenara, Brett Firman, Tom Learoyd, good enough players. And the exodus to the UK - think of all the players over there from Australasia. Lauitiiti, Hape, Paul, Vagana, Leuluai, Tookey, Seu Seu, Swann, Williams, Tony, Stapleton etc. etc. Who knows, a new club may even get a marquee pom like McGuire or someone similar over here.

Even coaches, Chris Anderson, Daniel Anderson, and now Ian Millward or whatever his name is is without a gig.

With all that in mind, I'd just love to hear the individual basis of why bids are not given seemingly the light of day, what the plans in actual fact are so if Wellington etc is not an option the NRL wants to proceed with then to stop wasting their time, and what "underwriter" is infact a ghost person and which is true. Just let us know, and stop the rumour and heresay.

Central Coast people think they have a right to a team, as do the Orcas backers, I think both lots are entitled to know publically the business plan of the NRL and how either bid does not fit in.

Timbo

Staff member
Honestly I think the NRL remember how amazingly bad the bottom half of the table fared the year we had 20 teams and don't want to see that again. But it's a different competition now, the salary cap has evened out the competition drastically and a repeat of that situation is almost unthinkable.

Personally, I think the bids are incredibly even, there is no stand out, and the one that makes a heck of a lot more sense than people are giving credit for, is Wellington.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I'll give reasons for each

Gold Coast:
*Fasting growing population in Australia

*A strong Rugby League supporter base

*A strong Rugby League junior base
*Their bid has plenty of supporter
*Should never have been thrown out, they had a future.

Central Coast:

*Strong supporter base
*Like the Gold Coast is one of the fasting growing population in Australia
*PLenty of juniors
*Great stadium
*The Bears relocation shouldve and wouldve worked in 1999.

Wellington:

*A second NZL rugby league team will improve Rugby League in New Zealand
*Strong supporter base
*Stadium
*PLenty of juniors coming through

Perth:

*Improvement of juniors playing in the NRL (Matt Petersen, Daniel Holdsworth)
*3rd biggest Rugby League state behind NSW and Queensland
*Western Reds were a success early 1995, and were axed because of SL.
*Rugby League will die in Western Australia if nothing is done.

But it will be the Gold Coast, hands down.

Matt M

Juniors
Just because Perth had a game doesn't mean that they are bidding right now. I would love a Perth team but there is no way we should put on in now. We need more money going into junior development, and we also need to play for games over there.

As for the other bids. I think the Gold Coast should be put in. The Central Coast have a great bid but I just think the Gold Coast are better. Wellington has a great bid too but I would like to see much the same as what I would like toe see in Perth. The Wellington bid looks just a bit too early, maybe in a few more years they will be far better.

Timmah

Staff member
Matt M said:
Just because Perth had a game doesn't mean that they are bidding right now. I would love a Perth team but there is no way we should put on in now. We need more money going into junior development, and we also need to play for games over there.

As for the other bids. I think the Gold Coast should be put in. The Central Coast have a great bid but I just think the Gold Coast are better. Wellington has a great bid too but I would like to see much the same as what I would like toe see in Perth. The Wellington bid looks just a bit too early, maybe in a few more years they will be far better.

See DIEHARD, why can't you just be like these blokes? "CC has it's merits, a great bid, but GC is better"

Instead you deathride the CC bid and want it run into the ground, and why? For an ego trip? I don't understand... :|

Timmah

Staff member
All he's come out with in this thread is a bunch of pro-Queensland sentiment and the names of 3 companies that he's heard on the rumour mill may join the GC in getting there. I know Ozemail is in on it but it sounds like DIEHARD is trying to convince himself.

The clearest reason it's not very good having DIEHARD as an advocate for your cause

Brisbane, the heart and soul of Super League. Two News Ltd teams in Qld, not good enough...

It's quite simple, this is now the NRL. The Super League war is now TEN years ago. Expressing grief over it in order to gain support for the GC cause isn't exactly appealing.

In fact, most of his points that aren't related to the anti-Super League crusade he's on could probably apply to the CC bid too.

Really isn't as much difference as he makes out. Just an arrogant and forceful opinion out of DIEHARDS keyboard really.

Nite all, will be interesting to see what abuse I'll get hurled at me overnight.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Sir Clifford GC said:
gold coast

the coast with the most

and for reasons just ask diehard.

The most what??

Japanese tourists??

Schoolies??

Victorian immigrants??

Attempts at starting professional sports team & failing??

Sir Clifford GC

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
The most what??

Japanese tourists??

Schoolies??

Victorian immigrants??

Attempts at starting professional sports team & failing??
deadset Illawarrasaint
if you dont take ure hand off ure dick
you are gonna go blind
comments like yours prove u have No ****ing idea about the gold coast

Latest posts