What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you rather have at your club?Jamie Soward or Mitchell Pearce..

pearce is a good gritty player and hes still young.

he just doesnt excite me.

the roosters play does win them lots of games, but its boring.

tries from bombs or kicks to the corner, hardly cutting edge stuff.

mullen and carney are better than pearce atm too.

pearce basically got picked for origin becuause of the injury to bird meant anasta was 5/8th. they then took pearce to get a club combination going.

if anasta fails tonight will they stick with him next year???

though the guy has a chance tonight to prove hes up to it.

Syren

Juniors
pearce is a good gritty player and hes still young.

he just doesnt excite me.

the roosters play does win them lots of games, but its boring.

tries from bombs or kicks to the corner, hardly cutting edge stuff.

mullen and carney are better than pearce atm too.

pearce basically got picked for origin becuause of the injury to bird meant anasta was 5/8th. they then took pearce to get a club combination going.

if anasta fails tonight will they stick with him next year???

though the guy has a chance tonight to prove hes up to it.

If Anasta fails, then thats the end of him for SOO. Pearce could suffer the same fate as Mullen last year.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Thats your justification???
Who is Sowards competition for Dally M points at Saints? f**king NOBODY thats who.

Pearce is sharing points with half the Roosters team.
Well that justification doesn't make much sense. The dragons are one of the form teams in the comp, along with the Roosters. So either you're saying Soward is so good he is carrying the side, or that Pearce does not stand out in his games over his counterparts.

Either way, it's not really a valid argument, given both teams are close on the ladder.

I'm a roosters fan, and quite happy with how Pearce is progressing, but I'm a huge Soward fan as well.

I would have loved to have
6. Soward
7. Pearce
13. Anasta

It would be an incredibly lethal combo, both kicking and running wise. Pearce isn't rep quality yet imo either, and if it wasn't for anasta, I doubt he'd be there. Either way, it's a comparison between a halfback and a 5/8 who has found his place in a team over the last year. Soward has been a revelation at 5/8 for Saints, Pearce has played well at halfback this year for the roosters, the two aren't interchangeable.

aqua_duck

Coach
Look soward is 23, Pearce is 18, its hardly fair to compare the 2, its like comparing Lachlan Coote to Brett Morris.

In all seriously compare the two players age for age. When Soward was 18 he was in flegg and he actually didn't make 1st grade till he was in his early 20's if memory serves me correct. Pearce was in 1st grade at age 17. Also the roosters IMO have made the right choice to let Soward go because he's only a year or 2 younger than Braith, where as Ben Jones is about 8 or 9 years younger so will be ready to go when Braith leaves.

Soward is a good player but he ain't in the same league as mitchell pearce, I wouldn't even rate him in the top 5 halfbacks in NSW

Well that justification doesn't make much sense. The dragons are one of the form teams in the comp, along with the Roosters. So either you're saying Soward is so good he is carrying the side, or that Pearce does not stand out in his games over his counterparts.

Either way, it's not really a valid argument, given both teams are close on the ladder.

I'm a roosters fan, and quite happy with how Pearce is progressing, but I'm a huge Soward fan as well.

I would have loved to have
6. Soward
7. Pearce
13. Anasta

It would be an incredibly lethal combo, both kicking and running wise. Pearce isn't rep quality yet imo either, and if it wasn't for anasta, I doubt he'd be there. Either way, it's a comparison between a halfback and a 5/8 who has found his place in a team over the last year. Soward has been a revelation at 5/8 for Saints, Pearce has played well at halfback this year for the roosters, the two aren't interchangeable.

blame chris anderson, he basically forced soward out of the club.

thanks for that by the way.

Johnny Bravo

Juniors
Look soward is 23, Pearce is 18, its hardly fair to compare the 2, its like comparing Lachlan Coote to Brett Morris.

In all seriously compare the two players age for age. When Soward was 18 he was in flegg and he actually didn't make 1st grade till he was in his early 20's if memory serves me correct. Pearce was in 1st grade at age 17. Also the roosters IMO have made the right choice to let Soward go because he's only a year or 2 younger than Braith, where as Ben Jones is about 8 or 9 years younger so will be ready to go when Braith leaves.

Soward is a good player but he ain't in the same league as mitchell pearce, I wouldn't even rate him in the top 5 halfbacks in NSW
Soward was the highest point scorer in the history of flegg at that age. Just because he was or wasn't in first grade at the same age has little bearing. Coaches can hold back players for various reasons. The fact we had Fittler and Finch playing at the time may have had something to do with it.

In terms of real first grade experience, the two aren't really that far apart.

Pearce is 19 BTW.

Last edited:

Johnny Bravo

Juniors

Stuart hindered his progression, not Anderson. If Stuart showed some faith from 2005 onwards, he would have developed much quicker. The longest stint he ever got under Stuart was 4 games in a row. Nowhere near long enough for a half to establish himself in a side.

Syren

Juniors
Pearce played when he was 17 because:

1. He's a good prospect
2. There is actually no one else left after Soward and Lewis were let go

DJShaksta

First Grade

Didn't Soward play for the Roosters last eyar while Fittler was coach?

Either way, I am not saying he is a bad player. Quite the opposite, he is a good player. The question was who would I rather have at my club, my answer is Pearce. He is younger, has more years in him, is showing massive potential, etc etc.

Shorty

Staff member
Why wasn't Soward considered when Pearce's name was brought up for Origin .. At first I just though nah,but his performances throughout the year have been top notch since ANZAC Day when Pearce was shown up big time.
Wasn't Soward considered last year?
Look to be honest a good chunk of this selection would have been the Anasta connection and their kicking.
But people speak about this Pearce kid like he's the next Joey - Arthur Beetson,a Queenslander,is willing to say he'll be better than JT already.
So either he'll back it up or it'll be another torn heart like Mullen.

By the way why was there no vows to protect Wallace or Mullen?:?

I've seen more of Soward and he's one of my favourite players to watch - Especially the little march before his goal kick!

Didn't Soward play for the Roosters last eyar while Fittler was coach?

Either way, I am not saying he is a bad player. Quite the opposite, he is a good player. The question was who would I rather have at my club, my answer is Pearce. He is younger, has more years in him, is showing massive potential, etc etc.

doubt it.

they let him go mid season to the saints.

anderson made the call as he wanted pearce. why he never thought of soward at 6 is beyond me.

then again, this was the guy that took the Dally M player of the year and basically forced him out of cronulla to make way for brett kimmorley

Tom Ace

Bench
Would you rather have at your club?

An arrogant 19 year old who's only involvement in the game is to kick the ball.

Or one of the fastest players in the NRL who attacks the line,has good defence especially on the goalline and a great goalkicker.

Just cause Pearce will play origin doesnt make him good.

Was Phil Bailey any good?

OR a 23 year old who's only involvement is to kick the ball, take a few intercepts and get run over in defence.

I wanted to see more Soward when he was at the Roosters because I thought he had potential, but it was not to be and I couldn't be happier that we kept Pearce over him.

As for Pearce being arrogant. It'd be interesting to know if you've actually met him.

dragondad

First Grade
OR a 23 year old who's only involvement is to kick the ball, take a few intercepts and get run over in defence.

I wanted to see more Soward when he was at the Roosters because I thought he had potential, but it was not to be and I couldn't be happier that we kept Pearce over him.

As for Pearce being arrogant. It'd be interesting to know if you've actually met him.

Well seeing as though I have friends who went to school and have seen him strut his stuff like he owns several nightclubs,I have a very close idea.

Syren

Juniors

Roosters were always going to keep Pearce, they had a choice with Soward because Anasta can play lock and they decided to release Soward.

Well seeing as though I have friends who went to school and have seen him strut his stuff like he owns several nightclubs,I have a very close idea.

cant blame the kid for having a big head with him being juniors kid and also with how good he is at a young age.

Tom Ace

Bench

:roll: Always believe the word of a envious mate.

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone has claimed that a professional sportsman is "arrogant" or a "wanker" based on something he's heard from a mate or mates mate.

Jealously tends to blur peoples judgment.

Tom Ace

Bench
Roosters were always going to keep Pearce, they had a choice with Soward because Anasta can play lock and they decided to release Soward.

I probably worded that badly.

My point was that I'm glad we didn't keep Soward if all he was going to do was play for Newtown.

Latest posts