What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why dont nrl crowds sing/chant?

langpark

First Grade
I went to a perth glory game about 2 seasons ago. Midway through the first half the poms in 'the shed' starting singing a billy joel song with a few words changed. It added nothing to the game, nor did it help the team. All it did was keep the poms busy for a few minutes. I can't see why i need to do that when i see an nrl game.
Yeah that's obviously different.

But crowds getting involved (usually in the form of chanting) if done at the right time can really boost a team, as can a vocal crowd that screams for all the 50/50 decision, but I'm going a bit off-topic now. The point I want to make though is that the vocal fans are helping their team more than those that are sitting and watching in silence.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's interesting cultural thing. Right across Europe singing at football and both rugbies is commonplace. Australia, Nz and USA it is very rare at major sports.

Having grown up on the terraces in northern England we would sing to:
1. Stay warm!
2. In the belief it would lift the players to greater effort
3. It is fun

You'd be pretty reserved to think it doesn't add to the spectacle and the experience of being at a live game. Burrow and the small group at cronulla are the only mobs I've heard come close to generating an atmosphere at a nrl or AFl game.

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
That's what I'm saying. You go there with the same mentality as you when you go to the cinema. Whereas for others, it's about getting behind their team to give them any bit of advantage possible.

I think that's a great analogy. People here go to the games to simply watch it like a movie rather than actually try to lift the team's spirits. There is nothing actually wrong with that, but one can dream that NRL crowds would one day become more vocal and supportive eh

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the design of the stadiums plays a part as well, in Europe the stadiums are designed to protect you from the bad weather and the enclosed nature keeps the noise in and amplifies it. With open stadiums the sound just dissipates. I really noticed the difference at nib between the old East stand and the new one. The new one creates a great at atmosphere whilst the old one was just the people near you you could hear.

Danish

Referee
It really is quite sad that people here actually think some singing from the crowd has an effect on players on the field. FFS guys you are not a part of the team. You are a paying fan in the stands. Your contribution to the club is purely financial.

Al the singing in the world won't turn a shit team into a good one, no matter what you see in the movies. Te only time crowds actually influence play in sport is NFL crowds making as much noise as possible when the opposition are on the attack in an attempt to stop the QB being able to call audibles. That's literally the only time. Everything else is just purely for the people doing singing's own entertainment

langpark

First Grade
It really is quite sad that people here actually think some singing from the crowd has an effect on players on the field. FFS guys you are not a part of the team. You are a paying fan in the stands. Your contribution to the club is purely financial.
You clearly haven't ventured outside of your goldfish bowl before if you really believe that.

Some fans in some parts of the world, are able to to create an atmosphere so hostile (through chanting their team or booing whenever the opposition gets it) that not only it lifts their team, but affects the opposition AND the ref. THIS = a boost for your team!

Danish

Referee
You clearly haven't ventured outside of your goldfish bowl before if you really believe that.

Some fans in some parts of the world, are able to to create an atmosphere so hostile (through chanting their team or booing whenever the opposition gets it) that not only it lifts their team, but affects the opposition AND the ref. THIS = a boost for your team!

..... Unless the team they are playing is a class obove them. Then they just get toweled up.

If you actually think players get intimidated by a bunch of drunks singing school boy war cries you are deluded. They don't even notice it, to the point that on the extremely rare occasion that a player does react (usually to a racially or family targeted attack) it makes the news. The other 99.99% of the time it's just background noise

langpark

First Grade
..... Unless the team they are playing is a class obove them. Then they just get toweled up.

If you actually think players get intimidated by a bunch of drunks singing school boy war cries you are deluded. They don't even notice it, to the point that on the extremely rare occasion that a player does react (usually to a racially or family targeted attack) it makes the news. The other 99.99% of the time it's just background noise
Mate, you're just proving me right about the 'goldfish bowl' comment when you say things like that.

I see it all the time in football matches in Europe, a team at home comfortably beats the other side 3 or 4-0, then for the away leg, struggle to get a result. If you need help understanding what I'm talking about (and that it's not 'drunks singing schoolboy war cries') simply type PAOK fans or Besiktas fans on youtube. Could be a real eye-opening experience for you! :p

Chook Norris

First Grade

If you actually think players get intimidated by a bunch of drunks singing school boy war cries you are deluded. They don't even notice it..

Absolutely no effect on players on the field?
Contribution is purely financial?

Greer conducted a field investigation of the effects of sustained crowd protest on a basketball game. Greer defined sustained protest as lasting for at least 15s and then examined performance by the teams in the 5min following each protest... the evidence indicated a notable decline in visiting team performance following sustained crowd protest (booing, whistling, or chanting insults). This data confirmed that the emotional energy of the spectators can impact game performance.
Stets, Jan E, and Jonathan H Turner. Handbook Of The Sociology Of Emotions. Print.

The presence or absence of crowd noise did have a dramatic effect on the decisions made by the qualified referees. The bias observed was in agreement with the hypothesis that the crowd is able to influence officiating (Nevill & Holder, 1999; Nevill, Balmer, & Williams, 1999). Those referees viewing challenges in the noise condition were more uncertain when making their decisions, and awarded significantly fewer fouls (15.5%) against the home team than the silent group.
Nevill, A.M, N.J Balmer, and A Mark Williams. 'The Influence Of Crowd Noise And Experience Upon Refereeing Decisions In Football'. Psychology of Sport and Exercise 3.4 (2002): 261-272. Web.

You're seriously deluded if you think that the contribution of fans is "purely financial" and and that chanting strategically has no effect on player performance or on the outcome of crucial decisions which influence a match.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Al the singing in the world won't turn a shit team into a good one, no matter what you see in the movies. Te only time crowds actually influence play in sport is NFL crowds making as much noise as possible when the opposition are on the attack in an attempt to stop the QB being able to call audibles. That's literally the only time. Everything else is just purely for the people doing singing's own entertainment

Players seem to disagree, I have heard numerous mention how the crowd "lifted" them at points in the game. You can see high jumpers and pole vaulters asking the crowd to get behind them. Don't know if you ever run a marathon or done sport to the point were your exhausted but psychologically having the crowd cheer you on does make a difference.

Danish

Referee
Players seem to disagree, I have heard numerous mention how the crowd "lifted" them at points in the game. You can see high jumpers and pole vaulters asking the crowd to get behind them. Don't know if you ever run a marathon or done sport to the point were your exhausted but psychologically having the crowd cheer you on does make a difference.

Yes mate I've run marathons, half marathons, 10k races, and completed in various other individual and team sports. Probably my highest level would be reaching state in high jump in year 12.

For what it's worth my high jump PB was set during practice. I matched it in competition once.

As for the others, my competive nature to lift against my opposition was much, much stronger than any cheers coming from the crowd. Players can talk about it lifting them psychologically, but in actual performance, it honestly doesn't help. Take marathons for example. The world record is absolutely NEVER set during the Olympics. It is set in Berlin, or perhaps London. Marathons with much smaller crowds, but perfect conditions for performance.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
Mate, you're just proving me right about the 'goldfish bowl' comment when you say things like that.

I see it all the time in football matches in Europe, a team at home comfortably beats the other side 3 or 4-0, then for the away leg, struggle to get a result. If you need help understanding what I'm talking about (and that it's not 'drunks singing schoolboy war cries') simply type PAOK fans or Besiktas fans on youtube. Could be a real eye-opening experience for you! :p

You mean teams that simply secure the easy victory first up, then field a second string team or just play for a draw in the 2nd leg, knowing they don't need to win to progress and have games they actually need to win coming up? Those games?

Or perhaps you mean the ones where a team leaves their home ground, training facilities, time zone, and climate to go play under completely different conditions that they are used to and struggle to adjust?

Seriously buddy 90% of what happens on the field is controlled by the men actually being paid to influence the game - players, coaches, officials. The other 10% is made up of physical influences, like weather, ground condition, equipment, etc. Fans carrying on in the stands has very little effect, and singing specifically (the topic of this thread) means absolutely f**k all. Even the study Chook Norris is bringing up there only refer to booing, something that NRL crowds do win great regularity

Danish

Referee
Absolutely no effect on players on the field?
Contribution is purely financial?

You're seriously deluded if you think that the contribution of fans is "purely financial" and and that chanting strategically has no effect on player performance or on the outcome of crucial decisions which influence a match.

If we were to believe this study then our a Roosters would actually win a penalty count at home from time to time, wouldn't you agree? Or don't we boo loud enough?

Noname36

First Grade
Not sure about the opposition's response to boos but the home side pretty much always kicks it up a gear when the crowd get vocal.

Chook Norris

First Grade
If we were to believe this study then our a Roosters would actually win a penalty count at home from time to time, wouldn't you agree? Or don't we boo loud enough?

You do understand that when the results of a study are found to be statistically significant it doesn't mean you'd see the hypothesis proven 100% of the time, right? There is strong evidence suggesting that, for most of the part, home-ground advantages do exist in regards to refereeing decisions

It's also important to note that penalty counts are also influenced by a variety of variables including pre-conceived biases; yes, I do believe we are unfairly rorted in penalty counts and can't seem to get a reasonable amount of penalties. However, the results of the study I posted do hold significance. You can't seriously turn a blind eye and say crowd behaviour has no impact on performance. It is a well known fact that arousal facilitates performance

pHyR3

Juniors
You do understand that when the results of a study are found to be statistically significant it doesn't mean you'd see the hypothesis proven 100% of the time, right? There is strong evidence suggesting that, for most of the part, home-ground advantages do exist in regards to refereeing decisions

It's also important to note that penalty counts are also influenced by a variety of variables including pre-conceived biases; yes, I do believe we are unfairly rorted in penalty counts and can't seem to get a reasonable amount of penalties. However, the results of the study I posted do hold significance. You can't seriously turn a blind eye and say crowd behaviour has no impact on performance. It is a well known fact that arousal facilitates performance

danish's rants make way more sesne than this.

why would teams want a home ground advantage?? bloody useless if you ask me.

lets get danish's team to play all their home game at Suncorp from now on since crowds are apparently meaningless to the result.

Latest posts