What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y.N.W.A. Thread (Liverpool fans thread) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint.nick

Coach
Haha, told you all this wasn't just twitter gossip cb ;-) when were those rebuilding comments? Because he said it virtually every week.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
So Macca on Liverpool-Rumours was bang on again.

So glad he's gone but what a monumental f**k up by Michael Gordon to back him, spend another £80m, hire new back room staff and then sack him 8 games in.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Being reported by the same fella who said he's done last week that Klopp will be our new manager as well. Christmas has come early if it's true.

saint.nick

Coach
What a f**king wonderful morning. Cowboys won best ever GF night before, Arsenal ripped United to pieces, and Rodgers is gone. Cb4 was right, Rodgers gone by christmas, and Christmas has indeed come.

Foz

Bench
I hope the owners can give the new manager the finance to address the problems Rodgers never did.Obviously they'd be a bit gun shy after forking out a few hundred million over the last 18 months.
Central defenders are a must.
I suppose the new managers formation will determine other players required.

On last nights game whilst we were good in the first half Mignolet pulled off a couple of great saves to keep us in it.
In the second half poor old Lucas got left exposed a couple of times.One thing you know is Lucas will take one for the team but had to be blessed to stay on.

I didn't recognise Joe Allen when he came on.Thought he'd put a few kilos on which I always reckoned he needed.
Some of the players like Joe may be glad the transfer period is closed.
The manager who gets our gig will still have to endure games against some pretty handy sides in their backyards so it may take a while to get some results.Now he will be rebuilding the mess he's been left with.

saint.nick

Coach
I'd rather focus on midfielders and wingers before centre backs. We've got Sakho, Skrtel, Lovren, Toure and Gomez. I don't really rate Skrtel and ideally I want to see Gomez paired with Sakho.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Sakho looks awkward but he is easily our best, give Gomez a shot and try to convince Ilori he'll get a shot as well. He'll still have to agree the move to Villa so not all is lost. Id much prefer we work out how to get someone to effectively boss our midfield.

lolesi

First Grade
Hopefully we do get klopp and he can work some magic with a few tranfers from Germany !!

Jack_Napier

Staff member
If we do get Klopp you can just see how the reds fans would instantly worship the guy. He has the kind of personality that'll make him an instant hit no matter where he goes. The Kop would go apeshit the first home game with him standing pitch side in his tracksuit.

Gosh I really hope it happens, hopefully FSG gives him whatever he's asking for.

cb4

First Grade
Klopp plays with a Defensive Mid which is a brilliant.

He also plays with a very defensive back 4, so Moreno will be in the spotlight.

Interesting to note as well, Klopp tried to sign Firmino.

This article from ESPN FC sums up the problems very well I think -

How Brendan Rodgers' relationship with Liverpool owners FSG soured
by Tony Adams

It started with a Year Zero philosophy and ended with nothing but regrets. Brendan Rodgers has left Liverpool in worse shape than he found it in the spring of 2012. Success for the club and the American owners, Fenway Sports Group, seems more remote than ever. A significant overhaul of Anfield is needed.

When Kenny Dalglish was summoned to Boston and dismissed to make way for Rodgers, Liverpool were holders of the League Cup and could boast two genuine stars in the team in the shape of Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez. Now, the trophy room contains only relics of another age. In the dressing room, things look even more dispiriting.

The next manager will find no world-class talent available when he meets the squad. He will be hopeful that Daniel Sturridge will stay fit long enough to fulfill his potential and that Philippe Coutinho will stop flickering and shine with more consistency. Rodgers inherited Pepe Reina and Jamie Carragher -- added to the two superstars, they formed a spine for the team. The incoming boss will have to search every nook and cranny of the old ground to find some backbone. There has been little sign of any on the pitch this season.

When FSG bought Liverpool, the new owners were astounded by the way football works: how unprofessional it is in many areas in comparison with American sports. They were amazed by the rank stupidity of some of its common practices, the rampant venality and the unscientific approach to recruitment. They decided to take a fresh approach. The youthful Rodgers would lead them into a new era.

Rodgers refused to work with a director of football. It was his first mistake. The next big one came at the end of the transfer window in summer 2012. He sent Andy Carroll out on loan after being expressly told by the owners that the big Geordie could not leave until "a couple of additional forwards" had arrived. The double move, sending Carroll to West Ham United and scuppering the initial Sturridge deal, left the squad short of strikers. More important, it caused fury in FSG's Boston headquarters. The rage increased further when Rodgers told the press that Carroll's departure was "99.9 percent about finance." It was the first time the manager sent blame in FSG's direction. It would not be the last.

The Northern Irishman tried to pull off a power play that even Jose Mourinho might have blanched at. He thought it would bring him Clint Dempsey. It brought him the transfer committee.

To make sure the chaos of August 2012 never happened again, FSG brought in a system of checks and balances. It took power away from the manager. It also doomed him to work with players he may not have naturally signed.

The 42-year-old used the infamous committee as a scapegoat on a number of occasions. It became easy to blame recruitment failures on others. It is not quite that simple. Rodgers' eye for talent is questionable and FSG were never going to bet the future on their manager's choices. However, some of Liverpool's methods of grading players appear equally bewildering.

In the January window of 2014, with the 16-game unbeaten league run that would produce an unlikely challenge for the title already underway, one of Liverpool's owners had a conversation with an acquaintance. The person involved expressed surprise that the club were trying to sign Mohamed Salah at a time when the squad was heavily stocked with wingers. Rodgers was making it clear that he wanted a defender. The answer was simple, the FSG man said, there were no defenders out there.

This was met with some surprise. The acquaintance suggested that defensive players were the cheapest and easiest to find. Thirty-goal strikers are rare. Full-backs and centre-halves are more plentiful. The owner nodded sagely and went away to ask the question of his scouts. He reiterated later that they had reaffirmed "over and over" their opinion. Too often, it has felt like Liverpool have not addressed the team's immediate needs. The same is true of their fixation with buying younger players. No one seems to be balancing potential with experience, callowness with leadership qualities.

Any sympathy for Rodgers should be tempered by the way he used the dysfunction in recruitment to deflect from his own deficiencies. The attempts to turn the blame on the owners over the past few days may have hastened his exit. His "give me the tools" comments after the Aston Villa game and "I will do my best with what I'm working with" before the derby at Goodison would have hardened attitudes in Boston. Finger-pointing in public is unseemly.

The problem for FSG and the next manager is making sure they do not fall into the same trap. They need to be working with the same purpose. Liverpool cannot afford to spend so much -- nearly £300 million -- and get so little in return. It may be that FSG think a new man can make this squad into serious top-four contenders. There is little evidence to back this up.

Anfield needs a change of direction. A strong director of football would help. The leading candidates for the manager's job -- Jurgen Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti -- enjoy working in such a structure. Mike Gordon, the FSG president, has adopted a de facto director of football role but his experience in the game is limited.

There is some truth in the departing manager's comments. Liverpool have been drifting since Suarez's departure. The collective directionless in recruitment should be addressed and responsibility apportioned.

The arrival of a new man should be a time to take stock. Next week marks the fifth anniversary of FSG's takeover and it is time for the owners to prove that the harsh lessons of that half-decade have been taken on board. The club has an every-man-for-himself feel about it at the moment. The best-run clubs have a tight troika of command with the manager, director of football and chief executive working closely together and taking responsibility. At the moment, Liverpool have none of those three. If the club continue with the same policies, there will be only more regrets and zero chance of the new manager turning it around.

I think that last paragraph is very poignant.

cb4

First Grade
Makes for interesting reading. Someone I know has told me something drastic happened behind the scenes for this to happen so suddenly. It was a combination for a fallout with the Hierarchy, to Klopp agreeing to take over.

What I do know, Brendans comments about re-building sealed his fate. The give me the tools and I will make them work comment also contributed.

The owners are furious that they gave him 200 million and we are still re-building.

If anyone can, search on iTunes podcasts, the anfield index podcast #87 with Graeme Kelly. The guy knows his LFC shit.
He knows someone in the commercial side of the company, and he said that the owners have listened to the fans, thats why we are getting Klopp.
He also makes some other interesting comments.

Worth a listen if you have an hour to spare.

saint.nick

Coach
Makes for interesting reading. Someone I know has told me something drastic happened behind the scenes for this to happen so suddenly. It was a combination for a fallout with the Hierarchy, to Klopp agreeing to take over.

What I do know, Brendans comments about re-building sealed his fate. The give me the tools and I will make them work comment also contributed.

The owners are furious that they gave him 200 million and we are still re-building.

If anyone can, search on iTunes podcasts, the anfield index podcast #87 with Graeme Kelly. The guy knows his LFC shit.
He knows someone in the commercial side of the company, and he said that the owners have listened to the fans, thats why we are getting Klopp.
He also makes some other interesting comments.

Worth a listen if you have an hour to spare.

I listened, but the mystery is still why did it take Liverpool so long to contact Klopp? Especially when you consider the fact that Henry is a known admirer and already approached Klopp two times before? Why did it need take the fans' voices to convince them that Klopp was their man? Assuming Kelly to be correct, Klopp is a guy that absolutely jizzes over Liverpool, but shit it took a while for Liverpool to acknowledge that didn't they...

Don't understand why Kelly was so heartbroken when he got sacked. I think he developed a bit too much of an emotional personal connection. But at least he's moved on, his twitter avatar is Klopp wearing LFC gear :lol: Must really mean that the deal is basically sealed...

cb4

First Grade
Graeme Kelly supports Liverpool, so he supports the manager. He also explained that the best season of his life was 13/14 and he credits Rodgers to that more than Suarez. He raises fair points in his explanation.

I am also sure that Kelly has been to functions with Liverpool and developed a personal connection with the manager. From what I know, when Rodgers actually talks to people, he is a very nice guy.

saint.nick

Coach
He did raise fair points, but ultimately he wasn't looking at the bigger picture. I always want my managers to do well but I won't be angry if they deservedly get the chop.

BR is a nice dude though. He's always come across that way.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Talk of Klopp being unveiled in the next 24 hours. Cant see it happening that quick to be honest but would love FSG to move that quickly. Think I'd actually be gutted if he didn't come now.

Honestly cannot believe how excited this possible appointment has got me, from feeling frustrated as hell with BR in charge to this all in the space of a week.

Last edited:

lolesi

First Grade
Wouldn't be surprised jack !! Can't imagine BR would have been sacked without some kind of communication with Klopp beforehand.

But I 100% agree, so exciting and just want to read the heading he has signed. Very excited

Haffa

The International break gives you a bit of time to secure things, players won't be back until late next week

Status
Not open for further replies.