What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you rather have at your club?Jamie Soward or Mitchell Pearce..

BunniesMan

Immortal
Pearce. And not just because of my Dragons and Soward bias. I think Pearce is more of an all round talent, and has the potential to be the next great halfback of our game. Soward excels in his situation, and what he does obviously works for where he is but as a standalone player I don't think he's as good as Pearce will be.

dragondad

First Grade
The better thread is Eddie Paea vs Mitchell Pearce :lol: Souffs fans thought they were on to a winner with him.

Ricky Stuart wasn't the one who punted him you dope.

Cool quoting me from how many years ago? Did you go back and read all 30 pages?

Quiet day on the dole?

Would you rather have at your club?

An arrogant 19 year old who's only involvement in the game is to kick the ball.

Or one of the fastest players in the NRL who attacks the line,has good defence especially on the goalline and a great goalkicker.

Just cause Pearce will play origin doesnt make him good.

Was Phil Bailey any good?

Soward - and in fact the whole Dragons team - are the definition of arrogance.

Mitchell is far from it.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Jamie Soward.

The biggest benefactor of the signing of Todd Carney this season has been Mitch Pearce. What we have is a halves combo being carried by a dominant five eight and they are now seen as a "package deal" and the media lap it up. Kevin Walters was in a similar spot as Pearce. Langer dominated, Walters rode the coat tails and they were seen as a "dominant halves pairing".

Todd Carney has carried Pearce and Pearce is reaping the rewards. I am not saying Pearce is a bad player, but I am saying that he is overrated as all hell by most from where I sit.

What has Pearce done minus Todd Carney in any side he has played in?

1. Won a wooden spoon

2. ???? ????

florencemachine

Juniors
i love how dragondad talks about soward's all round game and how pearce can only kick...when its become blindingly obvious how reversed those are.

18to87

Coach
Soward - and in fact the whole Dragons team - are the definition of arrogance.

This may be the stupidest thing anyone has ever said.

How can a team that has basically won sweet f all premierships and is labeled chokers by everyone and their dog - be considered arrogant?

Give me one sound bite or quote where any Dragons player has been arrogant?

I wish they were a TINY bit arrogant cause then they would have beaten the Tigers by more than one point. Instead they looked timid and out of their depth for some of the match last week before they were able to build some momentum.

Hopefully (for Dragons fans) they can relax and play confident footy tomorrow.

boxhead

First Grade
Would you rather have at your club?

An arrogant 19 year old who's only involvement in the game is to kick the ball.

Or one of the fastest players in the NRL who attacks the line,has good defence especially on the goalline and a great goalkicker.

Just cause Pearce will play origin doesnt make him good.

Was Phil Bailey any good?

That is completely wrong and very mis-informed.

You are completely dis-respecting Pearce and showing obvious bias by not talking about any of his good qualities.

On the argument, it depends on what position you need filled at your club.
If you are like the Eels and need a dominant half, either would be great.
If you are like the Raiders and need an organiser, Pearce is the best option.

Personally, I prefer Pearce over Soward. I think they are both great players, and I won't say one is better than the other, but I would prefer Pearce in my team if I had a choice between the two....this isn't to dis-respect Soward, mind you, I like him and rate him as much as any player.

EDIT: Doh! I didn't realize this thread was from 2008 LOL!!!!! :lol:

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
This may be the stupidest thing anyone has ever said.

How can a team that has basically won sweet f all premierships and is labeled chokers by everyone and their dog - be considered arrogant?

Give me one sound bite or quote where any Dragons player has been arrogant?

I wish they were a TINY bit arrogant cause then they would have beaten the Tigers by more than one point. Instead they looked timid and out of their depth for some of the match last week before they were able to build some momentum.

Hopefully (for Dragons fans) they can relax and play confident footy tomorrow.

It's not necessarily what they've said but your team has a general aura about them that screams arrogance.

Part of it is I think general fans want the dominating team of the season to play exciting footy, so it's easier to watch in the finals like the Tigers and Roosters. But the Dragons play the most boring type of footy I've ever seen.

And what's frustrating about this is you guys have the talent to play exciting footy and to do it well but you don't. Kicking penalty after penalty turns neutral fans off. Same with Soward refusing to get it wide time after time when the defense was rushing in. And then when he finally did it led to an exciting play and eventually a try. That could have happened all game long if he wasn't too scared to make the quick pass.

Having said that, I know the Dragons don't care that they're considered boring. And I'm sure the fans don't give a damn because of the success you're having playing your way. But at the same time you have to understand why to neutral fans that style comes across as arrogant and off putting, and why so many people want you to lose because of how you play.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It's not necessarily what they've said but your team has a general aura about them that screams arrogance.

Part of it is I think general fans want the dominating team of the season to play exciting footy, so it's easier to watch in the finals like the Tigers and Roosters. But the Dragons play the most boring type of footy I've ever seen.

And what's frustrating about this is you guys have the talent to play exciting footy and to do it well but you don't. Kicking penalty after penalty turns neutral fans off. Same with Soward refusing to get it wide time after time when the defense was rushing in. And then when he finally did it led to an exciting play and eventually a try. That could have happened all game long if he wasn't too scared to make the quick pass.

Having said that, I know the Dragons don't care that they're considered boring. And I'm sure the fans don't give a damn because of the success you're having playing your way. But at the same time you have to understand why to neutral fans that style comes across as arrogant and off putting, and why so many people want you to lose because of how you play.
Arrogance or Confidence? I say confidence. As for getting frustrated about the way the dragons play, unless their your team who gives a toss? Should the dragons throw it around because other teams fans find them boring? I find Souths inability to defend boring - are souths going to man up in defence because of this?

18to87

Coach

So basically because the fans of other teams don't like how the Dragons win SOME of their games - the Dragons are arrogant.

Well its the fan base that needs the adjustment - not the Dragons. Ever followed the NFL? Fans of the NFL know that defence wins championships. One of the most celebrated NFL teams in history is the 1985 Chicago Bears who punished teams physically by playing dominating defence. Look at the Indianapolis Colts - best offensive team for years and years - couldn't win the Superbowl until the defence became worth a damn.

The reality is that any fan aside from Roosters fans would like their team to be this boring so they could be playing today.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Some overrated players have donned the Australian jersey e.g. Matt Cooper, Brad Thorn, Dane Carlaw, Ross Conlon etc. though Cooper Cronk is not on that list. Cronk is unfortunate to be playing in an era where he is up against some great halves, perhaps up against one the greatest of them all in Thurston.

Rodent

Bench
How did they compare in the GF? Pearce made 21 tackles and missed 10 (the best defensive halfback in the game?). He made 1 run for 6m.
Soward made just 7 tackles and missed 0 (yet his defence is heavily criticised). He made 3 runs for 17m.
Soward performed well on the big stage getting the field goal to win the sudden death match v Wests Tigers and kicked 6 from 7 in the GF including 2 from the sideline. His kicking in general play was good too. He stood up to the pressure well. He'll do me.

Y2Eel

First Grade
How did they compare in the GF? Pearce made 21 tackles and missed 10 (the best defensive halfback in the game?). He made 1 run for 6m.
Soward made just 7 tackles and missed 0 (yet his defence is heavily criticised). He made 3 runs for 17m.
Soward performed well on the big stage getting the field goal to win the sudden death match v Wests Tigers and kicked 6 from 7 in the GF including 2 from the sideline. His kicking in general play was good too. He stood up to the pressure well. He'll do me.

Soward went missing the whole time in attack great boot but far our he was hiding down the short side most the game so he wouldnt touch the ball..

To answer the question in the title, Pearce any day of the year. He's better than any halfback we have, whereas Soward is a 5/8, where we have Marshall who is much better.