What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why little mention of the CQ NRL bid?

Should the NRL introduce two new teams

• Total voters

CQ Italia

Juniors
IT’S STILL ALL ABOUT OPPORTUNITIES
September 3rd, 2013

I have explained the many opportunities that will be presented to the general and Rugby League publics of Central Queensland as a result of the establishment of a NRL Club in CQ. The financial benefits to the economic activities of the wider community are immense as is the social and cultural benefits that sit beside or a little downstream of the NRL business, but in all honestly these massive increases to our liveability and to our social wellbeing are irrelevant to the decision makers, the NRL, and more importantly to the current frontline stakeholders, the NRL Clubs.

http://www.cqnrlbid.com.au/2013/09/its-still-all-about-opportunities/

Quidgybo

Bench
This. Better not to bring over a tainted brand. Even if Gal was part of the deal :lol:
I think you could get away with a tainted brand if the relocation process was properly stage managed. In my opinion the key is resting the brand for a couple of years before relaunching in the new location. Eject the team from the league and replace with the most prepared of the bids standing by. The number of teams in the comp remains the same and there is no expansion cost or impact on television contracts. After two or three years, once the heat and bad publicity has had a chance to subside and fade from memory, relaunch the team in the new location as an expansion license with all the good will of bringing back a traditional team with an established fan base. Souths fans never appreciated their team as much as they did when they weren't actually in the comp.

Leigh.

Last edited:

CQ Italia

Juniors
2014 CQ Capras U/16s & U/18s Head Coach Position Applications Open

The CQ Capras are now inviting applications for the following positions:

- CQ Capras Cyril Connell Cup (U/16s) Head Coach
- CQ Capras Mal Meninga Cup (U/18s) Head Coach

Interested persons should email through to operations@capras.com.au a Cover Letter detailing which Head Coach role (you can apply for both) you are applying for, why you would like to coach the team, and what skills and attributes you believe you can bring to the role. Along with the Cover Letter should be a copy of the person’s detailed Rugby League Coaching Resume.

Applications for both positions will close at 5pm on Friday, 27th September, 2013.

All applications should be sent by either email to operations@capras.com.au or faxed to 07 4922 6433 or posted by mail to:
Operations Manager
CQ Capras
PO Box 96
Rockhampton QLD 4700

CQ Italia

Juniors
Relocation – part of the solution

When NRL expansion is discussed and as far as I am concerned this is very often, the topic of “relocation” invariably raises. By relocation I mean, asking or indeed ordering, one or more of the existing Sydney based NRL clubs to relocate to a city or region that currently does not have a NRL club based there and has the commitment to the establishment of its own NRL club.

Article - http://www.cqnrlbid.com.au/2013/09/relocation-part-of-the-solution/

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol, CQ clutching at straws! They know they are fourth faves and looking for a way to knock out a competitor. Can't blame them for trying!

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
Worse then fourth favorites.

Agreed, they'd be fifth or sixth favourite at best.

It would make far more sense to be looking at Perth, a second Brisbane team, Central Coast, a second New Zealand team or even an Adelaide team ahead of CQ.

Anyone who seriously believes an expansion team in Rockhampton would work is living off with the fairies.

There won't be any relocation of an existing Sydney team and it is very offensive to the fans of those Sydney clubs that CQ or Central Coast people keep calling for the death of that club just so they can muscle their way in.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Agreed, they'd be fifth or sixth favourite at best.

It would make far more sense to be looking at Perth, a second Brisbane team, Central Coast, a second New Zealand team or even an Adelaide team ahead of CQ.

Anyone who seriously believes an expansion team in Rockhampton would work is living off with the fairies.

There won't be any relocation of an existing Sydney team and it is very offensive to the fans of those Sydney clubs that CQ or Central Coast people keep calling for the death of that club just so they can muscle their way in.

Well I'm sorry but your going to have to be offended because further rationalization of Sydney in the NRL is desperately needed. Just because people from CQ or the CC have an agenda when they call for rationalization doesn't mean they are wrong.

The nine teams in Sydney are strangling the possible growth of the NRL and sucking up vital funds and resources to support them at the same time, eventually Sydney will have to be rationalized again in the best interests of the game whether the fans of those Sydney clubs like it or not.

The same thing will eventually happen in the AFL with Melbourne again to, sooner then the NRL in my opinion which should give us a very good opportunity to learn from their mistakes or copy their success.

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
Well I'm sorry but your going to have to be offended because further rationalization of Sydney in the NRL is desperately needed. Just because people from CQ or the CC have an agenda when they call for rationalization doesn't mean they are wrong.

The nine teams in Sydney are strangling the possible growth of the NRL and sucking up vital funds and resources to support them at the same time, eventually Sydney will have to be rationalized again in the best interests of the game whether the fans of those Sydney clubs like it or not.

The same thing will eventually happen in the AFL with Melbourne again to, sooner then the NRL in my opinion which should give us a very good opportunity to learn from their mistakes or copy their success.

You aren't John Ribot by any chance are you?

Sorry but relocating or culling teams is not the answer.

Diehard fans and most fans aren't going to just support another club or support a relocated team.

One would've learned that from the death of the North Sydney Bears.

One has to look at two areas where teams are no longer there in Newtown and North Sydney, they are both now either rugby union or AFL heartlands.

I've said it once on here and I've said it a billion times elsewhere, relocation does not work.

One has to look at the old South Melbourne VFL club that became the Sydney Swans in 1982.

The Swans were an absolute basket-case bar the mid 80's when Dr Geoffrey Edelsten and his pink helicopter ran the club.

The club had it's arse hanging out of its pants in the early 90's, it had no proper training facilities, no social club (which was a necessity for AFL clubs at the time) and the club nearly folded under a sea of red ink until the AFL stepped in and propped them up.

The club had no crowds, were stuck down the bottom of the ladder even when renowned supercoach Ron Barassi was in charge, it took the recruitment of St Kilda legend Tony Lockett and Fitzroy champion Paul Roos and the ARL/Super League war plus a 1996 Grand Final appearance for the Swans crowds to soar in the right direction.

Relocating clubs or forcing them into oblivion might be good for the game in other areas but you are just giving a free kick to other codes to take over those areas.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
One has to look at two areas where teams are no longer there in Newtown and North Sydney, they are both now either rugby union or AFL heartlands.

Did I miss the announcement that AFL and S15 have launched teams in these suburbs? How have they become alleged heartlands without teams based in them? The fact they have, if they have, would actually be a counter argument that the NRL has to have a team in every suburb to maintain interest in that suburb. If RU/afl can make them heartlands with just one team for the whole city why do we need nine in the NRL?

The Great Dane

First Grade
You aren't John Ribot by any chance are you?

Sorry but relocating or culling teams is not the answer.

Diehard fans and most fans aren't going to just support another club or support a relocated team.

One would've learned that from the death of the North Sydney Bears.

I've said it once on here and I've said it a billion times elsewhere, relocation does not work.

If done right relocation does work, multiple teams from multiple competitions across the world prove that.

Then they'll be left behind for bigger more loyal markets!

For some reason Sydney fans seem to think that they are irreplaceable when actually they are not! If there's one thing that I have learnt from the Bears (and the Swans for that matter) it's that the old rusted on fans die away and are replaced with new fans!

The fact that almost a whole generation of would be Bears fans are no longer RL fans is no bodies fault but the NRL's and the Bears themselves and if you wish to discuss that you should check this thread out One has to look at two areas where teams are no longer there in Newtown and North Sydney, they are both now either rugby union or AFL heartlands.[/QUOTE]

If that's true, then they were never heartlands the first place.

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
If done right relocation does work, multiple teams from multiple competitions across the world prove that.

Then they'll be left behind for bigger more loyal markets!

For some reason Sydney fans seem to think that they are irreplaceable when actually they are not! If there's one thing that I have learnt from the Bears (and the Swans for that matter) it's that the old rusted on fans die away and are replaced with new fans!

The fact that almost a whole generation of would be Bears fans are no longer RL fans is no bodies fault but the NRL's and the Bears themselves and if you wish to discuss that you should check this thread out [URL="http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=425700&page=4"[/URL].

The other thing that I have learnt from being a Bears fan in the past it is that if people truly love the game they will eventually be drawn back to it.

If that's true, then they were never heartlands the first place.

I am truly fed up of out of towners like you thinking that they know the Sydney market.

You are an idiot of the highest order if you think Central Queensland is a bigger and more loyal market.

They have a population of 190,000 where as the Sutherland Shire who seems to be everybody's favourite punching bag in recent years, has a population of 210,000 and continues to grow.

So the Paul Kent masturbation fest of us relocating is a load of shit.

Relocation is an American thing, it has and never will work in Australia, period.

Canberra are a world class basket case with no crowds and small membership numbers in a small market, why don't we relocate them?

Besides, the AFL may have hurt the expansionist's dreams in a way.

Expansion royally f**ked up the AFL this season where there have been major blowouts in a lot of games and GWS got crowds of 6000 this year and the Suns didn't fare much better.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The afl aren't as short sighted as RL, they aren't interested in the first year or even the tenth year, they are in it for the long haul and know that in twenty years those clubs will be established with decent supporter bases and eating into NRL fans, kids and sponsors.

It has taken Storm over a decade to finally get a decent crowd avg, these things take time and money.

CQ Italia

Juniors
I am truly fed up of out of towners like you thinking that they know the Sydney market.

You are an idiot of the highest order if you think Central Queensland is a bigger and more loyal market.

They have a population of 190,000 where as the Sutherland Shire who seems to be everybody's favourite punching bag in recent years, has a population of 210,000 and continues to grow.

Relocation is an American thing, it has and never will work in Australia, period.

Canberra are a world class basket case with no crowds and small membership numbers in a small market, why don't we relocate them?

Expansion royally f**ked up the AFL this season where there have been major blowouts in a lot of games and GWS got crowds of 6000 this year and the Suns didn't fare much better.

CQ is a bigger an loyal market. 450k total geographical pop, a lot more juniors in the NRL/NYC/second tier, more rep juniors, alot more sponsorship even at bid phase

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
CQ is a bigger an loyal market. 450k total geographical pop, a lot more juniors in the NRL/NYC/second tier, more rep juniors, alot more sponsorship even at bid phase

450K?

Does the North Queensland Cowboys know CQ are stealing their area?

According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Queensland, Central Queensland only has a population of 190,000.

You can't count Mackay which is technically more North Queensland.

You fudge the figures to suit your own arguments more the AFL fudges the Auskick numbers.

The Great Dane

First Grade

I don't claim to "know the Sydney market", but I do have an understanding of competition building and market sizes, put simply the Sydney market is to small to sustain 9 teams and the NRL is a hell of a lot less appealing to the national (and international market in our case) with 9 Sydney teams then with 6 or 4!

If you want to watch a RL competition that consists mainly of Sydney based teams then good for you, go watch the NSWcup not the National Rugby League!

It seems that I am not "an idiot of the highest order" because I think relocating the Sharks (or any team) to CQ is a terrible idea and would be a huge wast of money with little return. Further more I have never supported any expansion plans that include CQ.

I will admit that despite my better judgment I have in the past supported expansion plans into the CC, but only because of my emotional attachment to the Bears.

Both areas are possible expansion locations, but should not be considered anytime soon.

Firstly, the Sydney Swans and the Brisbane lions prove that if done properly relocation has and can still work in Australia.

Secondly, though relocation is most prominent in the USA they are not the only examples of relocation.

Financially the Canberra Raiders are completely stable and in fact we are actually quite rich, so unlike most Sydney based clubs we can honestly say that we know for a fact that we will be around in 20 years time, which gives us a lot of time to fix our problems without being a burden on the NRL, a luxury most Sydney based teams do not have.

I am the first to admit that our support has been hopeless in recent times, but any clubs would be if they had been going through the consistent off field BS that we have been for the last 15 or so years. But things seem to be changing now that Johnny Mc is moving on.

The AFL's ego lead themselves to over extend themselves, the NRL equivalent would be if we were to expand into Melbourne and geelong within the next few years, something that nobody is suggesting is a good idea.

We should learn from their mistake (one that we have made in the past) and not push for to much to soon.

BTW what has Paul Kent's masturbation habits got to do with anything?

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
The afl aren't as short sighted as RL, they aren't interested in the first year or even the tenth year, they are in it for the long haul and know that in twenty years those clubs will be established with decent supporter bases and eating into NRL fans, kids and sponsors.

It has taken Storm over a decade to finally get a decent crowd avg, these things take time and money.

Another very good point that I failed to bring up.

That population is spread over to large a geographical area for a NRL team to be sustainable.

It's unfortunate because if any areas deserves teams it's CQ, the CC and PNG but they all have their problems that make them unrealistic. On top of that, apart from PNG even without their problems they're just not logical while cities like Perth, Wellington, Brisbane, Adelaide, etc etc are without representation.

Last edited: