What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why little mention of the CQ NRL bid?

Should the NRL introduce two new teams

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
With the NRL aiming for 20'000 Avg's I doubt the idea of taking games to 10'000 venues is going to appeal to them? Pre season games maybe?

CQ Italia

Juniors
With the NRL aiming for 20'000 Avg's I doubt the idea of taking games to 10'000 venues is going to appeal to them? Pre season games maybe?
Arlc have been pushing moving traditional low attendance games to more regional cities for one off matches for the last year.... I.e cairns, mackay, and likewise in nsw.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Rockhampton Sharks anyone?

Several club bosses are already speculating what effect suspensions to key players at Cronulla could have. The NRL is furious about the Sharks pushing out its man, interim chief executive Bruno Cullen, but it will have to provide assistance. The requirement of eight matches a week under the TV broadcast deal means they could never kill off the Sharks.
But they could insist on a relocation. Contingency plans involving moves to Perth or Rockhampton have been bandied about, as much as those at League Central would deny it, but surely keeping the Sharks in the Shire remains the best option
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-body-count-20130801-2r2e4.html#ixzz2aloU3kmv

The Great Dane

First Grade
Rockhampton Sharks anyone?

Several club bosses are already speculating what effect suspensions to key players at Cronulla could have. The NRL is furious about the Sharks pushing out its man, interim chief executive Bruno Cullen, but it will have to provide assistance. The requirement of eight matches a week under the TV broadcast deal means they could never kill off the Sharks.
But they could insist on a relocation. Contingency plans involving moves to Perth or Rockhampton have been bandied about, as much as those at League Central would deny it, but surely keeping the Sharks in the Shire remains the best option

Can someone give me five good reasons why keeping the Sharks in the Shire at all costs is the best option?

No offence to Sharks fans and I'd rather they weren't in this mess, but if push comes to shove and the sh!t really hits the fan (which I doubt it will) wouldn't it be in the everyone's (except their Cronulla based fan's) best interests to see the Sharks relocate?

Let's face facts as long as Cronulla is based in Sydney they're always going to be a minority club that's a burden to the league, but if they relocate then they have the chance of a new start in a relatively untapped market where they have every chance to thrive with little competition, isn't that the best outcome for everybody?

Last edited:

CQ Italia

Juniors
Interesting, a few years go there was similar offer/talk.
Personally if it meant a chance at NRL I would accept the sharks brand if it meant getting a team earlier but whether others would do the same since people in cq support every club not just broncos and cowboys fans in cq and sharks not exactly a resounding success.

Not sure how it would work stadium wise as well... Would be many complications for instant relocation

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sadly the Sharks brandis significantly tainted. There are no benefits transplanting a fcked brand to a new area, you are better off starting fresh.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Sadly the Sharks brand is significantly tainted. There are no benefits transplanting a fcked brand to a new area, you are better off starting fresh.

I disagree.
I agree that their lack of on field success and never ending crap off field performance is a huge draw back, but I think with a few tweaks any coastal city would come to love/accept them given time.

They'd need a big re-brand for a start, a new logo, new original strip (no classic throw backs for a little while) and maybe even a couple of new area appropriate colours. Then they'd need a new star player and some home grown talent, but most of all they'd need to spend heaps and heaps of time interacting with the community, then over time their new home would start to accept them as part of the community, a little success would be a huge help to.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But why bother beyond keeping a name alive? I see no benefits and Loki g at the sharks operating board and management I see little that inspires me to see them running a new club.

BuffaloRules

Coach
It has benefits in trying to retain fans in Sydney, considering that the team would still be playing in Sydney half a dozen times a year.

Look at the AFL with the Swans & Lions still retaining big memberships and support in Melbourne.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But again in reality how many cronulla sharks fans do you honestly see becoming members of a Brisbane or Perth sharks and attending games at anz, brookvale or Allianz to follow them? I'd be surprised if it reached 500. Sorry but the negatives far far outweigh the positives in this case.

All mute anyway as sharks will be playing in cronulla for many years to come.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm not saying your wrong, but why do so many Victorians still support their old teams that moved interstate?

One thing is for certain, you will lose a 100% of Sharks fans if they just die out completely - you might save a few thousand if you retain the name- who else are they going to support?

Does it really hurt a potential Central Qld team to have the nick name Sharks?

The Great Dane

First Grade
But why bother beyond keeping a name alive? I see no benefits and Loki g at the sharks operating board and management I see little that inspires me to see them running a new club.

But again in reality how many cronulla sharks fans do you honestly see becoming members of a Brisbane or Perth sharks and attending games at anz, brookvale or Allianz to follow them? I'd be surprised if it reached 500. Sorry but the negatives far far outweigh the positives in this case.

All mute anyway as sharks will be playing in cronulla for many years to come.

Had the Bears name been kept alive in anyway, RL in Northern Sydney would not be an afterthought, tens of thousands of Bears fans would not be all but lost to the game and I'd most likely not be on here as a Raiders fan.

Though I understand what you are saying and I understand that Cronulla's situation is very different to the Bears situation, but if it means that even one fan is not left disenchanted with the game then I think a new expansion team taking up the Sharks name should they fold is a great idea.

However I do think that certain new areas should form their own RL identities over reviving an old one, so I'd be more in favor of a new Brisbane team, CC, CQ, etc taking up a folded teams moniker (whether that be the Sharks or whoever) then I would Perth (bar the Reds), Adelaide (bar the Rams), Wellington, etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You answered your own question! You follow another team because the Bears no longer exist in the NRL, that is the idea of reducing teams to reduce over saturation. The idea is fans of those clubs will hopefully move on to other teams, or at least the next generation will. There was not tens of thousands of Bears fans lost to the game. The Bears rarely avg'd more than 11k fans. The support was hardly rusted on when only 11k of them could be bothered to show up to cheer them on. Not nice and not necessary if clubs can be financially and supporter sustainable but it is the reality of the reason for getting rid of clubs.

Do you know how many Lions and Swans members there are in Melbourne? Probably very few and getting less every year as the old timers move on.

Relaity is Sharks can not get a main sponsor, have a tainted brand, have a major drugs investigation hanging over them, are seen as the perenial losers of the league, have poor management and board governance and have a very small (but loyal and proud!) fanbase (sorry Sharks fans). The idea of gaining a few hundred Sydney members compared to inheriting that baggage is simply not worth it.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
You answered your own question! You follow another team because the Bears no longer exist in the NRL, that is the idea of reducing teams to reduce over saturation. The idea is fans of those clubs will hopefully move on to other teams, or at least the next generation will. There was not tens of thousands of Bears fans lost to the game. The Bears rarely avg'd more than 11k fans. The support was hardly rusted on when only 11k of them could be bothered to show up to cheer them on. Not nice and not necessary if clubs can be financially and supporter sustainable but it is the reality of the reason for getting rid of clubs.

Do you know how many Lions and Swans members there are in Melbourne? Probably very few and getting less every year as the old timers move on.

Relaity is Sharks can not get a main sponsor, have a tainted brand, have a major drugs investigation hanging over them, are seen as the perenial losers of the league, have poor management and board governance and have a very small (but loyal and proud!) fanbase (sorry Sharks fans). The idea of gaining a few hundred Sydney members compared to inheriting that baggage is simply not worth it.

Ahh not exactly, actually not at all how it happened.

Read my post on page 8 in here for an abbreviated version of the story if your interested.http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=414320&page=

And trust me tens of thousands of Bears fans were lost to the game when they folded, just because we didn't all turn up at North Sydney Oval every second week doesn't mean we don't/didn't exist, not unlike South Sydney many (if not most) North Sydney fans do/did not live in Sydney so rarely got to see them play live, but we were their fans none the less.

taipan

Referee
And the Sharks fans will be lost to the game in Sydney,just like the Bears'fans did.
If you think they will follow a Perth Sharks,CCSharks to games elsewhere in Sydney ,you are deluded.
Lose a support base of 14,000 plus fans,plus the 3rd biggest junior rl in Sydney,then you are whitanting your home base.
Dumb and dumber idea.
Its like removing a mortar from a platoon in an area under attack(Sydney) and using it in an area where there is no such attack.:crazy:
Even Gallop understood that point.

BuffaloRules

Coach

it.

There are thousands of Swans members in Melbourne, some 30 years after they have moved.

And that's a team that had a lot longer losing culture than the Sharks up until recently.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am biased, biased against relocating the Sharks. I am not biased against relocation par se. If the NRL said it was the only way Perth would get a team and if the relocated club was run by WA with a cast iron guarantee the license would never move back out of WA then I would fully support them.

Last edited:

dev'o

Juniors
I am biased, biased against relocating the Sharks. I am not biased against relocation par se. If the NRL said it was the only way Perth would get a team and if the relocated club was run by WA with a cast iron guarantee the license would never move back out of WA then I would fully support them.

This. Better not to bring over a tainted brand. Even if Gal was part of the deal :lol:

Latest posts