What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why aren't we making profits?

Redvpassion

Juniors
Melbourne Heart's revival has more to do with Orlando Engelaar making his debut midway through the season after being out with injury.
Could be true what your saying, but bottom line is they are owned by EPL Giants, that will get what they want when they want. Who do we have to tell Doust and Co what to do???

Minh

First Grade
"NRL Club profit strategies for Dummies", the holy grail for all CEO's.

gonz

Juniors
Why would he?
Even though I agree with you.
Lets though distinguish the Leagues from the Footy club.

Whilst they share a common denominator, they are separate entities.
Doesnt mean it cant work, but we have dinosaurs at the helm, and as much as I want Price gone... i repeat, he didn't employ himself.

The most valuable sporting "brand" in the country will or may surprise you.

Penrith... Value 46+ million.

see link below.
Now before anyone jumps on this with emotion... see the stats.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-top-20-most-valuable-australian-sports-brands-2013-12

Cut it anyway you want... its bankable.

What is the most valuable Australian sports team in terms of branding?

Or look at it another way: if a sports team had to buy their brand from someone, what would they pay?

Behind parra and raiders oh dear !
It's gotta be wrong, Canberra give us a break

saint.nick

Coach
There is absolutely no f**king way that Canberra are a better brand than us. Only in 2011 did that Covell bloke say we're the biggest NRL brand, and then last year, the likes of Parra, Canberra and PANTHERS are ahead of us :lol: The only teams who could challenge us are Broncos, Souths and Bulldogs.

bottle

Coach
Gotta spend money to make money unfortunately doust
and his board, don't want to eat into their pockets.

Agree this place should be rocking so much potential, dogs league classic example

Gotta have it first before you can spend it.

Saintisfied said:
Yeah but which report would u believe?

The most valuable NRL side, according to Mr Covell, is the St George Illawarra Dragons at $183 million.
Been pointed out numerous times that that report is from 2011, the year after our Premiership win.
About the same time Rangi was getting on a plane I think.

FlameThrower

Bench
I love my Dragons, I love old school muscle cars, I love old school 80's 90's music.
But our marketing and promotional style is stale. Roosters and Rabbits have celeb power backers and attract the media attention. Crowe is a Hollywood and Oscar star! Roosters have media and business tycoons on board.
We have not moved fast enough - look at merchandise options, we had very little until ISC came on board. Leagues Club is stuck in 1979. This should the most iconic rugby league "brand" instead it's yesterday's heroes...with that 11 in a row, and legends from the past....the past which sometimes is like a curse on this club...if u know what I mean? Sorry to rant, but this is a Board level issue, we don't appear to have the right sharp and snappy thinkers on board? Until there is generational change from top down, I can't see this changing any time soon..

saint.nick

Coach
95% of their revenue would probably come through them alone

I did an RCG course a few weeks ago, and most of the theory is about problem gamblers, but they also touch on which clubs have the most pokies. When he said the amount that Canterbury has, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I was in Rebel Brookvale yesterday
Almost more South Sydney merchandise than Manly
Looked way better than anybody elses too
Very little Dragons
Used to be lots
Our merch designers may need a little recycling

saint.nick

Coach
Souths have always been the best with their merchandise. They've been the best at a lot of things lately, they just need a premiership to top it off. There's little saints gear because who the f*** in the northern beaches is going to buy the merchandise of what is currently a loser team. It doesn't reflect little support IMO. When I was at rebel in Melbourne, we had a lot of gear for a Melbourne store. Manly had none :lol:

Since Reebok, we've always had quite ordinary merchandise. Those black STGI hoodies made by adidas were a piece of perfection. IMO ISC have improved us, but it's too generic since other teams use the same ISC designs as well. Souths have tried to be original, e.g their black caps with the gold rabbit, and their own jackets. They've got some good designers that we could really do with.

Last edited:

Damo!

Juniors
I was in Rebel Brookvale yesterday
Almost more South Sydney merchandise than Manly
Looked way better than anybody elses too
Very little Dragons
Used to be lots
Our merch designers may need a little recycling

Last time I was at Rebel Bondi it was full of Dragons gear, almost no Roosters kit. This was prolly back in 2011 though.

Saintsified

Bench
Souths have always been the best with their merchandise. They've been the best at a lot of things lately, they just need a premiership to top it off. There's little saints gear because who the f*** in the northern beaches is going to buy the merchandise of what is currently a loser team. It doesn't reflect little support IMO. When I was at rebel in Melbourne, we had a lot of gear for a Melbourne store. Manly had none :lol:

Since Reebok, we've always had quite ordinary merchandise. Those black STGI hoodies made by adidas were a piece of perfection. IMO ISC have improved us, but it's too generic since other teams use the same ISC designs as well. Souths have tried to be original, e.g their black caps with the gold rabbit, and their own jackets. They've got some good designers that we could really do with.

yeah they are the leaders in pet membership globally.

Latest posts