What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why can't rugby league get a crowd like that???

Tommy Smith

Referee
Misty Bee said:
I'd reckon Cricket in Sth Africa and Zimbabwe would make as big a mark as Soccer does elsewhere.

BTW, Asia INCLUDES the Subcontinent. So I rest my case.
Have you seen the crowds at the cricket in South Africa? No-on watches the sport over there. South Africa are HOSTING the next football WC. This will be the biggest event in their sporting history and they cant wait. They love the sport and it is number one over there by some distance.

On the whole it is also easily Asia's number one sport. Certainly through the middle east and most of South-East Asia and Asia Pacific. So definately most do prefer football.

ali

Bench
Misty Bee said:
I'd reckon Cricket in Sth Africa and Zimbabwe would make as big a mark as Soccer does elsewhere.

BTW, Asia INCLUDES the Subcontinent. So I rest my case.

I love my cricket, but you've got to be joking. There would even be more soccer players in Zimbabwe and South Africa than cricket players. Soccer is the number one sport in South Africa. Ahead of Union and cricket. Of course, it's the black game, so your average south african we'd be likely to meet in London no doubt wouldn't admit to it. Cricket in Zimbabwe is tiny.

It is the number one game every where else in Africa. I'd be willing to guess soccer is about 40 times bigger in Africa than cricket.

Asia is tough to call. Probably about 1.4 billion people between India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka in favour of cricket. But China is well and truelly in soccer's corner, and Thailand and Indonesia are mad about soccer.

ali

Bench
Jake the snake said:
I'd like to back your comments up. I have been to GF's and Origins but Wedenesday nights Socceroos game was something special that will never be repeated again. It's very rare that 82000 fans vent there fury at the opposition team all in one go. It was an honor to be apart of and a night that i will never forget. Amazing!!

As another season ticket holder and regular attendee of big RL events I completely agree. What a night that was!

Misty Bee

First Grade
Yes, but in grand finals you get people goin for both sides, so when a side scores, you'd get half the fans silent, and half going nuts. And vice versa when the opposite happens.

Average the crowd reaction when Australia scores to when Uraguay scored.

ali

Bench
I'm being trying to compare what we went through on Wednesday night, to Cronulla winning the Grand Final. It's a similar time period of heartache. I'd say it could come close, but I don't think our fans could generate quite that amount of passion, even within the 10000 or so people we'd get sitting together in the stadium. Soccer fans have had to put up with so much sh*t. They not only wanted their country in the world cup, but most would have known they needed to win for their sport. I reckon the combo is what created the brilliant passion and atmos on display last week.

melon....

Coach
ali said:
I'm being trying to compare what we went through on Wednesday night, to Cronulla winning the Grand Final. It's a similar time period of heartache. I'd say it could come close, but I don't think our fans could generate quite that amount of passion, even within the 10000 or so people we'd get sitting together in the stadium. Soccer fans have had to put up with so much sh*t. They not only wanted their country in the world cup, but most would have known they needed to win for their sport. I reckon the combo is what created the brilliant passion and atmos on display last week.
1 difference Ali. Wednesday night happened. The other hasnt and never will.

iggy plop

First Grade
Southern Rooster said:
The rugby league has it's real (as far as the fans are concerned) as the origin and the real passion is there at those games. Go to Telstra or Suncorp for Origin and you'll get something a bit like Wednesday night. But I doubt you will ever see anything like last night for a while now.

Will be interesting to see how the Socceroos crowds react to them when going through Asia.

Go to a Sydney FC game and you will never experience such a night ever again. The hot dogs are sensational.

Raider_69

Post Whore
iggy plop said:
Go to a Sydney FC game and you will never experience such a night ever again. The hot dogs are sensational.

pfft, nothing on the Brisbane Roar's hamburgers... can always get a good seat too ;-)

iggy plop

First Grade
El Diablo said:
Adelaide drew a bumper crowd.

Qualifying has really got the fans rolling in.

I hear the fairy floss is the highlight of a visit to an Adelaide game. Best in the world.

iggy plop

First Grade
Footballer said:
What's the latest on the Adelaide Rams?

The team who attracted bigger crowds than the Adelaide A league side despite playing in half a competition?

I think they became the victim of a thing called Super League - unfortunately league's popularity with the big media moguls created a few problems of which it has since emerged successfully from.

Blue Fairy Floss is great at Adelaide Aces games. I think they are called the Aces. I must ring John O'Neil for confirmation.

Schillaci

Juniors
iggy plop said:
The team who attracted bigger crowds than the Adelaide A league side despite playing in half a competition?

I think they became the victim of a thing called Super League - unfortunately league's popularity with the big media moguls created a few problems of which it has since emerged successfully from.

Blue Fairy Floss is great at Adelaide Aces games. I think they are called the Aces. I must ring John O'Neil for confirmation.
Perhaps Adelaide Rams were better off playing in 'half a compeition' as the following season in the NRL they averaged a whopping 7,682. Lower than Adelaide United have ever averaged.

iggy plop

First Grade
Footballer said:
Perhaps Adelaide Rams were better off playing in 'half a compeition' as the following season in the NRL they averaged a whopping 7,682. Lower than Adelaide United have ever averaged.

Adelaide Arses. I rang O'Neil and he confirmed they are in fact the Adelaide Arses.

gaterooze

Bench
So... here is how the euphoria of the World Cup qualification has helped the A-League crowds basking in its glory:

Team / Average Crowd up until this round / Crowd this round

Adelaide / 10,174 / 9,676
Sydney / 15,516 / 16,242 (they've had 2 bigger crowds this year, and this round was against the comp. leaders)
Melbourne / 14,693 / 13,892
QLD / 16,895 / 13,004 (lowest crowd of the year)

Schillaci

Juniors
gaterooze said:
Sydney / 15,516 / 16,242 (they've had 2 bigger crowds this year, and this round was against the comp. leaders)
Rubbish. Perth Glory have never been competition leaders at all this season.

gaterooze

Bench
Footballer said:
Rubbish. Perth Glory have never been competition leaders at all this season.

My mistake. They were 3rd and Sydney 2nd (1st after drawing). Still a top-of-the-table clash, and after all the soccer excitement in Sydney it was expected to go close to selling out... rather than 2/3rds empty.

number8

Juniors
Why would Rugby league want a crowd like that. Half being bandwagoners or patriots & not supporters.

If, (& I hope it does but doubt it ever will) International Rugby League ever develops as well followed event I would hope the crowd is full because people love the game, & are there to support the Team, Code, & Country. Not just the Country.

Don't get me wrong I know soccer has a lot of passionate fans & the other half of the crowd were fair dinkum followers. But bandwagoners are weak & wouldn't want them.

Latest posts