What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Conditions As A Fan

nrlnrl

First Grade
After seeing the Chooseday Night Football choices this week ( snow & rain ), I was wondering, what are the worst conditions you've been in as a fan ?

I'll always remember a game at Kogarah against Manly & I was with 2 Sea Eagles fans. We were on the hill & it started pouring, but our only cover was a Big League that we split up. As you can imagine, it was pretty wet by the end of 80 minutes. My afternoon was made a lot more enjoyable with a big Dragons victory. :D

At least 15 years ago as a kid, when I went and saw St George play Norths at Kogarah Oval. It was at night, blowing an absolute gale, freezing cold, and sheet rain that fell sideways for all 3 grades. And I think Norths won about 9-4, with Jason Taylor kicking a field goal to seal the game. Not a good day

Last edited:

Ausguy

Coach
sharks v knights in the late 80's very early 90's at caltex. was so dark during the day the lights got turned on and mad eno difference as they wer eonly training lights i think, and the kick off went backwards

roopy

Referee
A jersey flegg game two days after the flood in Newcastle.
The administration building was wrecked, the ground had been under 2 feet of water the day before, and it was still pouring rain during the game.

shipwreck037-1.jpg

shipwreck035.jpg

flegg034.jpg

Tigers v Eels at Leichardt around 98/99?

Absolutely pissing down; could barely see the game - had to take refuge in the trees on the Eastern boundary fence.

Eels lost something like 14-2

Angry_eel

First Grade
I haven't been going to the footy too long but there have been a few times. V Dragons a couple of years ago. It pissed down hard. Could hardly see the game. There was another in 2008 when it pissed down so hard that we stood under the cover of the stands and watched the game from the stairs for 15 minutes.

Red Bear

Referee
St George Illawarra vs NZ in 2005 i think, not wet but my god the hill at WIN stadium was f**king freezing, dont know if i have ever been that cold

bartman

Immortal
Norths v Parra at Parra Stadium, I think it was a Monday night game circa late 1990s?

Torrential rain. Couldn't see the players on the ground from the stands. Have had the same seats undercover on season tickets all these years and that was the one time we got wet, as the wind blew the rain into and along the stands.

Don't know how the players could see each other, or tell each other apart. Don't know what it came across like on TV. Ball handling was (of course) atrocious. A very forgettable game, apart from the dose of cold and flu that all the fans present and players would have come away with as a result.

Dutchy

Immortal
A jersey flegg game two days after the flood in Newcastle.
The administration building was wrecked, the ground had been under 2 feet of water the day before, and it was still pouring rain during the game.

shipwreck037-1.jpg

Isn't that just a regular Thursday morning for Newcastle?

Flapper

First Grade
Penrith v Roosters in 2007, within that 2 week patch where it just pissed down. There was only 5,831 of us hardy souls there, and considering I'm not a Penrith or a Roosters fan, it's just amazing!

sh*t game though, f**king Mitchell Pearce.

Knightmare

Coach
Gold Coast vs North Queensland, Carrara Stadium 2007. It looked like it was going to be a dry evening on the train down, but then during the game it started to PISS down with no relief whatsoever. It was like Mother Nature had drunk a 30 pack of Tooheys New cans the night before and was only now relieving herself.

I've stood in the rain before, but it got to the point where I ended up going and standing under an umbrella with this bloke in a Maroons jersey. I was wearing my Blues jersey, his mates all thought it was a crack- up and were taking photos.

After the game I walked through the car-park- or more like- negotiated my way through a field of mud, soaking wet and trying to stay as clean as possible. The one shining light was that an old mate of mine lived just up the hill, so I called him up, went over to his place and had one of the best hot showers I've ever had, while my sodden clothes hung over his bar heater. When I caught the last train back to Brisbane later that night, I was actually dry again!

Thank f**k the Titans moved to Robina!

HAL

Juniors
would love to see rugby league played in the snow,so if your keen vote for canberra vs wests game back in 2000 on foxsports chooseday night football.

Vossy

Bench
warriors v sharks a couple of years ago..weather was so bad [even for NZ], adam dykes suffered from hypothermia after the game :crazy:

Sharks v Panthers round 1 this year.

x2..that was horrendous [but fun to sit in :)], watered down beer was now just water, shoes were puddles, clothes were soaked..bloody great time

as the panthers ran out, foxsports managed to catch a lightening bolt and crack of thunder behind the southern stand..welcome to shark park..was awesome to see

dogs manly game copped it as well, so i saw

d9sgn.jpg

qybdxj.jpg

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
When it comes to games I've been to, 4 stand out in my mind.

2006 - Dragons v Eels @ Kogarah.

It pissed down, and if the rain was any colder it would've been hail. FREEZING night, and a dour contest to boot. The place only had 8-9k in it at the time but boy it went off when the winning field goal and then try was scored.

2009 - Bulldogs v Manly @ ANZ. I've been to plenty of games at ANZ, probably close to 100... but I can't remember the wind whipping the rain as far as the back row of the main level. We started the night near the sideline before the storm came through, but then moved to the very back row of the section against the steel fencing, and the wind and rain still found its way to the top. A wide shot of the stands that is a sight to be seen, fans packed into the very top five or six rows of every bay.

2006 semi - Dogs v Canberra @ ANZ. No rain all day from memory, but overcast. Then at the 8:30 kickoff, it began pelting. I was only wearing a jersey, so I went to the merch stand and they had no spray jackets left. I bought a blanket instead and huddled under it for the first 40. The players went off for halftime, and the rain abated. But, lo and behold, it resumed in full force when we ran out for the second half. Insane. Of course, it stopped after fulltime and was dry again :x

2009 - Knights/Broncos @ EAS. The rain was relatively brief but it was heavy and the accompanying storm which extended halftime to 35 minutes was insane. Was standing right near the pole that got struck. Needed a change of undies after that one :lol:

I have been to very few games in the rain, the worst I can remember was 2008 Parra vs Manly @ Parra. Rained pretty solidly the whole match, I think we ended up doing a runner at half time (I hate both of them, I just went for something to do on Friday Night). Crowd was around 11k, which for a Parra vs Manly game is pretty low.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The Knights/Broncos stands as the only game I've ever left at halftime. Being a neutral and being unsure if it would continue, we left. Wasn't worth staying around to get soaked some more. Ended up getting to Wests to watch the remainder of the game :lol:

Latest posts