What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Why I said no to Ricky": Lyon

Tweed Titan

Bench
I think turning down the NSW jersey is disrespectful. Most players would bite of their arms for one. I believe Parra fans aren't too fond of him either.

Hope he stays away from this team permanently now and I'm sure in 20 years time he will massively regret these decisions.

MSIH

Bench
That's true.

Lyon is a strange one. For whatever reason, the drive he has to perform for his club just isn't there at the rep level.

In another one of these articles about Lyon from a while back they talked about how he was over the travelling and all the rest of it and didn't want to spend any more time away from his family and home life than he needs to.

Maybe to him it's all just footy and he's sick of the bs and doesn't have anything to prove.

You can respect him for being up front about it. If he doesn't want to play, that's fine, don't play. At least it's not this bullshit where they were trying to pick him when he clearly didn't want to be there, that was truly f**king ridiculous.

I think you've nailed it Hooch. Nice post.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Fair point to make. I wonder if Lyon would feel the same if NSW hadn't been getting toweled up for the last 6 yrs.....?

Either way, he still comes across as being a soft merkin.

farmeister

Juniors
I think it's all theoretical anyway.

Even if Lyon made himself available for selection and was 100% keen to play, I still wouldn't pick him. He has played 5 Origin games and NSW has lost all 5 (the only other player with a record like that is B. Morris). I don't ever remember him having a good game for NSW in any of those 5.

He may be a great club center for Manly, but he has never been able to carry that form over to Origin. Perhaps his game is too dependent on the structure provided for him by his Manly teammates. Perhaps his game is not suited to the faster pace of Origin. Whatever the reason, I don't blame Jamie Lyon for it. But that's just the way it is, and there's no point pretending otherwise.

Personally, I'm sick of how the Nine commentators go on and on about what a great center he is and how tragic it is for NSW that he's not available for selection. If he had never played for NSW, that would be a fair comment. But he has played for NSW (5 times!) and never achieved anything as far as I can remember. If a player has been ineffective for NSW for 5 games, what makes Ray Warren, Phil Gould, or anyone else think he would suddenly turn that around in his 6th game?

Rant over.

KennyatWembley

Juniors
He has been a quality centre for years (since he played for Australia) and why he hasn't been made more welcome by NSW (pre- his leaving the NRL) and thus a fixture is a mystery to everyone but NSW.

Last edited:

bottle

Coach
He has been a quality centre for years (since he played for Australia) and why he hasn't been made more welcome by NSW (pre- his leaving the NRL) and thus a fixture is a mystery to everyone but NSW.

Did you read the article? He was asked by the NSW coach why he wouldn't make himself available, it was HIS choice, not that of the NSW selectors.

Shorty

Staff member
I think, with turning down Origin, Lyon had stability in mind.
With the decisions this guy has made in the past, I get the feeling that he's not the most mentally strong player.

He has a family and he wants stability, he has it at Manly where he can work on his game without too much stress and the criticisms he gets there are within the realms of dealing with.

no name

Coach
That can't be the reason. There has to be more to it.

There were 3 options he could have taken:
1) ignore it
2) rip in to prove he was worthy
3) turn it up and say 'I'm not playing anymore'.

Pretty f**king soft that he took the 3rd option.

Bretto

Bench

He was welcomed with open arms, and Ricky Stuart even begged him to come back.

It would pay to read the article at hand.

Lyon said he didn't like getting criticised for his shit performances, so he had a cry and went home, never to play again. Being dominated by Greg Inglis game in game out wouldn't be my idea of a fun time either. He's a pea heart. Talented, but a pea heart.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
He was welcomed with open arms, and Ricky Stuart even begged him to come back.

It would pay to read the article at hand.

Lyon said he didn't like getting criticised for his shit performances, so he had a cry and went home, never to play again. Being dominated by Greg Inglis game in game out wouldn't be my idea of a fun time either. He's a pea heart. Talented, but a pea heart.

He did ok against Inglis in the 2008 GF.