What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whom could have predicted this?

Fan bases are mostly derived by region, true. But when you're plonking a new team into a 100 yr old comp, and where there is already fan bases for rival region teams, and especially too a team like Redcliffe that has a long history in QLd comps, many locals opposed to it....naming it The isnt going to help either. Locals already know it's the Redcliffe team promoted to the NRL.

Fan bases for such teams, plonked into a region with existing fans of a rival team, the only thing that will grow its fan base is long-term success, and also having something iconic/famous about it -- jersey/logo/nickname/history -- will help attract new "too young to know any different" fans, a couple generations go by and all kids today and in the future will know is the Dolphins team of the NRL that is a rival to the Broncos. The stigma will dissipate over time.

Dolphins fan growth long-term is northern Brisbane and into the Sunshine Coast.

If they choose to stay based in Redcliffe, own it, be called Redcliffe or Moreton Bay. Doesn't need much thought. They can still garner fans from SC with all their partnerships and grassroots development in the SC, all the meet and greets in SC schools and malls, heavy jersey and fan gear places there, keep at it, over time it'll happen....till the Falcons get an NRL team, that would hurt.

If they plan on re-basing in the SC then embrace that region now by calling themselves SC or Maroochydore (just my proposal for a name) that is cleaner and better than mouthful non-specific region names.

Identifying as neither Redcliffe/Moreton Bay, nor Sunshine Coast, leaves them in a worse position imo.
Theres a reason they didn't call themselves Redcliffe from day one , marketing experts would have told them long term its a name that will hold them back , its no different from a name like Maroochydore

And anything like Moreton Bay etc is no better
The Phins need to spend 2022 at every school , sports carnival , shopping centre & everything in between from the Brisbane CBD North to the SC selling themselves
By kickoff 2023 everyone will know who they represent & everyone in that nthn corridor that they are their team

xe_kilroy

Juniors
Regardless, The Dolphins are in a tricky position. Naming themselves "The" and not identifying with either/or isn't going to help like they might think it would. Either re-base in SC or own their identity/region as Redcliffe/Moreton Bay. Time and new generations will help, sustained on field success will help, having iconic elements will help. Not a "The" name or non-specific multi-region mouthful name.

xe_kilroy

Juniors
The Phins need to spend 2022 at every school , sports carnival , shopping centre & everything in between from the Brisbane CBD North to the SC selling themselves
By kickoff 2023 everyone will know who they represent & everyone in that nthn corridor that they are their team
That's a given. Already said they need to do that as well as heavy fan gear placed in SC stores. So I agree there.

Just emphasizing that they can still do that whilst being called Redcliffe or Moreton Bay, and "The" doesn't change the fact they're a Redcliffe/Moreton Bay club, with a long and well-known history there, including pre-existing rival fans from the QLD Cup/BRL. No one is fooled or mistaken by "The". So just own it.

Otherwise, re-base in SC and name themselves such. Make a decision, own a region, this or that. Eventually the Falcons are gonna get an NRL team which will take away their SC market share. So own that region now, claim it, or claim MB/Nth Brisbane.

Time, new generations of kids, sustained on field success, an iconic element....things that will help grow a fan base for this particular situation -- old state club plonked into a burgeoning national comp with existing regional rivals, and future nearby growth regions expanded to.

Regardless, The Dolphins are in a tricky position. Naming themselves "The" and not identifying with either/or isn't going to help like they might think it would. Either re-base in SC or own their identity/region as Redcliffe/Moreton Bay. Time and new generations will help, sustained on field success will help, having iconic elements will help. Not a "The" name or non-specific multi-region mouthful name.
well I think Ive indicated we will agree to disagree that its a big issue at this point . They'll sort it out eventually , theres no rush.
It won't impact their inaugural season , that will be huge regardless but they will have to have a clearer idea about who they are long term

That's a given. Already said they need to do that as well as heavy fan gear placed in SC stores. So I agree there.

Just emphasizing that they can still do that whilst being called Redcliffe or Moreton Bay, and "The" doesn't change the fact they're a Redcliffe/Moreton Bay club, with a long and well-known history there, including pre-existing rival fans from the QLD Cup/BRL. No one is fooled or mistaken by "The". So just own it.

Otherwise, re-base in SC and name themselves such. Make a decision, own a region, this or that. Eventually the Falcons are gonna get an NRL team which will take away their SC market share. So own that region now, claim it, or claim MB/Nth Brisbane.

Time, new generations of kids, sustained on field success, an iconic element....things that will help grow a fan base for this particular situation -- old state club plonked into a burgeoning national comp with existing regional rivals, and future nearby growth regions expanded to.
If theres a 3rd Brisbane /4th SE Qld team it will be the Jets in the west , not the falcons. ( again IMO)
East- Broncos
North- Dolphins
West- Jets
South - Titans

again I ask
why would anyone who doesn't live on the SC follow them if they don't live there
Redcliffe the same
Again, theres a sound carefully considered reason why they steered clear of any of that
they don't need to own anything atm
"The ".. will suffice

we don;t want another cronulla or manly in QLD & thats exactly what we will get otherwise

xe_kilroy

Juniors
If theres a 3rd Brisbane /4th SE Qld team it will be the Jets in the west , not the falcons. ( again IMO)
East- Broncos
North- Dolphins
West- Jets
South - Titans

again I ask
why would anyone who doesn't live on the SC follow them if they don't live there
Redcliffe the same
Again, theres a sound carefully considered reason why they steered clear of any of that
"The ".. will suffice

we don;t want another cronulla or manly in QLD & thats exactly what we will get otherwise
I am agreeing with you that the Dolphins are in such a tricky position already, and long-term.

Having a heavy SC presence in malls, schools, merchandise, and playing some games there each season for 10-20 years will help grow the fan base in SC. But eventually the Falcons will get a team, and that will take a large market share from them. If Ipswich also gets in, that will take away from the Brisbane market too.

Jets in the west, Dolphins in the north, Broncos centrally, even Falcons SC...that can work, is an "ideal" expansion plan imo, and better than WA/NZ. But all four clubs will feel the pinch.

Dolphins as "The" doesn't help as they or others might think it would.... that's all I'm stressing. I might be a negative Nancy about it, and as you said well -- don't worry, they'll figure it out eventually.

I am agreeing with you that the Dolphins are in such a tricky position already, and long-term.

Having a heavy SC presence in malls, schools, merchandise, and playing some games there each season for 10-20 years will help grow the fan base in SC. But eventually the Falcons will get a team, and that will take a large market share from them. If Ipswich also gets in, that will take away from the Brisbane market too.

Jets in the west, Dolphins in the north, Broncos centrally, even Falcons SC...that can work, is an "ideal" expansion plan imo, and better than WA/NZ. But all four clubs will feel the pinch.

Dolphins as "The" doesn't help as they or others might think it would.... that's all I'm stressing. I might be a negative Nancy about it, and as you said well -- don't worry, they'll figure it out eventually.
they won't go 5 in SE Qld
There will be just one more in the Brisbane area & Im not even sure if it will be the next one to go , NZ 2 or Perth will be next , we will be at 20 teams by around the start of the TV deal beginning in 2033

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s interesting the falcons decided to extend with Storm rather than jump ship to the Dolphins. Wonder what that was about? Being a feeder to a fellow qrl club unpalatable maybe?

xe_kilroy

Juniors
It’s interesting the falcons decided to extend with Storm rather than jump ship to the Dolphins. Wonder what that was about? Being a feeder to a fellow qrl club unpalatable maybe?
Maybe also designs on a NRL license too.

Maybe also Dolphins unfair advantage having Falcons and Dolphins as feeders, whilst the no-juniors Storm left to rot. Maybe some NRL boardroom goings on

xe_kilroy

Juniors
they won't go 5 in SE Qld
There will be just one more in the Brisbane area & Im not even sure if it will be the next one to go , NZ 2 or Perth will be next , we will be at 20 teams by around the start of the TV deal beginning in 2033
You're probably right. NZ or WA for the TV time slots. I would love for WA to also get represented. Better state than Vic for RL.

Tho, NRL has to be careful not neglecting the western corridor as apparently the AFL is making strides there, pushing hard. Also, SC is one of the fastest growth regions in Australia, surely has to matter.

Also, junior participation numbers, burgeoning leagues, should be a prime factor for expansion. Those regions should be grabbed and owned, will always strongly support their NRL team. Eg, Townsville versus Storm.

Push the smaller NSW clubs elsewhere interstate (perth, adelaide) thus dont have to expand to 25 to have a national comp one day.

Sunshine Coast Falcons aren't a rich club and won't be in a position to push for a spot in the NRL unless something drastic happens.

Moreton Bay has a larger population than Sunshine Coast and is part of the metropolitan Brisbane area.

Moreton Bay Dolphins would be a good name.

A third team in Brisbane would have to be based on the southside. One representing Ipswich, Logan and southern Brisbane would have the best chance of succeeding. Jets don't have the money or footprint to pull it off. Tigers have a strong presence from Bulimba through southeastern Brisbane and eastern Logan. I'd like to see Tigers focus more on developing their footprint in western Logan and Redlands before bidding again for an NRL licence.

mongoose

Coach
what's this talk of the Dolphins re-basing at Sunshine Coast?

I would like to see a SC team one day down the track and it's definitely an area the NRL should keep an eye on. I don't buy that the Dolphins can represent Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast. Firstly Moreton Bay isn't a proper region, its a random collection of suburbs that have no relationship to one another. Arana Hills is a suburb in the Moreton Bay council and its closer to Brisbane CBD than it is to Redcliffe. The Dolphins just need to keep it simple, be a Brisbane team or just go with tradition and leave it as Redcliffe.

xe_kilroy

Juniors

I would like to see a SC team one day down the track and it's definitely an area the NRL should keep an eye on. I don't buy that the Dolphins can represent Moreton Bay and Sunshine Coast. Firstly Moreton Bay isn't a proper region, its a random collection of suburbs that have no relationship to one another. Arana Hills is a suburb in the Moreton Bay council and its closer to Brisbane CBD than it is to Redcliffe. The Dolphins just need to keep it simple, be a Brisbane team or just go with tradition and leave it as Redcliffe.
My whole rant today is essentially agreeing with your points above. The talk of re-basing in SC is following a train of thought about future growth limitations and pandering with the "The" name.

Apologies for the huge wall of text, and repeating/re-posting myself ad nauseum.....

----

If The Dolphins plan on re-basing in the Sunshine Coast, I propose renaming to Maroochydore Dolphins.

If The Dolphins plan on staying in Moreton Bay, then they should just embrace the Redcliffe name. Or Moreton Bay as second preference.

If the Falcons enter the NRL, I'd also propose Maroochydore. Sunshine Coast second preference. They'd use Sunshine Coast, and that's fine, just I'd propose Maroochydore. Why am I so hung up about the name Maroochydore?

Maroochydore has a nice ring to it. It's a famous/well-known unique name. A big plus to have for a sports team trying to stake a presence. Better than a bland generic compass-point name like East Coast or North Brisbane or Sun State, and far better than a "The".

That whole thought process that having a specific place name detriments achieving an expanded fan base is false. Meanwhile, riding the fence as neither Redcliffe/Moreton Bay, nor as Sunshine Coast, puts them in a worse position. Lacking identity. Identity = character.

Identifying with neither Redcliffe nor SC whilst trying to represent both is problematic. They're representing SC because they are engaging in corporate and grassroots alliances with SC. Trying to catch the region as part of their fanbase, as they have a confined position in MB. Everyone in SEQ knows the Redcliffe Dolphins from the QLD Cup/BRL. Many didn't follow that club then. Same kind of problem Port Adelaide Magpies had when entering the AFL. At the same time, they're kind of distancing themselves from Redcliffe by doing so. Port Power went back to Port Adelaide, re-identified, solidified, grew.

If they're so keen on expanding their fanbase north, then re-base the NRL club to the Sunshine Coast and own that fast growing region. Otherwise, don't be fearful, embrace their historical identity and locale of Redcliffe.

If they continued for years trying to be for both without a name, one day the Falcons will have an NRL team, and their SC market share will disappear anyway. Back to Redcliffe, whom they tried to distance from in ways. Better to just be Redcliffe from the outset. Being called "The" doesn't fool anyone, nor make a difference in itself versus being called Redcliffe when it comes to having a presence in SC, expanding their fanbase with alliances, school and mall meet and greets, interaction with junior teams, their supporter gear heavily placed in SC stores. Named "The" or Redcliffe won't affect the numbers or perception.

Meanwhile...I'm also philosophizing about the whole "what makes a good name" topic. Clubs often over-think it with those bland generic names which often create confusion instead. West Coast Eagles, West Harbor Pirates, Western Bulldogs, Wests Tigers. Instead, names like Essendon, Bondi, Arsenal, Redcliffe, Miami, San Francisco, Collingwood, St George, are specific place names that are unique nationally/internationally, make for a perfect name to have, and have strong identities that non-region fans attach to despite that. The Dragons, Magpies, Bombers, and NFL teams like Steelers, Cowboys, Raiders....they all have a huge nationwide following despite having specific place names, some of which are merely a suburb. Realize then that Redcliffe is actually a similarly good unique name. Their fanbase will grow over time more due to on field success and having iconic elements like jersey, colors, nickname. When today's kids have kids of their own, that will also mean water under the bridge in terms of how the club is now perceived. Now a direct Brisbane-based NRL rival to the Broncos to choose over.

When I lived in the US, places like Bondi, Maroochydore, Coolangatta, Wollongong were more well-known than even capital city names. Same how in Australia names like Chicago and Miami are well-known and romanticized about. All those indigenous names (Native American or Australian Aborigine) have that iconic element to them. Even English names can be unique, like Arsenal, Redcliffe, Essendon. The Roosters should've renamed to Bondi Roosters for the mere popularity/fame of that name. Reckon they would've attracted more fans than a bland Sydney. A name being specific to a suburb or town isn't a reason why it doesn't attract fans outside it. Clubs mistakenly think it does or would.

Sure, fan bases are mostly derived by region. But what makes The Dolphins fan growth difficult is that an old well-known state club (Dolphins) are being plonked into a 100 year old national comp, and in a region where there is already competition from existing clubs like the Broncos and Titans. SEQ already knows the Redcliffe Dolphins, have biases against both the town and the football club. Like Port Adelaide Magpies. Imagine if a hated Glebe FC was promoted to the NRL, plonked into a Sydney market with many rival fanbases. It's not that bad for The Dolphins, but it's a parallel. I often hear people worry about The Dolphins being likened to Cronulla in terms of region, population, limited growth, tho strong in juniors. Due to the dynamics of geography.

My ideal NRL expansion is that Ipswich/Logan and SC get the next two licenses. For many reasons I wont go into now. But that is a good split up of regions -- Broncos (central), Dolphins (north east), Jets/Tigers (west/south west), Titans (south), Falcons (north). That would also make it very difficult for all those clubs. Market share. An alternative would be Dolphins re-basing in SC, naming themselves SC or Maroochydore. claiming the region, investing in a stadium and HQs there full-time, as a way to not be bound to that geography of Moreton Bay/Redcliffe, especially if/when another Brisbane-based team enters next.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach

Your only thinking of the council area. But the actual Bay extends from Southport on the GC all the way up. Thus it is really covering a large area. Either way, I do think the dolphins need to put something in front of the name. It hasn't worked in the NRL or Super Rugby. Each team that tried that including my own, has after a few years had to put something in front again. As much as they may be known as the Bulldogs or Sharks, not having a place name takes away from the club's identity. They could be any generic Bulldogs or Sharks, and in this case, any Dolphins clubs maybe not even in the same sport or country. That's why it fails.

mongoose

Coach
My whole rant today is essentially agreeing with your points above. The talk of re-basing in SC is following a train of thought about future growth limitations and pandering with the "The" name.

Apologies for the huge wall of text, and repeating/re-posting myself ad nauseum.....

----

If The Dolphins plan on re-basing in the Sunshine Coast, I propose renaming to Maroochydore Dolphins.

If The Dolphins plan on staying in Moreton Bay, then they should just embrace the Redcliffe name. Or Moreton Bay as second preference.

If the Falcons enter the NRL, I'd also propose Maroochydore. Sunshine Coast second preference. They'd use Sunshine Coast, and that's fine, just I'd propose Maroochydore. Why am I so hung up about the name Maroochydore?

Maroochydore has a nice ring to it. It's a famous/well-known unique name. A big plus to have for a sports team trying to stake a presence. Better than a bland generic compass-point name like East Coast or North Brisbane or Sun State, and far better than a "The".

That whole thought process that having a specific place name detriments achieving an expanded fan base is false. Meanwhile, riding the fence as neither Redcliffe/Moreton Bay, nor as Sunshine Coast, puts them in a worse position. Lacking identity. Identity = character.

Identifying with neither Redcliffe nor SC whilst trying to represent both is problematic. They're representing SC because they are engaging in corporate and grassroots alliances with SC. Trying to catch the region as part of their fanbase, as they have a confined position in MB. Everyone in SEQ knows the Redcliffe Dolphins from the QLD Cup/BRL. Many didn't follow that club then. Same kind of problem Port Adelaide Magpies had when entering the AFL. At the same time, they're kind of distancing themselves from Redcliffe by doing so. Port Power went back to Port Adelaide, re-identified, solidified, grew.

If they're so keen on expanding their fanbase north, then re-base the NRL club to the Sunshine Coast and own that fast growing region. Otherwise, don't be fearful, embrace their historical identity and locale of Redcliffe.

If they continued for years trying to be for both without a name, one day the Falcons will have an NRL team, and their SC market share will disappear anyway. Back to Redcliffe, whom they tried to distance from in ways. Better to just be Redcliffe from the outset. Being called "The" doesn't fool anyone, nor make a difference in itself versus being called Redcliffe when it comes to having a presence in SC, expanding their fanbase with alliances, school and mall meet and greets, interaction with junior teams, their supporter gear heavily placed in SC stores. Named "The" or Redcliffe won't affect the numbers or perception.

Meanwhile...I'm also philosophizing about the whole "what makes a good name" topic. Clubs often over-think it with those bland generic names which often create confusion instead. West Coast Eagles, West Harbor Pirates, Western Bulldogs, Wests Tigers. Instead, names like Essendon, Bondi, Arsenal, Redcliffe, Miami, San Francisco, Collingwood, St George, are specific place names that are unique nationally/internationally, make for a perfect name to have, and have strong identities that non-region fans attach to despite that. The Dragons, Magpies, Bombers, and NFL teams like Steelers, Cowboys, Raiders....they all have a huge nationwide following despite having specific place names, some of which are merely a suburb. Realize then that Redcliffe is actually a similarly good unique name. Their fanbase will grow over time more due to on field success and having iconic elements like jersey, colors, nickname. When today's kids have kids of their own, that will also mean water under the bridge in terms of how the club is now perceived. Now a direct Brisbane-based NRL rival to the Broncos to choose over.

When I lived in the US, places like Bondi, Maroochydore, Coolangatta, Wollongong were more well-known than even capital city names. Same how in Australia names like Chicago and Miami are well-known and romanticized about. All those indigenous names (Native American or Australian Aborigine) have that iconic element to them. Even English names can be unique, like Arsenal, Redcliffe, Essendon. The Roosters should've renamed to Bondi Roosters for the mere popularity/fame of that name. Reckon they would've attracted more fans than a bland Sydney. A name being specific to a suburb or town isn't a reason why it doesn't attract fans outside it. Clubs mistakenly think it does or would.

Sure, fan bases are mostly derived by region. But what makes The Dolphins fan growth difficult is that an old well-known state club (Dolphins) are being plonked into a 100 year old national comp, and in a region where there is already competition from existing clubs like the Broncos and Titans. SEQ already knows the Redcliffe Dolphins, have biases against both the town and the football club. Like Port Adelaide Magpies. Imagine if a hated Glebe FC was promoted to the NRL, plonked into a Sydney market with many rival fanbases. It's not that bad for The Dolphins, but it's a parallel. I often hear people worry about The Dolphins being likened to Cronulla in terms of region, population, limited growth, tho strong in juniors. Due to the dynamics of geography.

My ideal NRL expansion is that Ipswich/Logan and SC get the next two licenses. For many reasons I wont go into now. But that is a good split up of regions -- Broncos (central), Dolphins (north east), Jets/Tigers (west/south west), Titans (south), Falcons (north). That would also make it very difficult for all those clubs. Market share. An alternative would be Dolphins re-basing in SC, naming themselves SC or Maroochydore. claiming the region, investing in a stadium and HQs there full-time, as a way to not be bound to that geography of Moreton Bay/Redcliffe, especially if/when another Brisbane-based team enters next.

Well I doubt the Dolphins will relocate to SC full-time... The Sunshine Coast's growth over the next few decades will be interesting though. They are getting some super high speed international fibre optic cable direct to asia which has the potential to attract a lot of tech businesses. Could become Australia's version of Silicon Valley.

mongoose

Coach
Your only thinking of the council area. But the actual Bay extends from Southport on the GC all the way up. Thus it is really covering a large area. Either way, I do think the dolphins need to put something in front of the name. It hasn't worked in the NRL or Super Rugby. Each team that tried that including my own, has after a few years had to put something in front again. As much as they may be known as the Bulldogs or Sharks, not having a place name takes away from the club's identity. They could be any generic Bulldogs or Sharks, and in this case, any Dolphins clubs maybe not even in the same sport or country. That's why it fails.
I know there is an actual Moreton Bay and if they use that in their name I guess it could work. I think when the Dolphins claim to represent the Moreton Bay council region though I am a bit sceptical. Redcliffe has an identity, Caboolture has an identity, Pine Rivers had an identity. Moreton Bay regional council has no identity, that's from someone who lives here.

again I ask
Redcliffe the same
"The ".. will suffice

Most NRL clubs have pretty big fan bases outside of their areas. I personally am not from nor have i ever lived in the Newcastle area but im as big a Knights supporter as any

I think youre over estimating the importance of a name having to cover its fan bases home address. Its a thing of the past

Most NRL clubs have pretty big fan bases outside of their areas. I personally am not from nor have i ever lived in the Newcastle area but im as big a Knights supporter as any

I think youre over estimating the importance of a name having to cover its fan bases home address. Its a thing of the past
I disagree , the newer clubs don't so much
the old sydney clubs do because they were the only clubs around & people picked a side if they lived outside of Sydney.
& the only other factor for someone to follow a club is success , The Raiders became popular outside of their region because of their well above average success , The Storm the same.
Qlders from all over that state gravitated to the Broncos because they were the only club from that state for a while .You're an anomaly following the Knights for no particular reason.

There is no logical reason for someone from the Nthn Suburbs of Brisbane to follow a new team bearing the name of a region elsewhere.
Again , the Dolphins would have engaged marketing experts telling them this very thing. Hence not doing it