What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why dont nrl crowds sing/chant?

Chook Norris

First Grade
LU Thread #9999 trying to impose another countries culture on Australian Rugby League.

Or maybe we just think the atmosphere at NRL games is underwhelming and we're trying to think positively by improving the whole product? Whether you like it or not, a good attractive atmosphere, along with the on-field product, is crucial to attracting new fans to the game

my2centsworth

Juniors
id stop going to games all together if that started happening....
Cant stand the singing and chanting that goes on in Soccer....

Precisely, I still remember having compulsary attendance at 1st XV matches in years 7-10 and being forced to sing school songs for 2 hours.

bottle

Coach
Chanting? For f**ks sake, if I wanted to be annoyed at the footy I'd go and watch it with some of you lot.

Flapper

First Grade
Or maybe we just think the atmosphere at NRL games is underwhelming and we're trying to think positively by improving the whole product? Whether you like it or not, a good attractive atmosphere, along with the on-field product, is crucial to attracting new fans to the game

Who do you refer to when you say "we"? I think the atmosphere is fine at games, singing and chanting would lessen my enjoyment of the game.

Canard

Immortal

Trying to force someone else's culture down people's throats isn't the way to do this

And when you say we, you realise some soap dodger starting the thread as an attempt to try to put shit on Australian League crowds.

I know that the 6000 strong crowd at Hull sings a lot but Ill take 45k at Suncorp going apeshit at every big hit or try any day.

There isn't any chanting but a big crowd in Australia make English League look like park footy.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Who do you refer to when you say "we"? I think the atmosphere is fine at games, singing and chanting would lessen my enjoyment of the game.

Trying to force someone else's culture down people's throats isn't the way to do this

And when you say we, you realise some soap dodger starting the thread as an attempt to try to put shit on Australian League crowds.

I know that the 6000 strong crowd at Hull sings a lot but Ill take 45k at Suncorp going apeshit at every big hit or try any day.

There isn't any chanting but a big crowd in Australia make English League look like park footy.

I am not much of a singer/chanter myself and so I do understand where you guys are coming from, but I do strongly believe that having more noise creates a better atmosphere that draws more people to games. At the end of the day, isn't this what we want? To make each game an attractive event with a festive atmosphere? Surely this is something that the game should be attempting to achieve to attract and convert people to consistent NRL followers.

Irrespective of why OP started the thread, I believe that the end result of a better atmosphere is a shared goal we all have for the game.

Tl;dr: more noise (singing/chanting/whatever) = better atmosphere = more attractive event to attend= bigger crowds = better on-field product as players respond to bigger crowds = better NRL

Canard

Immortal
Tl;dr: more noise (singing/chanting/whatever) = better atmosphere = more attractive event to attend

Thing is though, I don't believe there is less noise.

or that chanting makes it more attractive to crowds, or that it leads to better atmosphere. A perfect example is England and the piddling crowds they get to Rugby League.

In fact all the OP and other posters are exposing is how little they actually attend live Rugby League in Australia.

ek999

First Grade
Yeah I don't think there is any problem with atmosphere at NRL matches. The only match I have ever been to that had a shit atmosphere was Bulldogs v Tigers on a Monday night last year. But that was more because there was me and 10 other people at the match

POPEYE

Coach
If you watch the darts you'd realise the Poms go to sporting events to enjoy themselves, they probably figure one way or another they're going to get their money's worth

Flapper

First Grade
The last 10 minutes of the Penrith Dogs game had such an atmosphere it made my mum think she was having another cardiac episode. Tight contests bring out just as pulsating an atmosphere as forcing it.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Thing is though, I don't believe there is less noise.

or that chanting makes it more attractive to crowds, or that it leads to better atmosphere.

That is your opinion. Just as mine is. The issue is subjective, however, I am willing to bet that the vast majority of the public find the chanting involved in overseas contests to be impressive; something they'd like to, at least, experience

A perfect example is England and the piddling crowds they get to Rugby League.

That is a terrible example. Correlation =/= causality. That doesn't prove that the chanting makes it less attractive to attend and is the cause of ESL's poor crowds. The "piddling crowds they get to Rugby League" is symptomatic of the fact that Rugby League is essentially a niche sport in England and is dwarfed in popularity by the likes of the English Premier League.

In fact all the OP and other posters are exposing is how little they actually attend live Rugby League in Australia.

Nah.. Or perhaps it exposes how you should be less close-minded to other sports. You seriously cannot tell me the atmosphere of the NRL is anywhere close to the EPL

Billythekid

First Grade
The atmosphere at most NRL games is fairly average and i think it is one of the reasons that we struggle to get bigger crowds to the games. In terms of watching the actual product of league you get a much better look at the game on tv, it also happens to be far more comfortable, cheap and less time consuming. The reason you go to the game is to be apart of the atmosphere and to be able to support your team live and in the flesh.

Not saying i want the forced atmosphere of soccer games which i'm all too aware of having recently starting attending a lot of jets game. I do wish we got crowds that were a little more into the game, if not chanting at least a bit more cheering. I'm trying to bring a few costumes and things in myself this year to liven things up a bit.

HowHigh

Coach
Agree with the atmosphere being pretty average at NRL games. Some of it might come down to insisting on playing at an 80k capacity stadium with only 15-20k attending. I have been to some higher attendance games though and thought the atmosphere was great.

A-League games actually have a good atmosphere if you're into all that singing which I personally enjoy but I just don't think that's in the culture of rugby league over here (not sure on the UK). I'm okay with that because it's still the greatest sport in the world to watch!

Last edited:

pHyR3

Juniors
atmosphere today, as a neutral, at dogs eels was pretty solid not gonna lie.

half time was entertaining too, would be far better in a 40k stadium though.

langpark

First Grade
Its a valid question.

I travelled over to the Knights vs Warriors game at Newy?

Their chant? New-Castle *clap clap clap New-Castle *clap clap clap?

The Warriors chant at home? Warr-iors * clap clap clap Warr-iors * clap clap clap

Are Australian and NZ supporters really that unimaginative ?
YES. But you cannot say that around here because they don't want to accept the truth.

A big % of fans in Aus go to a match expecting to sit back and be entertained (fair enough I suppose) rather than offering their voices to give their team as much vocal support as possible!

gallagher

Juniors
YES. But you cannot say that around here because they don't want to accept the truth.

A big % of fans in Aus go to a match expecting to sit back and be entertained (fair enough I suppose) rather than offering their voices to give their team as much vocal support as possible!

I can also go to the movies without chanting or taking my shirt off aswell. I can't see why soccer fans are upset with It.

langpark

First Grade
I can also go to the movies without chanting or taking my shirt off aswell. I can't see why soccer fans are upset with It.
That's what I'm saying. You go there with the same mentality as you when you go to the cinema. Whereas for others, it's about getting behind their team to give them any bit of advantage possible.

gallagher

Juniors
That's what I'm saying. You go there with the same mentality as you when you go to the cinema. Whereas for others, it's about getting behind their team to give them any bit of advantage possible.

I went to a perth glory game about 2 seasons ago. Midway through the first half the poms in 'the shed' starting singing a billy joel song with a few words changed. It added nothing to the game, nor did it help the team. All it did was keep the poms busy for a few minutes. I can't see why i need to do that when i see an nrl game.