What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youtube remove NRL videos

Hellsy

Immortal
[furrycat] said:
You're joking aren't you?!?

Honestly... Why not let people promote the game on websites? They aren't losing any money because of videos being posted up!

For f**k sake!

Here Here...stupid NRL pieces of sh*t.... they whinge as to why the game is loosing fans..... yet they cant leave up videos for viewing for people that are interested.

Take your head out of your fkn arse Gallop

Hass

Juniors
It's quite clear the NRL just doesn't understand how the media works.

This is the same kind of blinkered thinking that makes them hand out exclusive radio rights.

Youtube is an amazing outlet to have your product on.

The NRL just don't understand how to sell a product - and I thought we were supposed to be a 'business' these days.

Cheers.

Choppies

Coach
drake said:
Here's my diatribe submitted to the above website.
"Dear Mr Gallop and NRL legal staff,

Whilst I understand that you feel you own the Intellectual Property of Rugby League, regardless of the fact that the game existed a long time before the NRL was created, the removal of these snippets of Rugby League geatness has only hurt the game, and seemingly more importantly, your own possible revenues.

The fact that people from any corner of the globe may have stumbled across some highlights of hard, skillful and brilliant play may have lead to real international interest. Obviously, from this shortsighted and greedy decision, the sheer numbers of people that visit youtube daily and the possible exposure to international sportsfans has eluded you.

No longer can avid sports fans in the US (and let's face it, they're the ones you want) click on a video, wondering what the hell a rugby league is, and see a game that makes gridiron look like ballet dancers in crash helmets having a tea party.

Good job guys! You own our game now! You've done a bang up job of slowly choking the game to a select group of corporate entities, solely designed to keep sponsors able to advertise to their target audiences.

Too bad none of the companies I see listed below (Telstra, Carlton, Harvey Norman et al) want their products sold overseas."

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Well said. Pity they will probably choose to ignore it.

It was the same when they denied VNRL the stats and canned their own Fantasy NRL. Throwing away the thousands of fans who'd be interested in every game because their team is riding on it because the NRL think they should make a buck out of it.

But in the end, they don't anyway.

Pointless grandstanding.

choc_soldier

Coach
This is rubbish, for all the points mentioned so far.

Shooting themselves in the foot on a massive scale.

Lego_Man

First Grade
And they're not just using a shotgun, they're using a bloody howitzer...the NRL has the worst promotion and media relationship that you could imagine.

ocko

juniors
the google takeover of youtube has really stuffed most of youtube...they took down a lot of sports-related sh*t for copyright reasons shortly after the google takeover, i had a sh*tload of old nfl videos up there i loved watching that they took down.

It's becoming more corporatised and crapper every day, youtube.

Ah, good old capitalism. f**k capitalism!

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Just on the VNRL thing - can anyone give me a run down of exactly what happened?

How did they deny tries being used???

innsaneink

Referee
Prodigiousman said:
Just on the VNRL thing - can anyone give me a run down of exactly what happened?

How did they deny tries being used???

In VNRL, they had 'forward tries'...which if one of your selected forwards totalled 40 hitups & tackles, that counted as a try, VNRL used NRL stats to calculate forward tries, and NRLBIGBRO didnt like it.

ocko

juniors
i wonder what would happen if you took the stats out of the next week's big league, entered them into a database, and it calculated scores from there? Would encompass more time and make the game slower, but surely they couldn't do anything about it?

innsaneink

Referee
ocko said:
i wonder what would happen if you took the stats out of the next week's big league, entered them into a database, and it calculated scores from there? Would encompass more time and make the game slower, but surely they couldn't do anything about it?

Big League stats <--> Ian Collis, NRL Stats.

ocko

juniors
am aware of that

But the question is, when does something stop being their property and just become a fact? Surely they can't claim any form of ownership over simple facts?

*Paul*

Juniors
If you can demonstrate that a reasonable amount of effort has been put into compling said facts, I believe so.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Ah k - well if they used tackles as a defining stat - then I can see why NRL STATS did what they did - not that I agree with how protective they are mind you...

The problem I have with it Prodigiousman is that even though VNRL weren't paying for the stats, there were 10s of thousands of people playing it and interested in every NRL game because of it.

The NRL seem to think the internet isn't a communication tool.

Quigs

Immortal
To me it is just another example of the modern game thinkers and the modern game pysche

"get as much money and blood out of the commodity they call the spectators, and give them nothing"

Don't worry it will eventually come back and bite them on the arse.

Cheers
Quigs

millersnose

Post Whore
Maybe an online petition and an alert about the petition sent to all clubs and major sponsors and major press organisations.

if the sponsors are aware of the fact the coverage they pay for is being geniused by the NRL they can make things uncomfortable for the NRL