What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why dont nrl crowds sing/chant?

Lambretta

First Grade
If you go with kids, one must make a respectable role model for them and not act like a complete drop kick.

I come from England and my team is West Ham who sing a whole lot less now than they did when I was young. I would be more than happy to teach my youngest daughter "I'm forever blowing bubbles". My eldest daughter, who is 12, knows the song and laughs at me for singing it cos she cant understand why we celebrate being hopeless.

I did take my youngest to Sydney FC and she absolutely loved the atmosphere. The singing and the chanting kept her interested long after the game did.

i took her to two league matches and there was no singing and she wanted to leave 20 minutes in. I had to bribe them to stay till half time then I left the game and watched the second half on TV

Joining in the singing adds to the atmosphere and as long as the lyrics are clean I'm fine to do it with my kids. it doesn't make you a drop kick.

God-King Dean

Immortal
...my team is West Ham....

Jim-Halpert-Darryl-Philbin-Fist-Bump-The-Office.gif

WireMan

Bench
Having sat next to an English fella on the train heading to a WSW game, he told me the truth as to why they chant.

They live in on a muddy, cold, damp island surrounded by miles and miles of squat housing commission on top of one another, where all they have - as many don't have an education or employment - is their football team. They barely get blue sky in the middle of summer and are severely Vitamin D deficient. They live vicariously by the fortunes of their team or X-Factor contestants. Individual football players make more money than some whole towns. But the team means everything to the town because if Town A beats Town B, with everything else being so even and so miserable, the only have the satisfaction of the one-upmanship of winning on a cold, dreary, damp Saturday afternoon. Everything is shit in England - the poor quality food (a diet of Tizer, hot chips, crisps and boiled sweets), the poor quality water (no fluoride - I mean, really?), the poor quality of their other sports in cricket and national football team. In fact, it won't be long before you're being asked to sponsor poor waifs in England and UNICEF to 'adopt an English kid'.

So be kind to the poor chanting English folk.

The poor fella then looks at me and notes that here in Australia we have endless blue sky, temperate weather, heaps of hot chicks and miles of beaches. We don't need to chant because we're comfortable in our own skins basking in the greatness that is Australia. Truly, it is awesome. Even if your footy team is running stone motherless last...f**k it's great to be Australian.

:lol:

He forgot the whippets. Everyone here has one.

Other than very believable except the bit about an English man admitting his town is equal to the other one.

Every Englishman knows his town is better than everywhere else in the world. It sells the best pie and peas to!!
The football just proves it.

He forgot the whippets. Everyone here has one.

Other than very believable except the bit about an English man admitting his town is equal to the other one.

Every Englishman knows his town is better than everywhere else in the world. It sells the best pie and peas to!!
The football just proves it.

England's never been the same since they re-named the Marathon bar.

Last edited:

Knight4life

Juniors
" [insert name] takes it up the a*se,oh a doo daa day" used to get a fair run on the hill at marathon back in the day.
Oh how times have changed :(

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Are Australian and NZ supporters really that unimaginative ?

well we have that aussie aussie aussie chant as a national chant so yes i'd say you answered your own question

It's the same reason I don't stand up, turn around and jump up and down for a minute at games.

but that shows how cool you are. 10 points if you break the seat and ruin it for everyone. peer pressure is bad m'kay

" [insert name] takes it up the a*se,oh a doo daa day" used to get a fair run on the hill at marathon back in the day.
Oh how times have changed :(

damn political correctness

i liked in the recent world club series the warrington fans (i think) were chanting "the referee's a wanker"

i think they chant (and riot) in soccer cos its so f**king boring.

Canard

Immortal
LU Thread #9999 trying to impose another countries culture on Australian Rugby League.

Joining in the singing adds to the atmosphere and as long as the lyrics are clean I'm fine to do it with my kids. it doesn't make you a drop kick.

yeah.

part of the problem overseas, is when you start singing...and get all ultra...you have all the racist stuff come up straight away, or other offensive shit.

i went to one game at white Hart Lane in 2012. heard the following

- Anti semetic chants from chelsea supprters. l
- racist adebayor chants from chelsea supporters
- homophobic songs from tottenham fans alluding to chelsea fans all being gay prostitutes
- confusingly racist pro adebayor chant, from tottenham fans. odd to say the least.
- tottenham fans singing in the pubs pre game about arsen wenger (arsenal manager) who's team wasnt involved in the match, being a pedophile. there were like three different ones as well.

not all of it is good.

papabear

Juniors
I come from England and my team is West Ham who sing a whole lot less now than they did when I was young. I would be more than happy to teach my youngest daughter "I'm forever blowing bubbles". My eldest daughter, who is 12, knows the song and laughs at me for singing it cos she cant understand why we celebrate being hopeless.

I did take my youngest to Sydney FC and she absolutely loved the atmosphere. The singing and the chanting kept her interested long after the game did.

i took her to two league matches and there was no singing and she wanted to leave 20 minutes in. I had to bribe them to stay till half time then I left the game and watched the second half on TV

you should probably sit near the supporters bays then?

Jason Maher

Immortal
yeah.

part of the problem overseas, is when you start singing...and get all ultra...you have all the racist stuff come up straight away, or other offensive shit.

i went to one game at white Hart Lane in 2012. heard the following

- Anti semetic chants from chelsea supprters. l
- racist adebayor chants from chelsea supporters
- homophobic songs from tottenham fans alluding to chelsea fans all being gay prostitutes
- confusingly racist pro adebayor chant, from tottenham fans. odd to say the least.
- tottenham fans singing in the pubs pre game about arsen wenger (arsenal manager) who's team wasnt involved in the match, being a pedophile. there were like three different ones as well.

not all of it is good.

Nothing better to do in London than be a racist merkin. At least, that's what I gather from the fact every single London club seems to be locked in a death match with every other London club to have the worst fans.

Last edited:

ed313909

Juniors
id stop going to games all together if that started happening....
Cant stand the singing and chanting that goes on in Soccer....

Latest posts