What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Youtube remove NRL videos

Does this apply to all NRL footage or only the Channel 9/Foxtel vision ?

If someone takes their video camera to a game and records some footage, can they stop that being shown ?

Maybe that's what we need to start doing, LU could become the repository for amateur footage.

millersnose

Post Whore
Bastard_Squad said:

If someone takes their video camera to a game and records some footage, can they stop that being shown ?

Maybe that's what we need to start doing, LU could become the repository for amateur footage.

i think the point is youtube is one of the most heavily used sites in the world

therefor gets far more hits than LU would, assuming LU would be interested in, or even have the resources to hold such a library

Same issue though, is their anything that could stop amateur footage of NRL matches being posted in youtube ?

ocko

juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
The problem I have with it Prodigiousman is that even though VNRL weren't paying for the stats, there were 10s of thousands of people playing it and interested in every NRL game because of it.

The NRL seem to think the internet isn't a communication tool.

Quite correct, they are hopeless when it comes to the internet. Apparently they don't allow websites press accreditation, even though online journalism is expanding at a rapid rate. In every area of life, the internet is changing things, but the nrl seem to actively want to spike anything that could come out of the 'net for rugby league.

ocko

juniors
Bastard_Squad said:
Same issue though, is their anything that could stop amateur footage of NRL matches being posted in youtube ?
i don't think you're allowed to film nrl matches anyay

fourplay

Juniors
I used to post NRL vids like RL's biggest hits and tri nations highlights on international forums with great exposure like bodybuilding.com ... It always got people interested and had Americans saying things like "damn I wish we had that here." They just lost free advertising the morons !!!

jed

First Grade
Bastard_Squad said:

If you're taking footage yourself, most of the time the NRL will turn a blind-eye to it, seeing as it's for personal use. As soon as you start distributing it, that's when you'll face their wrath.

Other footage taken in the grounds (you'd have to check with the individual stadiums though) should be fine, such as the footage the WTF's had on here a few months ago at Canberra.

Knightmare

Coach
It's times like this I can't help but wonder how much different (better?) the game would be if the Broncos had never been admitted to the comp and every club had stood against News Ltd. in 1995.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
LeagueNut said:
Maybe this fine website could offer something similiar instead ... ??
Unfortunately its not possible at this stage, and there appear to be some copyright issues.
Bastard_Squad said:

You would first have to check if there are any licensing or copyright issues. I'd rather not speculate.
noddiesnut said:
i think the point is youtube is one of the most heavily used sites in the world

therefor gets far more hits than LU would, assuming LU would be interested in, or even have the resources to hold such a library
We can always find the space and a sponsor to cover costs. The main issue is finding committed personnel to look after it, and making sure its done right as I mentioned above.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
jed said:
If you're taking footage yourself, most of the time the NRL will turn a blind-eye to it, seeing as it's for personal use. As soon as you start distributing it, that's when you'll face their wrath.

There's no grey area when it is for personal use. You simply are not permitted to film the game whether it be for distribution or personal use. I've had people at my games do it but after they were spotted they were made to stop. Simply put, whether you believe the TV deal is enough or not they have the exclusive access to film and distribute the footage as agreed to by the terms of the contract. I can't go into the movies and film the movie on my handycam so I can personally use it later so why should there be any difference.

jed

First Grade
I'm not saying it's a grey area, there are mentions on the back of your ticket and at the entrance of most grounds that clearly state you're not allowed to record the games, all I'm saying is that the NRL officials in the past didn't hassle you if you were standing there with a handycam. That may change now that they're trying to enforce their exclusivity rights on the games.

Quigs

Immortal
Rodzillas nuts said:
Youtube is league's only chance of being noticed outside four countries.

It is also one of the few venues going where the youngens of today can actually find some footage of the legends us old farts always ramble on about.

Yeah great decision NRL -- you show the world who is boss of your game....

"as its not the farrrrrrcan supporters - the ones that made the game"

You useless arsewipes........

Cheers
Quigs (yes I am snakey about this)

sydraider

First Grade
Disgusting, if the nrl had any sense, they would promote this yet we are run by a governing body, thinking inside the square.

sydraider said:
Disgusting, if the nrl had any sense, they would promote this yet we are run by a governing body, thinking inside the square.

This isn't even thinking, this is heads in the sand stuff. Utter stupidity in my book.

BF

Juniors
i recall watching the last few minutes of the saints v broncos game earlier this year when morris scored in the last few seconds and gorrell converted. There were comments from ppl who watched that game on youtube and a lot were from OS... and they were all saying, that while they knew nothing about RL it was an exciting sporting moment... damn u NRL

Latest posts