What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you follow league if your club died/merged/relocated!!

Would you still follow league?

• Yes

Votes: 76 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 32.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 32 20.0%

• Total voters

bobmar28

Bench
The norths fans I knew walked away from the game altogether.

Wrong place to ask the question. This is a forum for league junkies - you won't get an accurate reflection of the mood to change here.

I am one of those short sighted people who think we will kill the game if we go down the path you are suggesting.

The game will die if we don't go down that path.

And yes I will follow NRL and my team, merged or not.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Yep, for sure, any of those if it meant RL getting stronger.

A Parra/Dogs team would be a bloody awesome club, the only thing that would really suck is the rivalry we have had over the decades would be killed stone dead.

And we would be fans of an unbeatable super club.

You know it's sad to see that 30% of people on this forum would apparently start following AFL/union/soccer.

Last edited:

Nickeel

Juniors
I'm afraid I'd be lost to the game.

I follow Parramatta because I've grown up with it all around me, have been passionate for decades, have had many reasons to cheer and also had my heart broken multiple times. :)

To tell the truth, the style of football on offer at the moment across the board is pretty boring (wrestling, athletic ability ruling out over skill in so many cases, automatons carting the ball up or scooting from dummy half etc.). If that's the way it's set to continue, then I don't think I would be wasting the time and money watching teams I don't care about. It's only that emotional club attachment that keeps me bound to the game. Lose that, and you've lost me.

I mean, who the f**k can get excited about the West Sydney Wolverines or the Northern Electrix or Southern Sydney Buccaneers or some or artificial, Americanised sh*t? Because you just know that's what we'd end up getting.

Nick

bobmar28

Bench
I stopped watching footy cold when Manly merged with the hated Bears. It was a year or two after Manly returned to the competition as a sole entity before i came back. Since then though, i've become almost as much of a rugby league fan as I am a Manly fan. Time, wife and baby permitting, i'll watch 4-5 games each weekend, whereas in the 80's and 90's i'd rarely watch a game that didn't involve Manly.

So I think if something happened to Manly again i'd probably still watch the game - if we merged i'd follow the newly merged team becuase, barring the Bulldogs, there are no other Sydney teams i hate as much as I hated the Bears. Having said that i sincerely wish they were still in the NRL. Nothing bought me more pleasure than travelling to North Sydney Oval (my second favourite stadium in Sydney) and watching us dish out a bear-spanking.

If we were moved i'd be crushed, as i assume my days of heading down the road to Brookie would be over. I'd still watch on telly, but i doubt i'd be able to find the motivation to travel from the beaches into the SFS/ANZ, or whichever of the western/southern grounds were still hosting footy. Probably the same if the club were booted entirely.

I feel fairly confident that worst case scenario will see Manly merged with maybe the Roosters, as you can't just leave the netire northern half of the city with no club.

There should always be a club on the north side.

steeden.

Juniors
If Brisbane got axed from the NRL I'd still support my league.. but it would involve shifting my focus to the Queensland Cup..

Junior Bunny

Juniors
Restart the whole competition from scratch. Follow what the a-league has done and we will reap the benefits. I would follow a united Sydney team that didnt have the Rabbitohs in its name, only if it didnt have Roosters in it either.

Junior Bunny

Juniors
I'm afraid I'd be lost to the game.

I follow Parramatta because I've grown up with it all around me, have been passionate for decades, have had many reasons to cheer and also had my heart broken multiple times. :)

To tell the truth, the style of football on offer at the moment across the board is pretty boring (wrestling, athletic ability ruling out over skill in so many cases, automatons carting the ball up or scooting from dummy half etc.). If that's the way it's set to continue, then I don't think I would be wasting the time and money watching teams I don't care about. It's only that emotional club attachment that keeps me bound to the game. Lose that, and you've lost me.

I mean, who the f**k can get excited about the West Sydney Wolverines or the Northern Electrix or Southern Sydney Buccaneers or some or artificial, Americanised sh*t? Because you just know that's what we'd end up getting.

Nick

Heres a name for ya. Sydney United

boonboon

Juniors
Tigers fan and i couldnt go through it again - I'd be at the waratahs instead

Thier is no reason we need less sydney teams- we just need top make the ones we have more profitable

Currently the sydney team attract about 15k each - thats 90000 fans each

Pay TV - cut sydney teams and cut the number of pay tv watchers - less tv money

Free to air - reduced ratings in NSW - less tv revenue

Sponsors - less involved - less money in the game

Less Merchandise sales

WA, Adelaide - those whofollow AFl alreadyhave pay tv, those who follow RU already have pay tv in WA.

We would get less pay tv money

Also we would not get free to air money for those cities unless they were on - and they wouldnt compete against the AFL - see Melbourne

Expansion would be ok - but keep the sydney clubs - a smart business would keep all the clubs and just work to make them stronger

As for forign rugby taking players - thier are 16 clubs thats 400 first grade squad players - if 10 go (all backs forwards wont make it) let them - it wont be every year and the french public will get bored quickly

English Super League (and im currently over here ) is sooo far off the nrl - hardly anyone watches it those who do would never put a soccer game in fronjt of it - Im in Leeds the sl champions and they are out talked out watched out everythinged by the 3rd division soccer team in leeds and thats despite doing lots of promotion work and a great ground and great promotional efforts

Reality check people reality check

drake

First Grade
What, again!?

I voted Maybe, in so far as they stayed the St george Dragons, wore the Red V and played at least half the games at Kogarah.

Otherwise, besu mi culo.

dannyboy

Juniors
I'd keep watching but I'd probably be a fan without a club.

Interesting to see the number of people here who'd stop altogether....I assume that they only watch the tv matches when their team plays???

chrisc101

Juniors
haha, I love how all Sydney clubs are collectively put together.

We went through this 10 years ago, and SOME clubs didn't make any hard decisions. But clubs like Wests, St George, Steelers, Balmain and Norths did.

So what is my point, well maybe it is time some of the clubs who sat on their hands and relied on their false economy of poker machines make a tough decision.

Personally I think mergers are not the same as relocation. Relocation is the much better option.

bobmar28

Bench
Tigers fan and i couldnt go through it again - I'd be at the waratahs instead

Thier is no reason we need less sydney teams- we just need top make the ones we have more profitable

Currently the sydney team attract about 15k each - thats 90000 fans each

Pay TV - cut sydney teams and cut the number of pay tv watchers - less tv money

Free to air - reduced ratings in NSW - less tv revenue

Sponsors - less involved - less money in the game

Less Merchandise sales

WA, Adelaide - those whofollow AFl alreadyhave pay tv, those who follow RU already have pay tv in WA.

We would get less pay tv money

Also we would not get free to air money for those cities unless they were on - and they wouldnt compete against the AFL - see Melbourne

Expansion would be ok - but keep the sydney clubs - a smart business would keep all the clubs and just work to make them stronger

As for forign rugby taking players - thier are 16 clubs thats 400 first grade squad players - if 10 go (all backs forwards wont make it) let them - it wont be every year and the french public will get bored quickly

English Super League (and im currently over here ) is sooo far off the nrl - hardly anyone watches it those who do would never put a soccer game in fronjt of it - Im in Leeds the sl champions and they are out talked out watched out everythinged by the 3rd division soccer team in leeds and thats despite doing lots of promotion work and a great ground and great promotional efforts

Reality check people reality check

Cut Sydney teams and cut the number of pay TV watchers?

I've said this in another thread but can you tell me which media outlet will bid more for the right to images of 9 Sydney teams playing in front of small crowds?

coolumsharkie

Referee
Yes. I'd rather a relocated club that maintains Manly's identity however. I'm about 45% resigned to the fact we're abut a 62% chance of moving to Kawana in the next dozen years...

f**ken hope not.. I'd be pissed off if the Sunshine Coast was a Manly Merger. How the hell could I follow them?

I voted No but a Coast team might rekindle my interest as this is now my home and has been for many years. So I would feel a part of that side like I do with Cronulla still. Eradicate a persons connection to a team and you nullify my interest and the fanbase in general by plenty.

Who the f**k is going to go to a game between the Southern DragonSharks v's The Western PantherEels?

Not this kid.

Last edited:

Nickeel

Juniors
Interesting to see the number of people here who'd stop altogether....I assume that they only watch the tv matches when their team plays???

I tend to watch most of the matches (five or so) on a given weekend. But that is because I have a team involved in the competition, and I enjoy the other traditional rivalries that come along from time to time. You're not getting, say, Souths v the Dragons in the Telstra Hyper League, are you?

Nick

The Preacher

First Grade
I've been through a merger that gave us a great breeding ground, but also gave us a financial liability.
The novelty of going to W'gong has worn a bit thin, and I don't think I could handle any more encroachment of Saints standing.
I'd still love the game and watch plenty on TV, but I think my "live watching" would be nearly entirely made up of the local junior competition.

smeghead

Bench
Ditto.

Once is enough.

Exactly the same.

If it was a relocation it depends on where and so forth but if the Wests Tigers become another team again identity wise than I an done with the sport at a first grade level and will go back to Metro Cup watching

Latest posts