What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why aren't we making profits?

Acka

Coach
This. I mean ffs, you go to Canterbury Leagues and it's almost like a mini hotel resort. All the Saints have done is change the f**king fit out a little bit. Saints have one chinese restaurant and a bistro, whereas Canterbury have got Chinese, and wood fire pizza, and steak and etc etc. They don't even compare.

But are those facilities owned by the club or is it space that is rented out. I'm very sure that Canterbury Leagues relies a lot on poker machines as does every other club in NSW. Souths Leagues tried to go a pokie free route and now they are no longer. Also the demographics of Campsie have changed dramatically over the past 20 years. For example 20 years ago it was mainly Lebanese and Greeks living there now it is Asians. Also having family that live in the Canterbury Bankstown District I can tell you the local pubs are very bad where if you do live in that area and it is a very big area you have 3 options:

Revesby Workers
Bankstown Sports
Canterbury Leagues

And they are all quite a fair distance away from each other. I used to live in Hurstville and I had a choice of 5 pubs/clubs to have a beer at and then there were the licenced establishments in neighbouring suburbs like Penshurst and Allawah

Last edited:

saint.nick

Coach
But are those facilities owned by the club or is it space that is rented out. I'm very sure that Canterbury Leagues relies a lot on poker machines as does every other club in NSW. Souths Leagues tried to go a pokie free route and now they are no longer. Also the demographics of Campsie have changed dramatically over the past 20 years. For example 20 years ago it was mainly Lebanese and Greeks living there now it is Asians. Also having family that live in the Canterbury Bankstown District I can tell you the local pubs are very bad where if you do live in that area and it is a very big area you have 3 options:

Revesby Workers
Bankstown Sports
Canterbury Leagues

And they are all quite a fair distance away from each other. I used to live in Hurstville and I had a choice of 5 pubs/clubs to have a beer at and then there were the licenced establishments in neighbouring suburbs like Penshurst and Allawah

I don't know, I was just trying to merely compare the quality of the two clubs.

saint.nick

Coach
I do know that Canterbury has a f*** tonne of poker machines though, one of the highest tallies in NSW.

TruSaint

Referee

Revesby Workers
Bankstown Sports
Canterbury Leagues

Canterbury Leagues ( and its subsidiaries), made a bold call many years ago. They wanted to have the Star City of the south west. They acquired properties on Bridge road and paid above market to ensure they secured the space. In hindsight, it was brilliant. I dont profess to know the relationship, financial or other between the leagues and football clubs, but i suspect its pretty tight.

Saintsified

Bench
Canterbury and St George district have pretty much the same demographic, and I would say the Canterbury demographics would be slightly poorer, so therefore with all things being nearly equal on that front it then comes down to management....they have big thinkers and we have dinosaurs.

hardbaby

Coach
Yep. I went to school with Dave McIntyre and know the Doggies set up pretty well. In terms of business acumen and marketing nous, they are miles ahead of us.

TruSaint

Referee
Alas, I am a manager - small time although I enjoy the challenge. But ultimately I give credit to those colleagues who work with me, because we managers are useless without them.

Then there are those others who hold the title of 'manager', some of whom I can't work out how they got into such a position. Clever at getting promoted, opportunists on their best days, and making the money while others do the work. Some 'managers' do it for decades. Eventually, the people doing all the work move on to other jobs and the 'managers', well entrenched, have become experts at feathering their own nest. Only problem is that no real work is getting done and the company soon finds itself going down the gurglar.

Their solution?

Well the first port of call for these 'managers' is to point the finger elsewhere... any excuse will do, as long as it provides a long enough smoke screen to see them through to retirement. Then someone's mate comes along to take over, gets a few other mates of mates in to do the work, everyone hails the new regime... and the cycle starts over... until there is nothing left.

Not mentioning anyone in particular... just saying...

I have been punished a few times on several forums about "employee" moral.

But what you have said Willow, is the essence of management. Be it an international conglomerate or a small business.

May I suggest to those whom intent researching the ins and outs of staff moral.
Do yourselves a favour, and for less than $15, you can buy a book worth millions.

Moments of Truth... by The president and CEO of Scandinavia Airlines, Jan Carlzon.

Disclaimer... I have no affiliation, with this book, have never met the man. If, you want to build a team that "feels" part of your business, then please read it.

gonz

Juniors
Seems the Leagues Club has been trading a similar attitude for 50 years.It may work in Sharkies,where the local attitude I don't think has changed.
StGeorge Leagues is known for having Sizzler as it's neighbour.The bar and bistro should have been guttered and replaced with woodfire pizza,steaks etc and create an atmosphere where a family can eat through the week and enjoy the experience.Plasmas ,background music,make it a hip place for people to meet outside footy days.
No,they splash some paint ,change the furniture ,same shit attitude and they expect to do business.And don't get me started on that Chinese restaurant where a mate got food poisoning.
It's about moving with the times,any business needs rejuvenating over time.

Gotta spend money to make money unfortunately doust
and his board, don't want to eat into their pockets.

Agree this place should be rocking so much potential, dogs league classic example

TruSaint

Referee
Gotta spend money to make money unfortunately doust
and his board, don't want to eat into their pockets.

Agree this place should be rocking so much potential, dogs league classic example

Why would he?
Even though I agree with you.
Lets though distinguish the Leagues from the Footy club.

Whilst they share a common denominator, they are separate entities.
Doesnt mean it cant work, but we have dinosaurs at the helm, and as much as I want Price gone... i repeat, he didn't employ himself.

The most valuable sporting "brand" in the country will or may surprise you.

Penrith... Value 46+ million.

see link below.
Now before anyone jumps on this with emotion... see the stats.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-top-20-most-valuable-australian-sports-brands-2013-12

Cut it anyway you want... its bankable.

What is the most valuable Australian sports team in terms of branding?

Or look at it another way: if a sports team had to buy their brand from someone, what would they pay?

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Ive seen that report and wish I could believe it.

Mind you, do I believe we are worth more. Sh.. yeah.
Problem is we cant translate it to money.
We have a brand, a logo, a history that is second to none.
I ask you now, who ( expect for a billionaire tragic), would buy this Club
the way its being run.

saint.nick

Coach
Who bloody knows. At least we know that our actual name itself is more famous than any other team in the competition, bar South Sydney. Saints and Souths are the real Man Utd of the NRL

TruSaint

Referee
Who bloody knows. At least we know that our actual name itself is more famous than any other team in the competition, bar South Sydney. Saints and Souths are the real Man Utd of the NRL

Nick, you may have or not.
Travel abroad and see how many people know Souths...
Then don our jersey...
Our brand recognition (different to value of club), is second to none.

And please don't mention Man U in this ....
They lost to Olympiacos FFS. (just joking bro).

saint.nick

Coach
Nick, you may have or not.
Travel abroad and see how many people know Souths...
Then don our jersey...
Our brand recognition (different to value of club), is second to none.

And please don't mention Man U in this ....
They lost to Olympiacos FFS. (just joking bro).

So you're implying we're more recognisable than Souths? I'd assume we're only recognisable in the north of England, and I've never been there. I was very close to not using Man Utd as a metaphor for us, due to their current season (and to my absolute delight), but I guess after one season they're still a global powerhouse.

TruSaint

Referee
So you're implying we're more recognisable than Souths? I'd assume we're only recognisable in the north of England, and I've never been there. I was very close to not using Man Utd as a metaphor for us, due to their current season (and to my absolute delight), but I guess after one season they're still a global powerhouse.

Yes we are.
Im no Man U supporter either.
But walk down the Streets of NY, Tokyo, London, etc, and you will will be pulled over every now and then.
Our own player, M Cooper said.... " we are the Man U of Oz footy ".
We are...
Watch his first interview in STV.

Redvpassion

Juniors
The redv jersey along with its heritage and pride should be recognised in the sporting arena around the world. To be compared by coops as the "Man Utd" of oz is not wrong. Heck being compared with any famous clubs around the world is not wrong. The dragons heritage and pride alone should be its own marketing tool and should be attracting those kinds of comparissons. That what it's so baffling into why we are struggling in the financial sector of things. I'm up for privatizing our club. That way it cleans out the crap and everyone is put on notice. Yes it has it's positives and negatives but I think that would be the way to go in future. Take a look at the A-League. Melbourne heart for eg. Bought by one of the giants of epl and the whole team is on notice. All of a sudden they are winning games.

woodley_11

Juniors
Take a look at the A-League. Melbourne heart for eg. Bought by one of the giants of epl and the whole team is on notice. All of a sudden they are winning games.

Melbourne Heart's revival has more to do with Orlando Engelaar making his debut midway through the season after being out with injury.