What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Withers signs?

greeneyed

First Grade
"Appropriate weight" has to be given to Timbo's views as he thinks rugby union is a sport.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

jed

First Grade
Kris_man said:
ffs guys, FLEGG PLAYERS DONT WIN PREMIERSHIPS!!! zillman "better than carney"??? we dont even know how good carney is!!! dobson, zillman, jay, big woop! that's like saying the Roosters don't need to sign anyone because of their hot Jersey Flegg side. the hard fact is guys, that flegg players leave to other clubs. and excellent flegg players don't necessarily make good, let alone great, first grade players.

aside from the "ffs" part, I agree with you krisman.

young players are forever being touted as the "next big thing", and while some of them may go on to greatness, dozens more will only ever play a handful of first grade games, others will become a question at a trivia night in 10 years time "who played only one game.........."

commentators like Sterlo make calls all the time of "this guy's great, I can see him as being a 200 game player", but he says that about so many players, of course he's going to get one or two of them right in the long run.

back to the original topic, considering it's been a few days with no official announcement by either the Raiders or the dragons, does anyone still believe that Withers has either signed or is on the verge of signing, or are you joining me in the "skeptics" corner?

Raider_69

Post Whore
Kris_man said:
Raider_69 said:
a bloke who cant catch and who is nothing without Giddley attack - Tahu
you're kidding aren't you?? Tahu is the best outside back in the comp, I'd kill to have him at the Raiders. and if this is going to turn into a Witt debate, then i'll have my two bobs worth: he's a gun player with a dynamite kicking game - probably the one thing the Raiders have been most lacking over the past several years.

Best outside back in the comp?
Kris man? are you high?

btw im skeptical to say the least
have been since day 1

Raider_69

Post Whore
All this talk of players that have had raps and then failed, the greg birds of the comp...got new for yas, they cant fail is our coach dosnt give them a chance

We have all talked up Carney and as far as im concerned with what little time he has had, its all been pretty right, he has played 30 minutes give or take over 3 games, and in that 30 minutes he had more structure in attack then the entire season combined!!

So far he has not failed, he isnt a sure thing yet but he has showed me enough for me to put my faith in him

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
Kris_man said:
Raider_69 said:
a bloke who cant catch and who is nothing without Giddley attack - Tahu
you're kidding aren't you?? Tahu is the best outside back in the comp, I'd kill to have him at the Raiders. and if this is going to turn into a Witt debate, then i'll have my two bobs worth: he's a gun player with a dynamite kicking game - probably the one thing the Raiders have been most lacking over the past several years.

Best outside back in the comp?
Kris man? are you high?

btw im skeptical to say the least
have been since day 1

exactly, Tahu is overrated. Dustin Cooper has signed with Newcastle and he will perform at least as good with Gidley on his inside, the best outside backs would be

Lewis
Sing
MacDougall
Rooney
King

thats in no particular order btw

Witt is nothing compared to Carney. Carney and Campese have got good kicking games so why worry.

Snoopy's appointment as assistant coach is like a huge siren telling the world that Carney, Campese etc,etc will be given the green light(pardon the pun) in 2005. They will feel more comfortable under someone who has managed the directly for the last 12-24 months. It is very clever tactics by the Raiders, as with Withers, I am not sceptical, in fact I don't lose sleep. If he signs, well good for us if he doesn't so what? we can't and won't build our team on a guy who performed well at hooker this year who is a mediocre at best pivot.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Snoopy's appointment as assistant coach is like a huge siren telling the world that Carney, Campese etc,etc will be given the green light(pardon the pun) in 2005.

i still ponder if this is half a move to guide snoops into the main role, im hoping so cause i rate Snoopy as a coach, he knows how to get the best out of his blokes, and i agree, this is a signal that the young guys are gonna get a better shake of things

BRING ON 05!!

Green Kiwi

Juniors
Hi Kris Man

Yes I have posted on RLeague but that form went to the pack and stopped posting anything related to the Raiders. Have not had much chance to post here yet but I think this forum is fantastic great posts so I will definately support it when I get the chance. Lets hope that next year is a BIG IMPROVEMENT but I really am not sure if Elliot will ever get it right. He had a poor first year good last year and useless year this season. From memory we are also yet to actually win a finals game under Elliot? is this correct.

Chippo Raiders

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
Snoopy's appointment as assistant coach is like a huge siren telling the world that Carney, Campese etc,etc will be given the green light(pardon the pun) in 2005.

i still ponder if this is half a move to guide snoops into the main role, im hoping so cause i rate Snoopy as a coach, he knows how to get the best out of his blokes, and i agree, this is a signal that the young guys are gonna get a better shake of things

BRING ON 05!!

Hmm yeah but initially this could be to get them comfortable, you never know, I want to see next year prior to passing my judgment on Elliott, one good year and one ordinary year but management are more my problem ever since their farcical handling of Davico.

Kris_man

Bench
Green Kiwi said:
Lets hope that next year is a BIG IMPROVEMENT but I really am not sure if Elliot will ever get it right. He had a poor first year good last year and useless year this season. From memory we are also yet to actually win a finals game under Elliot? is this correct.
well said. i didn't like 2002 much either - even though we got 8th (which was really 9th), it wasn't a very successful year in my opinion.
Raider_69 said:
We have all talked up Carney and as far as im concerned with what little time he has had, its all been pretty right, he has played 30 minutes give or take over 3 games, and in that 30 minutes he had more structure in attack then the entire season combined!!
This is one of a couple of exaggerations you've made tonight 69. Apart from that break he made against the Tigers, Carney did nothign in firsts this year. the other exaggeration you made was "he [Witt] is no more proven than Carney". well, for one thing, Witt has actually started a match in first grade (actually, many matches), unlike Carney. not only that, but at the close of last season, where Witt had played half the season as starting halfback, lots of people were talking about how good a player he was, including myself. this is the definition of proving yourself: he played in first grade and excelled. I'm not saying that Carney won't be a top player, to me he looks great, but at the same time he might not be what we're hoping either.

on Campese: in the semi-final against the Dragons, Campo kicked no better than Drew or McLinden have been kicking all year (which is saying something - he was pretty ordinary). he was far "outkicked" by Gorrell and Firman. hopefully what i saw was just an off night for him, because going by that game alone, there's no way he could lead a successful first grade team.

on Withers: as certain as i can be without having proof that Withers has not signed. he may be on the verge of signing, who knows, but i strongly doubt that he has already done so. one thing i know: the longer we go without an announcement, the more doubtful i get that he's going to sign with us. surely at this late stage, he'd be dying to get a bit of security as to where he's going to be next year.

Raider_69

Post Whore
so your telling me that when carney was on the park for those 30 minutes (thanks elliot you idiot) we didnt look better?
as far as im concerned Witt isnt a shadow on Carney, Witt has had plenty of chances to shine and hasnt as far as im concerned

Witt played a few good boardering average games but since has done nothing, and he best was still fairly average, all hype, carney with more game time has looked better and better, the only reason he hasnt started is because of one Mr. Elliot

under any other coach he would have by now
As for your veiws on campeese, you must be related to elliot. Give a bloke one chance and then if he dosnt do much, f**k him he is hopeless :roll: :roll:

the future of canberra is Carney and Campese as far as im concerned, more importantly Carney, campese only has to be good not great, which i think he is :clap: :clap:

If we can get a coach who know what they are doing and a Carney/Campese half combo i think we will see a return to the attacking syle of the early 90's... of corse not as good, nothing can beat that but at least we will have attacking structure

Kris_man

Bench
Raider_69 said:
As for your veiws on campeese, you must be related to elliot. Give a bloke one chance and then if he dosnt do much, f**k him he is hopeless
yeah, he's my dad.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Kris_man said:
Raider_69 said:
As for your veiws on campeese, you must be related to elliot. Give a bloke one chance and then if he dosnt do much, f**k him he is hopeless
yeah, he's my dad.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
so that would make you Jason Bulgarelli then? ;-)

well how else does the bloke get a spot!!
:lol: :lol:

thickos

First Grade
Kris_man said:
Green Kiwi said:
Lets hope that next year is a BIG IMPROVEMENT but I really am not sure if Elliot will ever get it right. He had a poor first year good last year and useless year this season. From memory we are also yet to actually win a finals game under Elliot? is this correct.
well said. i didn't like 2002 much either - even though we got 8th (which was really 9th), it wasn't a very successful year in my opinion.
Raider_69 said:
This is one of a couple of exaggerations you've made tonight 69. Apart from that break he made against the Tigers, Carney did nothign in firsts this year. the other exaggeration you made was "he [Witt] is no more proven than Carney". well, for one thing, Witt has actually started a match in first grade (actually, many matches), unlike Carney. not only that, but at the close of last season, where Witt had played half the season as starting halfback, lots of people were talking about how good a player he was, including myself. this is the definition of proving yourself: he played in first grade and excelled. I'm not saying that Carney won't be a top player, to me he looks great, but at the same time he might not be what we're hoping either.

on Campese: in the semi-final against the Dragons, Campo kicked no better than Drew or McLinden have been kicking all year (which is saying something - he was pretty ordinary). he was far "outkicked" by Gorrell and Firman. hopefully what i saw was just an off night for him, because going by that game alone, there's no way he could lead a successful first grade team.

on Withers: as certain as i can be without having proof that Withers has not signed. he may be on the verge of signing, who knows, but i strongly doubt that he has already done so. one thing i know: the longer we go without an announcement, the more doubtful i get that he's going to sign with us. surely at this late stage, he'd be dying to get a bit of security as to where he's going to be next year.

I don't agree that Carney 'did nothing'. Besides the break in the Tigers game, he also through the cutout pass to Mogg that led to Graham scoring in the Bulldogs game (his debut), which was essentially his first touch in first grade. He also took the bold option of kicking on the last tackle to win the game in that one.

Haven't had a decent look at him kicking in 1sts (Macca did all the kicking) but if you watch him steer the PL team around he is something special. Take my word for it.

Edwahu

Bench
How many of the potential halfbacks in the squad have more then 12 months experience in the position? Macca is the only one and he is a failure there. In fact we havent had a halfback who wasnt converted to the position since Finch left. Elliot has failed with all of them and hoping Carney can learn to play 7 by buying a ball playing backrower is asking for trouble.

Carney has got through reggies because he is a class above the rest of the players in the comp. Frankly the club would be stupid to not buy a experienced halfback to cover for Carney failing in the position or getting injured.

Kris_man

Bench
Edwahu said:
How many of the potential halfbacks in the squad have more then 12 months experience in the position? Macca is the only one and he is a failure there. In fact we havent had a halfback who wasnt converted to the position since Finch left. Elliot has failed with all of them and hoping Carney can learn to play 7 by buying a ball playing backrower is asking for trouble.

Carney has got through reggies because he is a class above the rest of the players in the comp. Frankly the club would be stupid to not buy a experienced halfback to cover for Carney failing in the position or getting injured.
exactly :clap: