What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst refereeing decision you've seen

May i offer some advice before you go on a bender on pretty umbrella drinks.

Try and comprehend what you read. Enjoy the weekend.
I can comprehend. You obviously can't. You're the one who has claimed through the entire thread that a penalty cen be reversed, when it clearly can't. And even when the rule was posted in black and white you still claimed it said what you had said, which it didn't. And even when other people have said you were wrong you still thought you were right. "Worst decision ever". What a clown.

2010Dragons

Bench
That Benji "drop-kick" in the semis last year was one of the worst decisions in recent memory, plenty to choose from when it comes to useless video refs. Good to see Butters still whinging around 06, I was cheering Brisbane home that night big time

Yes the drop kick who pretended to do a drop kick but actual droped it and the drop kick referees awarded the bloody try.

M2D2

Bench
Youre still wrong no matter how you slice it.
Youre either advocating the ref got it wrong for awarding the penalty to the wrong team which is plain incorrect to the letter of the law, or your saying he should have been sent off instead of sinbinned which is a matter of opinion on what should be a send off.
Nearly every post in this thread with all their different opinions on the worst, are much worse than yours as the ones being brought up are refereeing mistakes.

_Johnsy

Referee
Youre still wrong no matter how you slice it.
Youre either advocating the ref got it wrong for awarding the penalty to the wrong team which is plain incorrect to the letter of the law, or your saying he should have been sent off instead of sinbinned which is a matter of opinion on what should be a send off.
Nearly every post in this thread with all their different opinions on the worst, are much worse than yours as the ones being brought up are refereeing mistakes.

There you go, you've got it. IMO it was a blatant send off as it could have caused serious head injuries. No brainer IMO. Other calls are bad, very bad but not as clear cut IMO.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I agree with a few posters here. The 1989 Grand Final, given the stupidity of the decision, the context of it being made in a grand final, the time it was made in the game, the Raiders scoring off the next set of six and the subsequent result of that game makes that decision the clear winner.

Oh, I should add I was supporting the underdogs that day, the Raiders.

Danny-Boy

Juniors
The Gasnier knock on against Manly was a beauty. What was even funnier is Harrigan went home that night and saw the replay and said 'how the f**k did I award that?'.

The Parramatta 7 metre forward pass against Manly. Also funny as Shayne Hayne was running along with the play and had a perfect view.

Ben Barba's try against Newcastle. How the f**k do you award that a try? What are they looking at? Boggles the mind.

95 Grand Final, with the game in the balance, everyone knew it was the last tackle except the ref. Terry Lamb was poised to take the kick, looks up at Eddie Ward and his hand isn't raised. Instead he throws the ball out wide, they make a break and get tackled a few metres from the line. Bulldogs spread it and score on the 7th tackle.

96 Grand Final, was just before half time, Saints take a shot for goal to trail 8-2. Mathew Ridge takes the short kick off, picks up the ball and gets tackled clearly by brown, gets up and runs again taking it to the 20. Manly score of the next play.

2010 Grand Final, Morris clearly in touch, Saints score a few plays later. Absolutely horrible decision that may have cost the Roosters the game.

99 Grand Final, BEST CALL in a grand final, Jamie Ainscough penalty try. Absolutely correct decision. Like Manly in 97, have no idea how Saints lost the game.

M2D2

Bench
It was a horrible call. but really...the worst? Must be the fact Brisbane dont get many bad calls against them.

STORM.99/07

Bench
The Billy Slater "strip" in the 06 Grand Final.
The Shaun Berrigan shepherd that wasn't called in the 06 Grand Final.
The Matt King no try in the 06 Grand Final.
Justin Hodges throwing the ball over the sideline and Brisbane getting the scrum feed in the 06 Grand Final.
totally agree with this.
the refs come out the next day and said "We got these decisions wrong.
another way the nrl f...us

gUt

Coach
The one I hated the most was Brisbane at home to STGI crica 2006, a game that the Dragons narrowly won and had Jason Ryles laughing at the home fans and pointing at the scoreboard as he walked off.

We were giving it to them because of a longish right to left cut out pass that went at least 10 metres forward and led to a crucial dragons try. Even the silent types in the members that sat around us were getting rowdy at that one.

There you go, you've got it. IMO it was a blatant send off as it could have caused serious head injuries. No brainer IMO. Other calls are bad, very bad but not as clear cut IMO.
"Worst decision ever"

comic_book_guy.jpg

Anyone with more than a single brain cell disagrees. Not that this facade about thinking the decision was wrong because he should have been sent off is fooling anyone.

M2D2

Bench
Youre still missing the point of the thread.
The examples given are when the ref(s) has made a clear mistake. I.E. Ref let a forward pass go. Ref incorrectly awards the feed against the wrong team. ETC ETC.
Something that ISNT open for debate like what constitutes a Send off and what Constitutes a Sin Bin.

You may have disagreed with the decision of him not being sent off, but that doesnt make it an incorrect call.
Do you understand the difference yet?

anjado

Juniors
Mcguire 89
Anasta penalised for being punched
Bulldogs penalized for a high tackle on Colin Ward when Bulldogs had the ball and Colin Ward made the high tackle.
Ridge being tackled in 96 grand Final
Morris being in row 6 of the stand but still declared in the field of play.

I actually think the 96 and 10 grand final decisions were quite sinister and deliberate.

Two that haven't been mentioned

George Rose should have been sent off in the Grand Final last season for his blatant cheap shot forearm/elbow to the guy on the ground.

Steve Clark sending two Penrith players to the sin bin in 1999 against Parramatta for swearing when the next week on NRL on fox they show Dean Schifilitti swearing at him about 8 times in one scrum.

roofromoz

First Grade
I think it may have been on either Boots N All or Sunday Roast a few years ago - it was the Superleague Nines in Fiji, and Hancock (?) spills a drubber over the try line. It is referred to the video ref (a brand new concept at the time), and it was given.