What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wing out to launch bid for NSW No.7

Raider_69 said:
Hasnt cemented a FG spot? Mate he'd be second picked behind Alan Tongue every week for canberra, dunno what you're talking about there

some of his games this year he was very poor.

he cost the raiders a game against the cowboys (i think it was them) as well.

didnt he spend some time in Premier League as well?

aqua_duck

Coach
dallymessenger said:
carney?

the kid hasnt fully cemented a FG spot yet.

hes got potential, so does mullen, buts that all they have
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

he's probably the 2nd player picked every week for the raiders behiond tongue, he is their most important player bar none

Raider_69

Post Whore
dallymessenger said:
some of his games this year he was very poor.

he cost the raiders a game against the cowboys (i think it was them) as well.

didnt he spend some time in Premier League as well?

Some of his games were quiet, i wouldnt say he had any shockers, like most young halves consistancy is an issue
And i certainly dont recall him costing us a single game this year.
He may have played one game in PL, after his return from suspension from the club. But im not 100% sure.

You maybe thinking of Campese, who did spend time in PL, did have one or two shockers and imo cost us a game against the cowboys (mind you, he also put us in the position to win it to begin with so :? )

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Yeah Carney played one game in PL after his suspension (got knocked out for his troubles too).

I don't know about costing us games but he's sure as hell won us alot of them. Played in the halves all of 2006 and every match bar the ones he was suspended last year. Has very good wraps from some big names in the game.

Gee_Up

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
Some of his games were quiet, i wouldnt say he had any shockers, like most young halves consistancy is an issue
He may have played one game in PL, after his return from suspension from the club. But im not 100% sure.

You maybe thinking of Campese, who did spend time in PL, did have one or two shockers and imo cost us a game against the cowboys (mind you, he also put us in the position to win it to begin with so :? )

On another topic- I think Campese has massive potential.

Raider_69 said:

yep, it was campese id mixed up with in the cowboys game

im not saying carney is a poor player. i just think hes young yet for origin. let him establish himself as a top half in the nrl.

having mullen and carney halves for nsw against lockyer and thurston?

Sonic Star

Juniors
adamkungl said:
Mullen was thrown in too young in a poor NSW side. Both him and Anasta suffered from the forwards getting slaughtered by a much more enthusiastic QLD side.

Anasta just sucked and shouldn't of been picked or even considered for five-eighth.
They had Bird and Carney who are 100 times better players for five-eighth.

IF Wing can impress in the 7 well I can't see why they won't give him a crack. I mean who else is there, Orford no thanks, Kimorley :lol:
Mullen? I don't think so.

Raider_69

Post Whore
dallymessenger said:
yep, it was campese id mixed up with in the cowboys game

im not saying carney is a poor player. i just think hes young yet for origin. let him establish himself as a top half in the nrl.

having mullen and carney halves for nsw against lockyer and thurston?

i know what you're saying and realistically 2009 is probably the aim for Carney as a NSW player but for mine Mullen and Carney would be just as good a bet as anything else NSW can throw up.

Bird and Anasta arnt 5/8ths arseholes, Orford chokes in big games, Wing at half is just as risky, Kimmorley's been tried and failed. TBH theres not much to work with, my theory is throw the young blokes to the wolves, Mullen's main issue was his kicking game, Carney has a sublime long kicking game, will take alot of pressure off Mullen in that regard, both are execellent runners of the football and can distribute well enough.

Would they win SOO? Probably not, but then again what halves combination in the state is capible of standing up to Thursty-Lockyer? IMO, if they are fit and in reasonable form, with the quality players around them that NSW have, Mullen - Carney is as good a hope as any for NSW

aqua_duck said:
gees imagine NSW with anasta and wing as the halves, might as well forfeit

Qld will be P%ssing themselves...what a joke.

Wing is an overated utility and nothing more..:lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
speaking of the storm, the perfect solution to the halves would be Cooper Cronk, its amazing how much depth QLD have in the halves

Gee_Up

Juniors
I think with O'Donnell and Gasnier back, O'Meley not injured and Gallen and Bird being selected again we will be a much tougher side to beat. We just need a halfback who can give us field position and offer decent 5th tackle options.

I like Farah/Mullen/Carney for 2009 and beyond for our 9/7/6 if they continue to impress- let's wait and see who puts runs on the board though (not that they seem to count with the selectors choosing the "good old boys club" each year).

imasharkie

Coach
Raider_69 said:
the future for the NSW halves is Mullen - Carney, for me, so long as both are fit and are in reasonable form, we might aswell go with it from game one and let them gain some experience, which of them plays #7 is the only question in my mind.

:lol: :lol:

A Canberra supporter calling for a Canberra player to be the NSW half. now that's something different. A bit like the call for Tongue to be in the NSW side last year and that came from a Canberra supporter too.

:lol: :lol:

Gee_Up

Juniors
Funny enough I see Wing as more a 5/8 than Halfback.

I'd take a Gallen/Wing/Bird 13/7/6 NSW combination anyday. Talk about sharp.

Gee_Up

Juniors
Was Gower hurt last season at SOO time? He would have walked into the Blues jersey and even out of form was probably our best option.

He may not be popular but Finch didn't let anyone down when he was selected either.