What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why aren't we making profits?

Cagey Mac

Bench
I do cut lesser mortals some slack Willow
IMO you don't fall into that category

I know many managers (don't you love alliteration) that are stressed beyond belief coming to terms with the changing face of the marketplace. Many too that have gone bust in trying to do so. Some are ignorant none that I have seen have shown indications of prejudice though offshoring, 457's and GST exemptions are driving many in the working population to blame those who are taking their jobs.

Some too show prejudice with the mix in selective high schools being so Asia biased but the more Victor Changs that pop up in the future the better from my self-interested viewpoint

Managers in commercial business however tend to see the market as it is and try to work with it.
Both Leagues and Footy clubs are doing their best IMO
Marketing could improve but that requires creative input that we may not have a the mo
Fiduciary responsibilities could not be in better hands (again IMO)
Back to my critique mate
You're a leader Willow so you have to cop high expectations from me (ah the burdens thrust upon us)
Frankly I'm a fan
It was your statement with which I had contentions
It didn't hold water and IMO still doesn't
Cheers
Cagey

Godz Illa

Coach
I agree with Willow in that the "changing demographics" line is a cop out. A bit of initiative and it can be not only overcome but turned into a major asset. Our emblem is a dragon, ffs

Cagey Mac

Bench
I agree with Willow in that the "changing demographics" line is a cop out. A bit of initiative and it can be not only overcome but turned into a major asset. Our emblem is a dragon, ffs

Really Godz?
Any suggestions about how they would proceed?
Thumbnail dipped in tar accepted.
I'd be really interested to see what you could offer in that area

Oh I'd add BTW that I have not heard the changing demographic "cop out" excuse from either club
I've studied the demographics for other exercises and noted the collapse of several businesses in my field of expertise over the past decade or two.

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
I doubt it's a cop out. That doesn't mean that things can't be done better though.
The opportunity to do so though might have passed the club by. It's struggling now. There was a time when that wasn't the case and that was when opportunities should have been sought. Short sightedness and/or a lack of vision seems to have prevented that.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I doubt it's a cop out. That doesn't mean that things can't be done better though.
The opportunity to do so though might have passed the club by. It's struggling now. There was a time when that wasn't the case and that was when opportunities should have been sought. Short sightedness and/or a lack of vision seems to have prevented that.

Can't disagree that more could have been achieved
Don't know what they tried frankly
The changes in socioeconomic and ethnicity demographics in the area however are pretty mind-boggling
The footy club is essentially about running a footy club
Few leagues club boards would be capable of the kind of astute marketing that would be required to address the problem.
That's why I invited input from those I respect on what they would have done.
I solve marketing problems for a living
The challenge facing the Taj is a monster frankly and one that won't be resolved without vision and importantly, an element of risk that may be beyond the board's purview.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You're a leader Willow so you have to cop high expectations from me (ah the burdens thrust upon us)
Frankly I'm a fan
It was your statement with which I had contentions
It didn't hold water and IMO still doesn't
Cheers
Cagey
Trust me, you'll be disappointed. I'm an arsehole of the highest order. Therefore, without burden. And Cagey, you and I are equals.

I hope you didn't take my jab at managers personally, it was not my intention. But it is the only reason I can think of why you are so opposed to my viewpoint.

Alas, I am a manager - small time although I enjoy the challenge. But ultimately I give credit to those colleagues who work with me, because we managers are useless without them.

Then there are those others who hold the title of 'manager', some of whom I can't work out how they got into such a position. Clever at getting promoted, opportunists on their best days, and making the money while others do the work. Some 'managers' do it for decades. Eventually, the people doing all the work move on to other jobs and the 'managers', well entrenched, have become experts at feathering their own nest. Only problem is that no real work is getting done and the company soon finds itself going down the gurglar.

Their solution?

Well the first port of call for these 'managers' is to point the finger elsewhere... any excuse will do, as long as it provides a long enough smoke screen to see them through to retirement. Then someone's mate comes along to take over, gets a few other mates of mates in to do the work, everyone hails the new regime... and the cycle starts over... until there is nothing left.

Not mentioning anyone in particular... just saying...

Cagey Mac

Bench
Thanks Willow
Being equal to an arsehole of the highest order is something that I can identify with (have you been speaking to my wife?)
Management is a tough gig for those who care and a hiding place for those who don't.
Let's hope that the club has more of the former than the latter

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The fact that Saints have to bail out the Illawarra club every year would have something to do with it wouldn't it? If they only had 1 club and 1 ground surely it would be easier to manage and more profitable?

hardbaby

Coach
Changing markets should be seen as an opportunity, not a stumbling block.

Rugby League is a game that has immediate appeal to anyone who hasn't seen it before, to ignore that based on enthic grounds makes no sense. Just look at the faces at any League game and you'll see people from all sorts of backgrounds.

It comes down to marketing, and seeking out where the strengths are.

Sadly, 'changing demographics' is often used as an excuse by managers struggling to accept their own prejudices and lazy ways.

I think it's a bit more difficult than that but the thrust of the post is true. We didn't invest when we could and missed a golden opportunity to bullet proof the business.Then when times started changing we were slow to recognise it and are now scrambling to catch up. Our management has been very poor for a very long time. The club actually isn't geared to succeed.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Was waiting for Godzy to suggest this
cross-cultural-selling-for-dummies.jpg

jenninga

First Grade
Can't disagree that more could have been achieved
Don't know what they tried frankly
The changes in socioeconomic and ethnicity demographics in the area however are pretty mind-boggling
The footy club is essentially about running a footy club
Few leagues club boards would be capable of the kind of astute marketing that would be required to address the problem.
That's why I invited input from those I respect on what they would have done.
I solve marketing problems for a living
The challenge facing the Taj is a monster frankly and one that won't be resolved without vision and importantly, an element of risk that may be beyond the board's purview.

Seems the Leagues Club has been trading a similar attitude for 50 years.It may work in Sharkies,where the local attitude I don't think has changed.
StGeorge Leagues is known for having Sizzler as it's neighbour.The bar and bistro should have been guttered and replaced with woodfire pizza,steaks etc and create an atmosphere where a family can eat through the week and enjoy the experience.Plasmas ,background music,make it a hip place for people to meet outside footy days.
No,they splash some paint ,change the furniture ,same shit attitude and they expect to do business.And don't get me started on that Chinese restaurant where a mate got food poisoning.
It's about moving with the times,any business needs rejuvenating over time.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think it's a bit more difficult than that but the thrust of the post is true.
Thanks hardbaby. Yes, it was an attempt to rant and be understood at the same time... in 200 words or less.

I've never been a good scholar. If only I'd gone to business school, then I'd have a certificate to show for all the hard work. ;-)

saint.nick

Coach
Seems the Leagues Club has been trading a similar attitude for 50 years.It may work in Sharkies,where the local attitude I don't think has changed.
StGeorge Leagues is known for having Sizzler as it's neighbour.The bar and bistro should have been guttered and replaced with woodfire pizza,steaks etc and create an atmosphere where a family can eat through the week and enjoy the experience.Plasmas ,background music,make it a hip place for people to meet outside footy days.
No,they splash some paint ,change the furniture ,same shit attitude and they expect to do business.And don't get me started on that Chinese restaurant where a mate got food poisoning.
It's about moving with the times,any business needs rejuvenating over time.

This. I mean ffs, you go to Canterbury Leagues and it's almost like a mini hotel resort. All the Saints have done is change the f**king fit out a little bit. Saints have one chinese restaurant and a bistro, whereas Canterbury have got Chinese, and wood fire pizza, and steak and etc etc. They don't even compare.

saint.nick

Coach
It's the same at Panthers now; so much nicer than St.George leagues based on the pics I've seen and word of mouth. That place has made Penrith apparently the biggest club in Australia now.

TruSaint

Referee
Changing demographics is the face of Australia and has been for decades.
Had you asked my father, 60 years ago, when he arrived here from a soccer crazy nation, he would be following RL, he would have laughed.

For the last 40 plus years my family has supported the Saints as whole. Yep even family memberships.
I have found that we have one of the most diverse fan base in the league, and I contribute that to several tangible "assets".

1. Our history... Goes without say that a new member to this country would want to affiliate him/her self with a club that held so many records. That is the catalyst at first, then we are hooked.

2. Our name. It is not regional. Whilst St George as we know it as a precinct in NSW, it is generic name with a global symbol. Yes of course the locals will love the club, but it transcends borders.

The Greeks, Italians, Lebanese, Portuguese etc didnt jump on the bandwagon straight away, but have a look at our stands and the wonderful diversity of nationalities. The same will apply to our fastest growing intake, our Asian brothers and sisters. There are plenty who like the NRL, and our brand / history will slowly grow their membership and support base.

If any club can "capitalise" on our multicultural base, its us.

Manly means Manly, we all know where Canberra is, Penrith and Parramatta are cities with defined borders.
Yes they may get the occasional out of town supporter, but more likely than not those regions will not enjoy our appeal.

saint.nick

Coach
Where's your family from?
Saints and Dogs definitely have the most culturally diverse fan bases in the league.

Latest posts