What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will NZ clean up in the medal tally,,, again ?

AuckMel

Bench
It's all in your head, gb.

We love you. You guys are the greatest. You might be full of yourselves and act like yank wannabes, but at the end of the day, you blokes are ok.

Aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi!!!!

wittyfan

Referee
Aussies criticise haka 'overkill'
By Greg Ansley

MELBOURNE - Australians have been given a blunt message from New Zealand's Commonwealth Games team - if you don't like the haka, too bad.

The only way they would stop seeing it performed in Melbourne was to stop Kiwis winning any more medals, New Zealand chef de mission Dave Currie said yesterday in response to Aussie complaints of haka overkill.

"It's something that's uniquely New Zealand and I think that other countries envy us because we've got something of substance," Currie said.

"Aussie, Aussie. Aussie, oi, oi, oi doesn't quite cut it."

This is not the way the national newspaper the Australian sees it.

It was okay when the swimming team performed a haka after Moss Burmester's gold in the 200m butterfly. The newspaper even ran a picture and reported that it had spurred South Africa on to beat Australia in the 4x100m relay.

"To see the New Zealand team do the haka - it gave us all goosebumps," lead South African swimmer Roland Schoeman told the Australian.

Yesterday, after the series of haka after the rugby sevens gold and the New Zealand bronze in the women's 4x200m freestyle relay, the mood had changed.

"Far be it for an Australian to complain about the excesses of another nation at the Commonwealth Games," reporter Wayne Smith wrote, "but someone needs to tell the New Zealanders to start rationing the haka."

Smith confessed to being a fan of the haka, but he said it was being cheapened in Melbourne.

"When Moss Burmester won the 200m butterfly at the pool on the opening night of swimming, the haka performed in his honour was spine-tingling. But then the Kiwis were at it again after the women's 4x200m freestyle relay. Not to hail the new Commonwealth champions but the bronze medallists.

"What's more, it wasn't just the trim, toned, muscular swimmers performing it but some of the New Zealand support staff as well."

Smith wrote that the haka did not belong just to Kiwis because they had taken it to the world and the world had embraced it.

"And we do not want to see the New Zealand women's gymnastics team performing it.

"The haka is powerful medicine, a way of welcoming honoured guests and of intimidating foes. Don't devalue it."

Currie said New Zealand's Games athletes had a clear view about the haka.

"The first question is - too many for whom?" he said.

He said athletes saw the haka as a way of celebrating, recognising, honouring, welcoming and sending off their teammates, and an expression of the emotions they were feeling.

"The only thing that it's not is entertainment. We're not entertaining anyone. We don't do it for an audience.

"It's spontaneous. We don't have an issue with how many haka we do.

"If we win more medals, we'll do more haka."

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=4&ObjectID=10373639

Lol!

gunnamatta bay said:
What don't you understand about the term New Zealand Warriors dougie? Or NZ Breakers? New Zeland in front of your title means you represent NZ. Why are you in denial?

what the f**k, we do not have a say on what a club team calls itself! they are not the international team. how many nrl home games have the warriors played outside of auckland??

gunnamatta bay said:
A quick question for ozbash and co. I get the impression you hate us and if so why? I also get the impression kiwis have some sort of fixation about upstaging anything Australian. Am I wrong?
not that it's just the arrogance that i hate, just like america.

with the haka i suppose we shouldn't do it for dean kent who has been the nearly man (narly always getting fourth) and only just lost his dad 3 to 4 months ago. geesh aussies will sound like the english press who says the haka is too violent.

Do any of you Kiwis know if Nick Willis is running in the 1500m? He's a good shot for a gold medal. Great runner and should challenge mottram and the kenyans for gold

ozbash

Referee
gunnamatta bay said:
A quick question for ozbash and co. I get the impression you hate us and if so why? I also get the impression kiwis have some sort of fixation about upstaging anything Australian. Am I wrong?

you are wrong.
we love beating you at anything.
we hate geting beaten by you at anything.

i think you,ll find a fair percentage of kiwis cheer on aussie (some cheer quieter than others :lol: ) when nz isnt involved.

i for one would be totally lost if we didnt have an australia to play/beat/crow about.

so no gb, kiwis and aussies are tight. but dont tell anyone i said so...

gunnamatta bay

Referee
douglasallen91 said:
what the f**k, we do not have a say on what a club team calls itself! they are not the international team. how many nrl home games have the warriors played outside of auckland??

So New Zealand in front of Warriors or Breakers means they don't represent NZ? So what does it mean? Botswana?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
ozbash said:
you are wrong.
we love beating you at anything.
we hate geting beaten by you at anything.

i think you,ll find a fair percentage of kiwis cheer on aussie (some cheer quieter than others :lol: ) when nz isnt involved.

i for one would be totally lost if we didnt have an australia to play/beat/crow about.

so no gb, kiwis and aussies are tight. but dont tell anyone i said so...

:lol: I knew you really cared.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
You have to admit it's pretty grim when even your Prime Minister is too embarrassed to show her head at the games. Tony Blair is coming over. Condeleeza Rice was even here. Whats up with Helen? Little Johnny has been everwhere. So times I think he has a double.

waltzing Meninga said:
Do any of you Kiwis know if Nick Willis is running in the 1500m? He's a good shot for a gold medal. Great runner and should challenge mottram and the kenyans for gold

yes he is running he is the top ranked 1500m runner in the race, our only other gold medal really strong gold chances are vili in the shot put and the silver ferns who will be renamed the gold ferns.

gunnamatta bay said:
So New Zealand in front of Warriors or Breakers means they don't represent NZ? So what does it mean? Botswana?
it means they are trying to make more money. plus they can't be called the auckland warriors anymore since they went bankrupt.

gunnamatta bay said:
You have to admit it's pretty grim when even your Prime Minister is too embarrassed to show her head at the games. Tony Blair is coming over. Condeleeza Rice was even here. Whats up with Helen? Little Johnny has been everwhere. So times I think he has a double.

the biggest non story in the whole games, i think she has more important things to do, like run the country and offer assistant to one of our volcanos exploding.

plus she doesn't like to be seen as a terrorist http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/10/01/1127804697488.html?from=rss

or be taken as a hostage
And at Melbourne Airport, angry workers used vehicles to blockade the Air NZ aircraft in which New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark was travelling.
Ms Clark had to resort to a police helicopter to get out of the airport.

poojar

Juniors
gunnamatta bay said:

Arghh two Howard's.
excuse me while i kill myself

wittyfan

Referee
Lol!

Kiwis tagged 'tin medallists'

By Terry Maddaford

At noon yesterday the XVIII Commonwealth Games hit their halfway point with the New Zealand team already tagged the "tin medallists" - those finishing a place outside the real thing.

And unless things take a dramatic turn New Zealand could be looking at its worst return since the 26 medals from the Brisbane Games in 1982. But had all, or at least some, of the 22 New Zealanders who have finished one spot out of the medals done a tad better, things would be so different.

The track cycling team, who were expected to contribute to funding agency Sparc's hope of six medals for their sport, came up short but can boast six fourth placings.

Swimming too have had their share of disappointment with athletes in eight events just a place out of the medals.

Debbie Tanner took fourth in the triathlon but with teammates Sam Warriner and Andrea Hewitt ahead of her that was a commendable effort.

The badminton team too came up one short as did a couple of shooting pairs.

Sarah Ulmer's unfortunate withdrawal from yesterday's road time trial was almost certainly another medal lost.

The next few days give hope of a kick-start in the medal stakes.

Valerie Vili takes high hopes into the shot put circle tonight, the netball team hold the same golden hopes for Sunday.

Shelley Kitchen, already with a bronze in the squash singles, is rated a chance to add at least one, probably two, more as the women's and mixed doubles are decided.

The bowlers, disappointed with their start, still have good chances of medals in the men's and women's singles and women's pairs.

Weightlifter Keisha-Dean Soffe is a realistic hope as are the mixed doubles badminton pairing of Dan Shirley and Sara Runesten-Petersen.

Nick Willis is a chance in the 1500m at the track while world mountain running champion Kate McIlroy would only need a small improvement to go close in the 3000m steeplechase tonight. Stuart Farquhar is a real contender in the javelin.

Stung by their mediocre start, the shooters can expect a better return in their individual events with two or three realistic medal chances.

The women's hockey team too are still in the thick of it as are the men's and women's basketball teams.

Cycling road races are always regarded as lotteries but, should she recover, Ulmer and Greg Henderson carry high hopes for more medals on Sunday as the Games close.

Allowing for a surprise or two in table tennis and badminton, the count could continue to grow and maybe double towards a final count of 30 - reasonable enough but a far cry from what was expected.

Close but yet so far

New Zealand's fourth place finishers:

Athletics: Beatrice Faumuina (discus), Brent Newdick (decathlon).

Badminton: Team event.

Cycling: Jason Allen (individual pursuit), Fiona Carswell (500m time trial), Tim Gudsell (scratch race), Melissa Holt (road time trial), Ali Shanks (individual pursuit), Justin Grace, Nathan Seddon, Adam Stewart (team sprint).

Shooting: Teresa Borrell/Nadine Stanton (double trap pairs), Borrell (women's trap), Alan Earle/Jason Wakeling (25m rapid fire pistol pairs).

Swimming: Zoe Baker (50m breaststroke), Dean Kent (400m individual medley), Hannah McLean (50m backstroke, 100m backstroke), Corney Swanepoel (100m butterfly), Lauren Boyle, Alison Fitch, Helen Norfolk, McLean (4x100m freestyle relay), Lisa Daniels (synchronised swimming), McLean, Annabelle Carey, Elizabeth Coster, Fitch (4x100m medley relay)

Triathlon: Debbie Tanner.

Weightlifting: Grant Cavit (94kg class) Richard Patterson (77kg class).

Source: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10373795

wittyfan

Referee
A quick recap of the medal tally:

Australia: 54 Gold Medals, Population 20 million: 37,037 people per Gold.
NZ 2 Gold Medals, Population 4 million: 2 million people per Gold.

Latest posts