What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Knights Matchday " Experience "

Karmawave

Bench
40% increase, or the $2 depending on which way you look at it.

:lol: So when Dairy Farmers puts up the price of their milk by 40% in a one year period, that would be ok because it would only be about 80 cents...

Yeah, the public wouldn't be mad about that at all would they.

perverse

Referee
dunno where you buy your dairy farmers... $2 for milk is a bargain these days! lol.

look i haven't bothered to get into this pretty ridiculous "shot" at our match day experience up until now... because i honestly thought that the match day experience was a vast improvement... and is on the right track.

honestly.. the only gripes i had about the match day experience was the shot-to-sh*t sound system. i expect long wait times to get food at public events. it's not unique to the knights... and anyone saying that it is is having a laugh (or is a massive drama queen). when i went to get food about 45 mins before the main game there was about a 1 min wait.

the cheerleaders are back! very happy about that one.

jessica mauboy was, sadly, wasted with the sound system... however it all goes back to 1 problem and i'm not gonna double dip and create 2 problems out of the 1 here.

parking wasn't an issue, we parked near wests and walked to the stadium. that's all part of my match day experience (get in early enough that there is plenty of parking surrounding the venue... when i leave, go to wests and have a few brews, then piss off home lightly tanked and... after a win... quite jovial). we've always tried to avoid the parking fees at all costs... so it didn't affect me at all. however, $7 for 2 -> 4+ hours of paid parking is, realistically, pretty standard affair in this day and age. if you're happy to help the knights by paying stupid amounts for the food, then i can't see why it should be any different forking out a couple more dollars for parking. the reality is that the parking lot is going to fill just about every game we play.. and raising the price there is a surefire way to get a bit of extra cash in the coffers.

yes, the sound system is buggered... but the one thing you're overlooking, karma, is that the knights have made a genuine attempt to improve things on last year. things like the big screen and the sound system should be addressed by hunter venues, it is not the knights place as tenants to pay for these upgrades/repairs (we don't have the cash to do so... and half the stink about the stadium at the moment is about exactly that issue.. the knights paying for stadium maintenance).

once again, drama for the sake of drama. nothing new in this thread.

Karmawave

Bench
I should cut SOME slack, because frankly the fact there is decent cheerleaders almost wipes out any problem completely. ;-)

It will be interesting to see where from here though Perverse.

Last year I had no problems whatsoever with the parking and line ups and the food service improved as the year went on in 2008, but I dunno, we'll see how it comes along in 2009.

It just seems the same mistakes to me, year in year out.

One thing improves while another regresses. Its a catch 22.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Karmawave said:
Last year I had no problems whatsoever with the parking and line ups and the food service improved as the year went on in 2008, but I dunno, we'll see how it comes along in 2009.
Yes, but see, the cheerleaders were diabolical :p

perverse

Referee
the cheerleaders last year were absolutely unforgivable... no doubt about it. lol.

i can see where you're coming from karma, but really i think the knights have tried to put their best foot forward this year. hopefully they are aware of a few issues that did occur on sunday and try to address them. while it does sound like the food service was dodgy early on (i wasn't there at 1 so cannot comment on that one)... i can only say that it was no problem when i went... and while these issues should be addressed, i honestly don't believe that our future hinges on our match day experience. if we keep winning on the field, the crowds will come... dodgy service or not.

Stranger

Coach
The food prices didn't increase 40% did they?

It isn't hard to figure out man.

Food prices itself vary from year to year. Fair enough.

The only reason the Knights put the carpark prices up 40% for the fans prepared to go and support them in tough financial times, is because they are pr*cks. :lol:

No one can justify a 40% increase in anything from one year to the next. I don't think you get the point. Its irrelevant if it's ' only ' $2. It was 40%.

It doesn't even worry me as far as the cost goes, but like Pika said, I'm a big picture kinda guy and you don't think things like that p*ss off average Joe Public who are already fork out money on going to the games?

The outcry when milk goes up 10%... from $2 to $2.20...

Don't have to drink milk either do ya? ;-)

A 40% increase on something that didn't have to be increased for any other reason than greed, is a joke. You can mock it all you like.

Yeah they CAN justify a 40% increase... Less parking, but they still need to make the same money... it was ONLY 2 BUCKS!!!! 2!!!! What did you want the standard 2% here and there so you have to search for 5.10? Be realistic and try thinking before 'whinging'. The club needs money so they HAVE to increase prices to make it.

$3.50 for a can of Pepsi... you pay 4 bux for one of those 360mil cokes at the SCG... We are no different.

Ontop of that... 7 bucks is DIRT CHEAP. My work has 4 hour parking at $40 :lol: On top of that what car park has ever had a smooth exit after the game? You can wait in any like for an hour after a football game at ANY stadium....

You say the Knights need to make more money but at the same time you are mocking the things that will make them money like parking fees.

I question whether you are a real fan, because most of the things you complain about are the same things that are helping the club... And I do say most... things like the sound system and the big screen... well fair point. In all your posts I am still yet to see a positive, which means you truly are the definition of a pessimist.

Ohh and matty, no doubt you are correct there :lol:

Serc

First Grade
Some good points above...all I care about when going to the footy is getting in the gate, sitting down with some mates and enjoying the game...and getting out of there in a reasonable time afterwards. Trying to organise a system for 10,000-25,000 people all getting in and out and eating and sitting in the one place is never going to be perfect.

I would hate to see what Karma would have to say with the setup for getting in and out of some parts of Suncorp. They have done very well given the constraints they have (being almost in the city). There are 10-15 min waits for food & drinks, even though there are heaps and HEAPS of outlets (even a Red Rooster or two!) serving people. This is a joint where they have to arrange for up to 50,000+ people and is considered the 'best' stadium for RL in the world, where the above is par for the course.

There was *only* 40,000 people in there last Friday and it took me a good 15 mins plus to get from my seat to the main walkway to the train station (ie: getting out of the stadium - this is also par for the course.

There are lots of other things I could comment on but I guess people have to realise (and most do) that some concessions have to be made in these situations - it is completely different to grabbing the packet of chips out of the cupboard, the beer out of the fridge followed by the few steps to the couch to watch the game.

PS: Took me 1.5 hours to get home last Fri night, and I live about 45 mins/35km drive from the place with a pretty clear run for most of the way. Pretty similar to going from Maitland to EAS.

Karmawave

Bench
Yeah they CAN justify a 40% increase... Less parking, but they still need to make the same money...

:lol:

And you don't think the Knights have included that situation in the compensation figure that they are wanting from Hunter Venues?!

All I am trying to point out, is that a 40% increase in the price of any product or service from any company is a huge increase - even if it was only $2.

Does it even affect me personally? Not at all!

The economy is struggling in a big way, and that's the reward the Knights have for the loyal fans who are still trying to support them during the current economic climate.

You might trivialise it, and try and make out like its not very much, and compare it to more expensive parking places etc - but that isn't even the point.

If the Knights were charging $10 for parking and kept that price the same from year to year or had smaller increases, I wouldn't even give a sh*t. That would be fine.

No one seems to get it that a 40% increase in the price of ANYTHING from one year to the next is a major increase, especially when there's no reason for it at all and the people it targets are the fans still prepared to help the Knights by attending games in a rough financial climate.

And no positives from me? Look harder. There's been quite a few lately.

keeney

First Grade
Perhaps they realized their pricing scheme was well below industry standard and brought it up to date over one season? They're a club in financial peril, I don't think they're going to cushion a price hike in parking if they realize they can be making more money out of it.

Karmawave

Bench
And that's clearly what has happened Keeney, they've probably been undercharging for too bloody long!

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Btw Karma, you're complaining about it took too long to get out of the ground. You don't want to go to Skilled Park then ...

Stranger

Coach
:lol:

And you don't think the Knights have included that situation in the compensation figure that they are wanting from Hunter Venues?!

All I am trying to point out, is that a 40% increase in the price of any product or service from any company is a huge increase - even if it was only $2.
So HV owe the knights money and the knights are claiming for that money... does that put the money in their pockets now? No it doesn't, so the knights have to chase some extra $. I still CANNOT see the problem in the parking fees going from $5 to $7...

You would be the same people who say the NRL is underselling the NRL rights and by your reckon can't make up for lost ground because the % increase is far to much right?

Does it even affect me personally? Not at all!

The economy is struggling in a big way, and that's the reward the Knights have for the loyal fans who are still trying to support them during the current economic climate.

You might trivialise it, and try and make out like its not very much, and compare it to more expensive parking places etc - but that isn't even the point.

If the Knights were charging $10 for parking and kept that price the same from year to year or had smaller increases, I wouldn't even give a sh*t. That would be fine.

No one seems to get it that a 40% increase in the price of ANYTHING from one year to the next is a major increase, especially when there's no reason for it at all and the people it targets are the fans still prepared to help the Knights by attending games in a rough financial climate.

And no positives from me? Look harder. There's been quite a few lately.

You are blowing 40% out of context in an attempt to make your argument look strong and its just not working mate. In all fairness the Knights should be charging minimum $10 and people should be counting themselves lucky that it is THAT CHEAP. We aren't talking about a car that is worth 40,000 having a 40% increase to 56,000... we are talking about a $5 goint to $7. Which is still outrageously cheap no matter what spin you want to put on it.

You say there is no reason to up prices yet you say the knights need to look at making more money?

So what are the knights to do... drop the prices so they go bust:? Me thinks you are thinking about yourself and only yourself. You keep bringing up the current economic climate, numerous times you have mentioned these 'hard times', but facts are the knights are struggling in the current economic climate and need to do something about it to keep themselves up and running. If that includes a $2 parking rise then so be it.

Karma said:
And that's clearly what has happened Keeney, they've probably been undercharging for too bloody long!

HAHAHAHAHAHA, and you are bitching about an increase... that puts the price still nowhere neer where it should be! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Karmawave

Bench
Oh Stranger, chillax man, it's only meant to stir up some spirited debate.

On that front it worked.

The Knights probably should have been charging a minimum $10 ages ago :lol:

Truth is, I don't even park in there! HAHA

Jobdog

Live Update Team

On that front it worked.

So why the f**k do you complain about it? And make sure the whole "oh its a 40% increase" gets a run? FMD.

keeney

First Grade
Christ Karma, you can't argue over something this minuscule for the grand sum of 7 pages and then tell other people to calm down. It's pretty frustrating that such a non issue even gets to this point.

Stranger

Coach

On that front it worked.

shipment_of_fail.jpg

Karmawave

Bench
Christ Karma, you can't argue over something this minuscule for the grand sum of 7 pages and then tell other people to calm down. It's pretty frustrating that such a non issue even gets to this point.

Well to be fair Keeney, there was other things mentioned in the very first thread that are valid points.

Everyone has taken it upon themselves to focus only on the prices of food and carparking when the fact remains there is alot of other things mentioned that have been conveniently ignored for the most part.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
to be fair karma... around 50%... if not more... of your initial post was a spewing diatribe about the $2 increase in parking. it was also the only parts underlined and bolded.

pretty sure i addressed everything in my post though. i wouldn't say you addressed "a lot" of things.. but there were other things. a lot of people have had their say on that too.