What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you rather have at your club?Jamie Soward or Mitchell Pearce..

Dragon

Coach
Pearce was carried all year by Carney, he is the most over-rated half in the country

league

Juniors
Mitchell Pearce, decent first grader, no more no less. Living off his dad's name.

Give me Soward any day of the week and twice on grand final days.

Rusty

Juniors
I would probably take Pearce soley because he can tackle...but I think both of them are sh*t and are fortunate to be playing behind dominant forward packs. Oh and in Pearce's case, it helps when you have two playmakers to ease the pressure.

_Johnsy

Referee
well it's pretty hard to miss a tackle when you don't make any to begin with :roll:

soward is the new shane perry

New to the game are you? :lol:

On the topic of players not doing much, did the "supposed" form centre of the NRL, SKD actually play in the GF, what a farkin hack he is.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
It's not necessarily what they've said but your team has a general aura about them that screams arrogance.

Part of it is I think general fans want the dominating team of the season to play exciting footy, so it's easier to watch in the finals like the Tigers and Roosters. But the Dragons play the most boring type of footy I've ever seen.

And what's frustrating about this is you guys have the talent to play exciting footy and to do it well but you don't. Kicking penalty after penalty turns neutral fans off. Same with Soward refusing to get it wide time after time when the defense was rushing in. And then when he finally did it led to an exciting play and eventually a try. That could have happened all game long if he wasn't too scared to make the quick pass.

Having said that, I know the Dragons don't care that they're considered boring. And I'm sure the fans don't give a damn because of the success you're having playing your way. But at the same time you have to understand why to neutral fans that style comes across as arrogant and off putting, and why so many people want you to lose because of how you play.

That is confidence in their own methods, gameplan and processes. Sticking to what they know and adhering to a gameplan that they do not waiver from is not arrogance. It's confidence in what you've worked for, will work.

Any success is automatically interpreted as arrogance in most cases.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Pearce is a bit like Kimmorley as far as style (not skills or achievements) is concerned. One dimensional . When he's got a forward pack that's dominating he'll be the best player on the field, when the forward battle is even he's quiet, when his forwards are getting spanked he's woeful. That can be said for most halves but in players like Pearce/Kimmorley its more noticeable. Defensively he is strong and like Kimmorley he never gives up.

Soward is a game breaker, he sees gaps and reads the play very well and his back up play is excellent. Kicking game outstanding. Under pressure he stands up. Defensive isn't his strong point and he's always going to be targeted by giants as are all smaller playmakers.

Who would I rather have at my club - Soward, as long as he ditched the girly dance before he kicks each goal.

CMUX

Pearce was carried all year by Carney, he is the most over-rated half in the country

You mean besides Soward?

Soward gets carried by the awesome team he plays in. If Pearce played for the dragons their attack would be much better.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Soward carried our team in 2008. What Bennett has done over the last 2 years is take the pressure off him, so he's not required to make every play. Part of that has been the development of Darius Boyd as an extra playmaker. If you look at the Grand Final, Soward set up one try, Hornby one, Boyd one, and Fien two. And none of them were our pet left side play.

Pearce has benefited similarly from the presence of Todd Carney. Prior to this year, Pearce had to make every play. Now he can sit back, concentrate on his kicking game, and chime in when necessary, as he did in the GF with the try he set up for Aubusson.

_Johnsy

Referee
BunniesMan

Ask fans of every other team this question.

Would you have sacraficed attacking play for a more conservatie style if it won you the 2010 premiership?

The answers you'll get render the point you are trying to make redundant.

BunniesMan

Ask fans of every other team this question.

Would you have sacraficed attacking play for a more conservatie style if it won you the 2010 premiership?

The answers you'll get render the point you are trying to make redundant.

Unless you ask Balmain fans ;-)

dice

Juniors
Assuming Bennett and Boyd decide to stay at the Dragons, it will be funny to revisit this thread when Boyd moves to 5/8th and Soward moves to oblivion.

Latest posts