What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why dont nrl crowds sing/chant?

Paullyboy

Coach
I agree on some points Danish makes, but to say crowd noise doesn't impact results is silly. A lot of referees blow a penalty if a crowd boos for long enough.

JF_Henson_Hill

Juniors
At Melbourne Storm we DO sing all game. The atmosphere at the Swans Street End at matches was often sensational. We are ALL diehard Storm & rugby league fans but are also football supporters & wanted to bring across the singing culture from the A-League to the the NRL.

https://youtu.be/8WSov0x1EM8?list=FLixDg1lg_tJfaW4mygc4_7g

Sadly Melbourne Storm have gone and destroyed our support by bringing in set seating for Bay 37 38 & 39 at AAMI Park, thus forcing our group to move to the corner under the scoreboard. To say that we are shattered by this is an understatement.:shock:But what can we do. Storm are run by AFL people now & AFL people = revenue revenue revenue :x

JF

FearTheVee

Juniors
whats this ...a ham sandwhich?

B_jvzB6U8AAFqC6.jpg

Just wow - that is truly dreadful [Action: shakes head and points laughing at Sharks fans]

Danish

Referee
danish's rants make way more sesne than this.

why would teams want a home ground advantage?? bloody useless if you ask me.

lets get danish's team to play all their home game at Suncorp from now on since crowds are apparently meaningless to the result.

We have a pretty damned good record at Suncorp actuallly. Wouldn't be a bad thing. Unfortunately we haven't played the broncos at home much in recent years although the few games we have up there have been cracking victories (2010 and 2013 being particularly nice memories).

Danish

Referee
I agree on some points Danish makes, but to say crowd noise doesn't impact results is silly. A lot of referees blow a penalty if a crowd boos for long enough.

They are always 50/50s though, and refs get them wrong/right (depending on who you are supporting) in equal measure regardless of what ground a game is being played at

It would be good if supporters could come up with some songs - you see it in Football and the Barmy Army come up with some very clever songs.

Theknightsrule7

Juniors
In Newcastle we have the potential to get something going again. Back in 2019 against south sydney at homebush a large proportion of the away bay stayed back and chanted and sung a few things.

One of the big issues is alot of my friends who would be keen all have reserved seats at home games whilst I stand on the south hill.

But I do believe reactive style chants eg is this a library, is a library or we love (team name) we do have a place at nrl games.

I'd just stand clear of doing songs that go over a minute in rugby league as too much can happen in a minute.

Parra's Song:

When I was in W*nkbest,
Couldn't see any hair.

You're just like Sterlo,
Your dome makes me blind,
You flop like a Hindy,
In a trophy-less world.

86' was speshal
So f*cking speshal

But I'm a Bea,
I'm a Baldo,
What the hell am I doin' here?
I don't belong here (Grand Final Day),

Trophy makes me happy,
Trophy is what I want

86' was speshal,
So f*cking speshal

But I'm a Bea
I'm a Baldo
What the hell am I doin' here?
I don't belong here (Grand Final Day)
I don't belong here (Grand Final Day)

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think it's an NRL thing. It's more an Aussie sport thing (A-League notwithstanding, which is chock full of foreigners who are already predisposed to it). I can't recall ever seeing an AFL crowd chanting or singing either.
Yeh, too busy chatting or on their phones. Only decent atmosphere I’ve heard in twenty years of nrl games was at parra v penrith last year for the first 20mins. Rest like a mausoleum.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Raiders were on the precipice of developing an active support culture in 2016 when the viking clap was introduced. The crowd was doing it spontaneously, a figure head had developed to lead the crowd, they were starting to develop doing other things in unison, etc, but the club sucked the life out of it by making it as corporate as possible.

Frankly it almost seemed intentional, like they wanted it to be a corporate charade rather than genuine spontaneous crowd participation, because they wouldn’t be able to control it if it was genuine active support.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The second reply to this thread was correct BTW.

For whatever reasons it’s not a phenomena that developed in Australian culture, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

I’d speculate that it’s not a thing in Australia because a high percentage of soccer matches are snoozefests and the crowd needed way to entertain themselves.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The second reply to this thread was correct BTW.

For whatever reasons it’s not a phenomena that developed in Australian culture, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

I’d speculate that it’s not a thing in Australia because a high percentage of soccer matches are snoozefests and the crowd needed way to entertain themselves.
Except it’s the same at union, Cricket and league games as well. it’s weird as the usually reserved British let loose at sports games and the usually gregarious Aussies suddenly become shy and quiet!

Iamback

Coach
I don't think it's an NRL thing. It's more an Aussie sport thing (A-League notwithstanding, which is chock full of foreigners who are already predisposed to it). I can't recall ever seeing an AFL crowd chanting or singing either.

You seen those A League wankers?

They don't watch the game, Just stand looking back at others in the crowd.

I pay to actually watch the game