What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Challenge discussion

Great little video. Amazing how much Wayne opens up when he wants to. Love the winter gear the boys are wearing too! Gotta get me one of those red zip-up hoodies!!

Dragon Dave

Bench
Some good coverage there, you can tell the boys are very excited about the trip and it will be particularly beneficial for the younger guys.

I'm glad King got a seat on the plane.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I'm going to watch that again to count how many times Coops' says "Ummm" and then again to count how many times he says "ya know".

Shellharbour Represent!

Ritzley

Juniors
Channel 7 showed footage of the lads arriving in London - if anyone saw it and knows whether the red hoodies are available anywhere for sale can you let me know?

Cagey Mac

Bench
I was having some difficult at around Coops age (with “ya know”) myself and I don’t know if you noticed that when Nathan Fien comes on, he does the same thing.
I guess they date themselves a little, given the prevalence nowadays for “OMG like did you see like he was like how many times did he like say like ya know like OMG” but that’s more the language of teen and tween girls.
I had two friends that we’re determined to break me of the “ya know” habit
Every time I said it, they’d repeat it
Took about a week and like ya know like I never like say it anymore umm, I think
Coops has got a good head for telly
Someone needs to try the repeat technique (and learn to duck fast)
It could be helpful for him in later life

Nugby

Juniors
I feel like one of those Pommy reporters should have interviewed "Steely" Steve Mascord though!

Godz Illa

Coach
Our opponents have found some ominous form...

Bradford 10-44 Wigan

Bradford (0) 10
Tries: Whitehead, Ah Van
Goals: Ah Van
Wigan (26) 44
Tries: Roberts 2, Hansen, Leuluai, Farrell, Goulding, Carmont, S Tomkins
Goals: Deacon 6

Super League champions Wigan warmed up for next weekend's World Club Challenge with a comprehensive win at Odsal.
Fit-again winger Amos Roberts scored two of Wigan's eight tries on his first start since last June.
Harrison Hansen and George Carmont were again among the scorers, while Thomas Leuluai, Liam Farrell, Darrell Goulding and Sam Tomkins also crossed the line.

Bradford, 26-0 down at the break, came back in the second half with tries for Elliott Whitehead and Patrick Ah Van.
Bulls old boy Paul Deacon landed six of Wigan's eight conversion attempts on his return to familiar soil - for a game on a soaking, wet surface that survived a morning pitch inspection.

Roberts, who missed much of last season with a knee injury, missed the opening day Magic Weekend draw with St Helens last Saturday night to attend the birth of his son.
But, after being recalled in place of youngster Josh Charnley, he bounced in impressive fashion to fire a warning to his old St George Illawarra team-mates - ahead of next Sunday night's DW Stadium clash (27 February, 1915 GMT).
Roberts took just 10 minutes to mark his return for his first try since last June, adding a second after the break to snuff out a brief Bradford fightback.

The Bulls, beaten cruelly in the last-minute by local rivals Leeds last Sunday after letting slip a 28-12 lead at the Millennium Stadium in the final quarter, were without scrum-half Kyle Briggs and loose forward Jamie Langley.
And, with new signing Marc Herbert still sidelined, they had eight players making their home debut as new coach Mick Potter also took his Odsal bow.
Potter's last meeting with Wigan was at Old Trafford in the Grand Final in October when his St Helens side were beaten by the Cherry and Whites.

In contrast, Bradford's performance in last season's corresponding fixture was a lot more memorable, coming from 20-0 down at half-time to sensationally win 22-20.
But, despite memories of last season's stunning second-half fightback, this time the contest really did look over by half-time when Wigan ran in five tries to lead 26-0.
And the Bulls could only respond with tries from Whitehead and Ah Van, who landed the first of his two conversion attempts.

Nevertheless, they highlighted an improved performance after the break which showed enough spirit and determination to suggest that Potter's men could yet challenge for a play-off spot.

Wigan lost centre Martin Gleeson with a hamstring injury after 26 minutes but coach Michael Maguire expects him to line up against the Dragons next Sunday night

Bradford coach Mick Potter: "The score probably didn't reflect the toughness of it.
"There is a gap and Wigan are at the top of the pile. They are a good team and came up with some fantastic plays.
"We need to be better than that but we can improve. We make a bundle of errors, we put a lot of pressure on ourselves. We have got to be a bit more resilient with the ball."
Wigan coach Michael Maguire:
"It was very pleasing, especially after last week. It was good to see the boys doing what they are capable of doing. We will get a lot of confidence out of that.
"To see Amos Roberts run around the way he did was very positive for the team. It was good to see him back.
"Martin Gleeson could feel it tightening up so it was largely precautionary. From what I've been told by the doctor, it looks like it's pretty good news."
Bradford: Royston; Ah Van, Platt, Walker, Raynor; Sykes, Kearney; Scruton, L'Estrange, Lynch, Elima, Whitehead, Hargreaves.
Replacements: Kopczak, Diskin, Olbison, Sibbit.
Wigan: S Tomkins; Goulding, Gleeson, Carmont, Roberts; Deacon, Leuluai; Prescott, McIlorum, Fielden, Hoffman, Hansen, O'Loughlin.
Replacements: Farrell, Mossop, Coley, J Tomkins.
Attendance: 15,348.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/super_league/9400211.stm

The least Mick Potter could of done was tell his players to soften up the opponents for his old club. You know, a few forearms, the spear tackle being liberally used, coathangers, etc

mattmanche5ter

Juniors
A warm welcome to all your travelling fans from sunny wigan,hope you all enjoy your stay.for those of you not yet landed,the weather as got a bit milder( a full 4deg )but it's also got wetter.the pitch at the DW as been getting abit of stick lately but you'll be glad to know that its currantly being relaid to should make for the perfect playing surface.
There's a real buzz going about the town at the minute and the game can't come fast enough for us,my advice get into the town nice and early,sample the many bars in the town centre and then get to the ground nice and early,theres another bar right outside the ground,and for those with sensitive hearing bring some ear plugs,25,000 wiganers in there the place is gonna be bouncing.
enjoy the day guys,look forward to chatting to as many of you as i can in the north stand

Southernsaint

Staff member
A warm welcome to all your travelling fans from sunny wigan,hope you all enjoy your stay.for those of you not yet landed,the weather as got a bit milder( a full 4deg )but it's also got wetter.the pitch at the DW as been getting abit of stick lately but you'll be glad to know that its currantly being relaid to should make for the perfect playing surface.
There's a real buzz going about the town at the minute and the game can't come fast enough for us,my advice get into the town nice and early,sample the many bars in the town centre and then get to the ground nice and early,theres another bar right outside the ground,and for those with sensitive hearing bring some ear plugs,25,000 wiganers in there the place is gonna be bouncing.
enjoy the day guys,look forward to chatting to as many of you as i can in the north stand

Got to be your first full house in a while, haha!!

Us Aussies ahve to be the biggest complainers about weather int he world - you'd think the boys were going to Lapland the way they were talking about the weather. I went on a 12km hike in the Wicklow Mountains yesterday in only jeans and a jumper - it isn't that bad over here...

Can't wait to get over to Manchester and Wigan and get stuck in. Always love going to The North, it's the only place close enough to Ireland for me to get my meat pie fix...

Slackboy72

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...h-even-before-the-kickoff-20110221-1b2ju.html

Dragons play tough even before the kick-off

Steve Mascord

February 22, 2011

THE Dragons negotiated so ruthlessly over their involvement in next week's World Club Challenge that the immediate future of the fixture is under a cloud.
Rugby Football League officials are to ask the NRL to make it compulsory for this year's premiers to take part in the 2012 WCC - with a real danger it will be struck from next season's schedule unless a guarantee is forthcoming.
It has been reported the Dragons will receive better financial guarantees than any club in the chequered 35-year history of the concept - and their hard bargaining means the RFL will return little or no profit from the expected sold-out DW Stadium fixture.
Advertisement: Story continues below
"We will be speaking to the NRL in due course about the future of the tournament,'' RFL chief executive Nigel Wood said in a guarded statement to the Herald.
It is understood British officials were dismayed the NRL did not tell St George Illawarra they had to travel to England, instead allowing the club to negotiate directly with the RFL. Dragons chief executive Peter Doust - anxious not to interfere with annual pre-season games against South Sydney and Canterbury - briefly toyed with the idea of playing the match in Sydney and did not confirm the premiers' involvement for weeks.
"I knew it would happen - I wasn't sure if it would be in Australia or the UK," coach Wayne Bennett said after the Dragons arrived in London, where they will spend a week preparing before relocating to the outskirts of Manchester.
"That was just Dousty being Dousty. I'm pleased it's here. It's a great occasion for the players. It's just something special that will be with you for your whole football career. In 2006 … the warm-up game didn't do too much for us [Brisbane]. I just thought we spent too long here and I didn't feel we got a benefit out of it at all. We've had the Charity Shield, which was a pretty intense game, they all played half a game on Friday, on the plane and we play next Sunday. I'm happy with that. I hope it works for us. I'm sure it will."
The Dragons squad was split between two flights, which arrived at Heathrow on Sunday morning. They were met by just an official RFL video crew, Fairfax Media and one Australian television network.
Junior Kangaroos star Cameron King was added at the 11th hour after a back injury suffered by utility Nick Emmett in Friday night's pre-season win over the Bulldogs. Although in doubt, Emmett was named 18th man.
The Dragons will train this week at the Acton headquarters of Wasps rugby union club, coached by Shaun Edwards, who did an internship with Bennett in Brisbane.
After slumping to a late draw in round one against derby rivals St Helens in Cardiff, Wigan on Sunday warmed up for the WCC by blitzing Bradford 44-10 at Odsal Stadium. Former Dragon Amos Roberts scored two tries.

"Dousty being Dousty". Superb.

Latest posts